PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: NE vs. Miami (Week 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the previous re-watch thread, I spoke about how the offense was just missing something- it's not 100% there. And that continued yesterday: Brady's decision-making is just off. He is ignoring open reads, and sometimes tunnel-visions/locks on the read he is most comfortable with- it's almost as if he makes up his mind pre-snap which indicates a lack of comfort level.

I think this can be attributed to the fact that just about every receiver he has is either new, or playing unfamiliar positions.

It's astonishing that despite this, we were able to pour 38 on the Dolphins. It's amazing to think about what this offense is capable of, once it really gets going.
How do you know if he is ignoring a read when you don’t know what his progressions are?

2 cents says that the Fins were in 3rd-and-long a pleasing number of times and that they preferred Brown and Guy to Shelton in the middle on first down. (Also notable is how few snaps Clayborn had.)
It appears that our most common alignment was 3-2-6 based upon snap counts.

It appears that our most common alignment was 3-2-6 based upon snap counts.

I don't know how you get that.

2 DTs per snap and 2 DEs would give 98 DT snaps and 98 DE snaps. In fact, there were 84 DT snaps and 80 DT snaps, which makes me think that they had 4 linemen out there over 80% of the time.

In the previous re-watch thread, I spoke about how the offense was just missing something- it's not 100% there. And that continued yesterday: Brady's decision-making is just off. He is ignoring open reads, and sometimes tunnel-visions/locks on the read he is most comfortable with- it's almost as if he makes up his mind pre-snap which indicates a lack of comfort level.

I think this can be attributed to the fact that just about every receiver he has is either new, or playing unfamiliar positions.

It's astonishing that despite this, we were able to pour 38 on the Dolphins. It's amazing to think about what this offense is capable of, once it really gets going.

More on this by Lazar:

Lazar asked Brady about Edelman:

Is it a sign of Shelton outright losing snaps to Butler or was the team putting more of a product of the team putting an emphasis on pushing the pocket up the A and B gaps?

I'd go with option 3 - they had the Phins in terrible running down and distance situations all day whether by their own hand with penalties or good plays by our guys. That means much more Butler and less Shelton regardless of opponent given the skillset difference.

Shelton was actually "better" yesterday versus the run, but to me it was much more Brown's holding the point of attack vs the run than either of Shelton or Butler.

Dwayne Allen's block on the Sony Michel touchdown was special. I don't think he gets enough credit for run blocking. He hits the DE on the 11 and knocks him back almost 3 yards.

Three great blocks on this play by the Pats

While the 43% passing yards to WRs is low, I'm guessing that Volin might be shocked to learn that the Pats WRs typically contribute only about 53% anyway - which would bump them all the way up to about 25th or 26th.

I agree that he does not look completely comfortable. I am not sure why and am not sure what he is thinking pre-snap. But I think it is obvious, not subtle, as you note.

His pocket presence is good and his throws have velocity, so I think it is correctable, whatever it is. And I think he will correct it.

I think there were at least a couple of signs of improvement yesterday. Brady didn't hesitate on the TD throw to Patterson.

He also had much better ball placement on the deep throw down the middle to Dorsett. On the nearly identical attempt in Detroit, Brady tried to squeeze it between the defenders bracketing Dorsett, resulting in a pick. This time, he threw it outside the bracket, and trusted Dorsett to go get it - which he did, but then bobbled the ball.

I agree that he does not look completely comfortable. I am not sure why and am not sure what he is thinking pre-snap. But I think it is obvious, not subtle, as you note.

His pocket presence is good and his throws have velocity, so I think it is correctable, whatever it is. And I think he will correct it.

IMO, he's had a lot of new moving pieces to get used to, but he is finding his groove with them. The return of Edelman should help him to relax a lot more.

Brown is improving in run blocking which is a relieve to see. At times he looked bad in the first 3 games.

Crucify me but to me it seems like Brady had a similarly slow start as the rest of the team. I don't think it has anything to do with age or declining or whatever. He just seems not comfortable during many plays. There were not only the two INTs he threw but this one that Lazar points out and then a bit later the red zone pass on third down to Patterson. Usually he throws them low so only the teammate can get them but he threw it kinda on head-level, it got broken up and could have easily been intercepted.

With Jules coming back, Gordon getting more integrated and Michel starting to contribute in the run game hopefully he will get back into MVP shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST