PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: NE vs. KC (W6 SNF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am eager to review the 2 long TDs we gave up to Hill and Hunt. From what I saw, I am thinking that JMac played Hunt like he thought Dmac was over the top on his side of the field, hence getting caught in trail.

I feel like both were busted zone coverages that can easily be fixed.

Will post them in 20 or so. But since its the broadcast copy I am not sure how useful this will be.

I don't think the JMac play was a bust at all. DMac was the MOF safety and saw Hill running an inside route and he tried to get there leaving JMac 1v1 on the outside. Which I think was the right thing to do because the inside pass would have been easier to complete for Mahones than hitting Hunt 40+yds downfield at full speed while sliding under pressure to the right.

On the second play this is what JMac and Gilmore said:

Sounds to me like they just lost track of him as he motioned.

Here is the HT INT:

Let me quote what Lazar wrote in his article right after the game (clnsmedia.com):

I have seen people call this a bad throw or luck when in reality this was all perfectly set up on purpose to confuse Mahomes. This is coaching and execution in perfect unison.

I don't think it was to confuse Mahomes. High just played it perfectly, he plants his foot and come down to fill his gap, sees Mahomes keep the ball and the back exits his AOR immediately so he drops back into zone coverage. There was no deception there just excellent LB play.

Here is the first fumble that was recovered by Andrews:

I don't really understand protections well so anyone correct me if I am reading this wrong. But to me this is on Michel not properly reading his pass protection assignment. Yes, I guess you could also blame Andrews for being too slow to slide over and chip Chris Jones but Michel should be aware that this is the gap that most likely will be an issue with Thuney pulling.

That is on Andrews, Thuney pulls to sell the play action and Andrews whiffs on his block. With that said Michel could of helped out if he saw it, but its definitely on Andrews.

Here is the Hill 75 yd touchdown:

Broadcast:

Other views:

No clue from those angles. But am happy to hear what others are seeing.

Here is the deep TD pass to Hunt:

Now my interpretation is that DMac comes down when he sees Hill running inside because to him this is a higher priority route (because it is a higher percentage throw) than helping out on the wheel route that JMac is covering.

JMac gets caught peaking into the backfield and loses a few steps on Hunt. I don't see any coverage bust here but just one player screwing up. That being said it still required a pretty difficult throw into a small window by Mahomes while sliding to the right.

Here is the deep TD pass to Hunt:

Now my interpretation is that DMac comes down when he sees Hill running inside because to him this is a higher priority route (because it is a higher percentage throw) than helping out on the wheel route that JMac is covering.

JMac gets caught peaking into the backfield and loses a few steps on Hunt. I don't see any coverage bust here but just one player screwing up. That being said it still required a pretty difficult throw into a small window by Mahomes while sliding to the right.

Everytime I watch this play. All I can think of is JMac peeking in the back field. If Jmac just went with Hunt, Mahomes has nowhere to throw it. D gets off the field.

If Thuney was pulling he would be charging, not staying to protect the pocket. This, IIRC is part of the protection if it calls for the RT riding the outside rusher out of play. More leverage that way if I'm not wrong.
Yep. You’re correct. For whatever reason, GFYcat doesn’t work on my work computer when I’m not doing what I’m supposed to at the office so I was mostly working off of memory.

Yep. You’re correct. For whatever reason, GFYcat doesn’t work on my work computer when I’m not doing what I’m supposed to at the office so I was mostly working off of memory.

Does streamable work ? Might just change provider in the future if GFYcat is on some banlists.

Does streamable work ? Might just change provider in the future if GFYcat is on some banlists.
It’s weird because I can see the still frame picture but it just doesn’t play. You can try steamable. Might just be the GFY part of the web address that my company internet doesn’t like.

Broadcast:

Other views:

It looked like Harmon actually got picked by the ref.

Everytime I watch this play. All I can think of is JMac peeking in the back field. If Jmac just went with Hunt, Mahomes has nowhere to throw it. D gets off the field.

The opinion amongst my group was that JMac thought Mahomes was going to get sacked so he let up (ala Asante Samuel on the Tyree play).

It’s weird because I can see the still frame picture but it just doesn’t play. You can try steamable. Might just be the GFY part of the web address that my company internet doesn’t like.
Right click, copy video location, paste URL in new tab/window. Try that.

Broadcast:

Other views:

Just terrible technique from Harmon. Don't understand why he is running upfield with his back to the play. As the single high safety, you never do that.

I wanna talk about that 4th down we got stopped on. Brady should have thrown it to Edelman, who might have been open if Brady held on to the ball for a split second longer...
Hogan was starting to break open as well.

But what I want to know is this: If you have decided that you are in 4-down territory (and when you make your play call on 3rd/3 you ALREADY know this), then why the Feck don't you run the ball on 3rd down and try to gain at least another yard or two so that the sneak comes into play? Michel had just given you almost 7 yards on 2nd/10, after all (following an incompletion of a back-shoulder throw down the sideline to Guess Who on 1st/10). Similar faulty decision-making in 2009 vs Indianapolis.

Last edited:
Just terrible technique from Harmon. Don't understand why he is running upfield with his back to the play. As the single high safety, you never do that.

No idea. It would make sense if there was a second deep safety but there wasn't. This one might be a blown coverage that the DBs just publicly want to keep under wraps. Who knows.

No idea. It would make sense if there was a second deep safety but there wasn't. This one might be a blown coverage that the DBs just publicly want to keep under wraps. Who knows.

As a DB, you never turn your back on the play, no matter what. That's just flat out bad technique- when you turn your back, you are no longer in a position to flip your hips and/or tackle, and you also can't read your keys when you're running away from the play.

My guess is that he just panicked and forgot his fundamentals- the speed of the KC offense is something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST