PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: NE vs. KC (W6 SNF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a DB, you never turn your back on the play, no matter what. That's just flat out bad technique- when you turn your back, you are no longer in a position to flip your hips and/or tackle, and you also can't read your keys when you're running away from the play.

My guess is that he just panicked and forgot his fundamentals- the speed of the KC offense is something else.

Can't wait to see what Lazar, Chatham & co say about that one.

I think there was some miscommunication about what coverage they were in or whoever was responsible for Hill just lost track of him in the backfield. Btw. Flowers wrecked Hunt on that play before going after Mahomes. I can't say enough how much I like Flowers.

vFa7yTq.png

One of the four players on the left had to be in the wrong place. It almost looks like we have two spys on Mahomes.

As a DB, you never turn your back on the play, no matter what. That's just flat out bad technique- when you turn your back, you are no longer in a position to flip your hips and/or tackle, and you also can't read your keys when you're running away from the play.

My guess is that he just panicked and forgot his fundamentals- the speed of the KC offense is something else.
Watching him on that play is a great example of why I wanted to see McCourty used in the more traditional FS role prior to the game.

Dussault's thoughts on the Hunt and Hill TDs (via Patriots Film Review: Four Bad Plays - PatsPropaganda):

The Patriots are in a Cover 2 zone defense for a 3rd and 2. It works immediately off the snap. Mahomes goes through three reads and has nothing, but once Mahomes breaks the pocket things get dicey. Hunt is on a wheel route and never breaks stride, running right by Jason McCourty, who was settling into a short zone. Meanwhile Devin McCourty takes the receiver who settles into the middle flat, leaving no safety over the top of Jason. So there’s a couple different things here — one is that if this is not Cover 2, Jason needs better awareness that he has no help over the top, especially late in the down. He gets caught flat footed. If it is Cover 2, Devin can’t bite on the middle.

Pats are in prevent mode, only rushing three on first down and Mahomes seems to know exactly where he’s going with the ball from the snap. Ultimately Duron Harmon has to make this tackle. Yeah, Hill is fast but they knew that coming in and Harmon gets caught up just a half step and that’s all it took. He couldn’t even get a hand on Hill.

Here is the Hill 75 yd touchdown:

Broadcast:

Other views:

No clue from those angles. But am happy to hear what others are seeing.

I'm seeing 4-5 Pats defenders "covering" two potential passing tgts just beyond the sticks. It seems to me that 2 or 3 of those guys were essentially covering air, and that at least one of those guys was out of position. As Hill is coming across Harmon's face from left to right (Harmon's perspective), Harmon turns the other way, as if he's expecting someone else to be back there (poor read on Harmon's part).

"Pats are in prevent mode, only rushing three on first down and Mahomes seems to know exactly where he’s going with the ball from the snap. Ultimately Duron Harmon has to make this tackle. Yeah, Hill is fast but they knew that coming in and Harmon gets caught up just a half step and that’s all it took. He couldn’t even get a hand on Hill."

When "prevent" means leaving the #1 WR uncovered 40 yards down the field, you're doing something wrong. Harmon not making the tackle is the least of their problems on this play.

So given the issues we have seen with safety play in back-to-back seasons, do we start asking questions about the coaching there?

So given the issues we have seen with safety play in back-to-back seasons, do we start asking questions about the coaching there?
Maybe but McCourty wasn’t bad last year and Chung has been solid. For whatever reason, McCourty has a newer role vs years past even though his skill set screams that he needs to be the FS-type on this team.

"Pats are in prevent mode, only rushing three on first down and Mahomes seems to know exactly where he’s going with the ball from the snap. Ultimately Duron Harmon has to make this tackle. Yeah, Hill is fast but they knew that coming in and Harmon gets caught up just a half step and that’s all it took. He couldn’t even get a hand on Hill."

When "prevent" means leaving the #1 WR uncovered 40 yards down the field, you're doing something wrong. Harmon not making the tackle is the least of their problems on this play.
That wasn’t prevent. At least to everyone not named mike dussault.
Of course fast players should never beat you with speed because you knew they were fast coming in. :oops:
I guess the chiefs shouldn’t have allowed a clutch game winning drive to brady because they knew he was good at that coming in.

I don't care what the Rutgers mafia are claiming, that's just plain old busted coverage.

It was JMac and Gilmore claiming there was no blown coverage. This is not exactly the Rutgers mafia.

A play that definitely got lost in the shuffle for me.

Love the play design on both. Seriously posters here should just STFU about McDaniels and enjoy the creativity. Not every play or series will be a winner and sometimes he is predictable for good reason (to set stuff up later in the game) and sometimes for no good reason but I can't think of anyone I'd rather have calling the plays.

Last edited:

A22 view of the INT to close out the first half. Great coverage..

Shelton continuing being solid.

First TD that Hill scored. As I have already said a few times in other posts this was a schematic issue where DMac (or anyone really) had no chance of winning with Harmon shading to Kelce.

According to some interviews after the game Flores changed that after this play for Harmon to help on Hill on future plays.

And this is why the offense will be so difficult to stop:

And in other games it might be Dorsett on a comeback route who gets the 1v1 instead of Hogan. Too many viable targets on the field for the opponents.

And here is Lazar with his deconstruction of that Hill 75yd TD

In the end one of the players in that stack of 4 was in the wrong place. But I guess we will never know for sure who.

Lazars weekly A22 dive on Twitter starts here:

I really like that Michel bounced outside instead of run into the pile & wait to be tackled, as other RBs in the past - Ridley, Bolden, GillyGilly & sometimes even Blunt - would've done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST