PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-watch thread ATL @ NE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my thoughts:

1. I'm not sure if Marsh or anyone is capable of knowing what a player on the other side of the line is doing.
2. Part of the reason Marsh lost edge containment was that he was held. He took an initial step towards the inside gap but moved back to the outside when Ryan started to scramble.
3. The step to the inside was necessary to close the inside running lane imo.
4. The ref wasn't going to call anything on that play apparently.

Hands to the face? Marsh's head snaps back during the play.
View attachment 18391

Marsh was protecting both gaps. His move to the inside closed that gap.
View attachment 18393

This is when Marsh attempts to move to the outside. He is being held. There is no doubt on this.
View attachment 18392

Still being held.
View attachment 18394

Thanks for the great analysis and frame by frame- very helpful. My assessment is that Marsh became an one-gap rusher (as well as lost the battle) when he overcommitted to one side (inside) which I don't think was something he should have done because you had KVN spying from the flat (he eventually picked up the backer). We'll never know what the call was, and I could well be completely wrong, but it's fun to analyze and speculate.

The stuff on the field goal block and how it was a pattern for Atlanta to line up like that is great stuff. Good job by coaching to pick up on it and Marsh to execute.

In terms of the scramble.. I mean look at all the space vacated. I just dont see how in this situation the first priority of Marsh is rushing the passer instead of protecting the edge and funnel a potential QB scramble inside:

u88UI5z.jpg

There is just nobody on the outside at all. I think this is one of those plays that Nink used to nail so well where he put up pressure but rarely overcommitted to the point where he lost outside leverage too much.

Chathams review is up and I am looking forward to hear his take on it.
I see it exactly the opposite. 4th and 7 vs a non mobile qb you tell your DL to sell out to get pressure.

Marsh’s comments after the game were something to the effect of it’s not great to have Matt Ryan running free but it’s a lot better than devonte Freeman or Julio Jones running free.
I think thise comments are an iSight to the approach gameplan and coaching he was given.

Here are my thoughts:

1. I'm not sure if Marsh or anyone is capable of knowing what a player on the other side of the line is doing.
2. Part of the reason Marsh lost edge containment was that he was held. He took an initial step towards the inside gap but moved back to the outside when Ryan started to scramble.
3. The step to the inside was necessary to close the inside running lane imo.
4. The ref wasn't going to call anything on that play apparently.

Hands to the face? Marsh's head snaps back during the play.
View attachment 18391

Marsh was protecting both gaps. His move to the inside closed that gap.
View attachment 18393

This is when Marsh attempts to move to the outside. He is being held. There is no doubt on this.
View attachment 18392

Still being held.
View attachment 18394

Great one, Tony!

People are too harsh on Marsh. Should give Cass a pass..

He came as ST + situational player (3rd downs) and is trying to do the best he can in his expanded role for some of which he doesn't have the size (watch how tackles are tossing around Haason Reddick when ARI plays him at DE).

BB&MP must be much more pleased with him than fans/media . increasing his role and duties by the game (vs ATL he played close to 80% of the snaps making him virtually a starter . and playing only 5 snaps on ST as consequence).

He brought a lot of energy to NE lazy pass rush from the start of the season. He lacks size and power for NE DE - stepping up for all the DE mishaps this team had - but he goes for it and he is relentless.

This is why I hate it when they don't include the presnap footage with the all-22 (or were you able to see it?). If Brady called the "alert" prior to this snap (tapping his helmet), we would know 100% for sure that this route was coverage based because as you know, the "alert" audible signifies that a route or new play is now based on the coverage or alignment identified at the line.
I didn't see the pre-snap and wish I had. My impression is that the route was coverage based on when Cooks looks back to Brady and the fact that Cooks looks back over his right shoulder which makes it look like he was looking for the ball to be thrown just where Brady threw it.

On the 3rd down play in the red zone that was incomplete to Hogan and eventually lead to a FG to make it 10-0.

That ball wasn't meant for him. He was covered the entire time. Looks like Brady lost his balance throwing it. The ball was always meant to go to an open Gronk. Should have been a TD. That or He was trying to avoid having the ball knocked down from the two roaming defenders?

And if Brady didn't like his matchups on the left side he would have scanned to the right and found a wide open Cooks.

Should have been 21-0 at the end of the half.

1st Pats drive of 2nd half. 2nd and goal. Power run with FB leading. Mason helps Andrews double team the guy inside before trying to pick up #90 who shoots the gap. Cannon doesn't pick him up in time either.

Lewis has to make an extra cut which if he didn't have to make, the rest of the blocking was well done, I think Lewis gets a TD there. Instead we only got 3. Should have been 28-0, not 17-0.

On 2nd drive drive of 2nd half. Mason's hold was total BS. Next play, Hogan and Gronk in bunch formation. Both run out routes. Maybe the ball was going to Hogan, not Gronk? Was Gronk supposed to go up the field? Brady is shaking his head after the play. Next play, Gronk is out, Allen is in. Empty backfield. Punishment for wrong route? Gronk goes back in on the 3rd down play.

Falcons scoring drive. Zone D, Julio catch over the middle, McCourty touches him down, Bademosi runs over and touches Julio and gently pokes the ball from Julio's hands. Julio grabs the ball but fumbles it wasting more time while Falcons are in hurry-up. Clever move by Bademosi to do it early enough in the late 4th quarter so not to get penalized for delay of game.

3-4 plays later.
Julio does a full push off on Bademosi twice!!!!!! Julio catches ball for 15 yards. Matt Ryan scambled to the left. 1st push off was still in the pocket. 2nd was borderline. But if you're going to call OPI on Gronk for full extension pushoff, call it on Julio god damn it! On the scramble the LT holds Wise.

Next play. Matt Ryan scrambles for 12 yards. So I'm guessing with all the lack of holding, the Falcons o-line picked up on it and were like **** it, I'm gonna hold the d-lineman. Alex Mack with a blatant hold on Butler. Butler even lifts his hand in the air, like wtf, where's the hold Steratore?!??!

****ing Gene Steratore laughing, having fun out there? How about doing your ****ing job you *******! Call the game consistently. and call the ****ing holds you ****ing *******! I hope you lost a whole lot of money for swearing on national tv a few years ago. *******!:mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore