PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: NE vs. Indianapolis (W5 TNF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will have to wait for the A22 but what I like to add to this is McD using Gordon as a way to clear up space in the flat for White a couple of times. So despite not getting the credit for it on the stat sheet he is contributing in meaningful ways.

It will not just be Edelman and Gronk because if Gordon can continue to the point where he knows the system better opponents will have to start putting their CB1 on him (and sometimes even a safety) which in turn will make Edelman/Gronk devastating. And if the top options all get doubled or are covered up you still have White/Dorsett and Hogan against the weaker DBs.

This has the potential to be an amazing offense.
I don’t think there was a “Gordon effect” because Gordon only played 18 snaps.
Interestingly though he got 4 targets and 2 catches on those 18 (not sure how many were runs also)
Patterson played 8 snaps and had 2 catches as well.

So this is the opposite, where he is playing inside technique and Ebron runs an out.
Basically you have 2 plays here where McCourty assignments were the opposite of the play call. With no pressure and no underneath help pretty much any team can do this all day to any other team. This is why QBs complete almost 70% of their passes. When you subtract drops , throwaways, hit while throwing and passes over 20 yards downfield that have a much lower completion rate it’s more like 80%.
Picking out one play or a few plays and asking why they weren’t covered sugggests that receivers don’t have an enormous advantage over defenders which is not the case.

It looks like Mccourty was playing outside technique on this play by his body positioning.

Some of the coverage wasn't even that bad in the secondary at times, the lack of pass rush and Luck dropping perfect passes happened quite a few times.

There were quite a few contested catches with defenders right there.

It looks like Mccourty was playing outside technique on this play by his body positioning.
How? He is playing inside the receiver.

I don’t think there was a “Gordon effect” because Gordon only played 18 snaps.
Interestingly though he got 4 targets and 2 catches on those 18 (not sure how many were runs also)
Patterson played 8 snaps and had 2 catches as well.

Not saying he was doing it a lot and we will see if I just overestimated it once A22 is out but I was sure I saw him clean out in front of whoever was running the flat about 3-4 times.

So this is the opposite, where he is playing inside technique and Ebron runs an out.
Basically you have 2 plays here where McCourty assignments were the opposite of the play call.

I think the TD he gave up to Ebron is the third play where this applies.

Not saying he was doing it a lot and we will see if I just overestimated it once A22 is out but I was sure I saw him clean out in front of whoever was running the flat about 3-4 times.
But it’s hard to tell also if that is play design or player. Personally I don’t believe the colts altered their coverage schemes to abandon zones to focus on Gordon.
I suppose that could happen if he ever puts up big numbers here, but at this point I don’t think he is central to defensive game planning.

I hope we can extend Dorsett and reap all the work he did to get onto the same page with Brady.

He's rounding into a similar role to Amendola. He'll draw the 3d or 4th best cover guy, he runs good routes, and to his benefit his speed means automatically a couple steps off-coverage in a ton of formations for a free release. That's just a nice tool that can be used a lot of ways by an offense.

Nice thread, posts, and video.

Is it fair to say that the Colts are better than their record indicates?

I think it's fair to say Luck is better than the record indicates. I think they're still a ^%$#show on defense no matter how you slice it, but they can sling it around the yard.

A rare occasion but something from Reiss for this thread:

I wanna add that this is the play people should bookmark and have handy if some bozo starts talking about how Jimmy Graham is a TE or how Kelce is a better player than Gronk. This is what makes Gronk so friggin amazing and valuable.

Not purely film review, but this is a great resource of stats to review. The sample size is small, obviously, but over the course of the season it should become more accurate / useful.

YOUR NFL TEAM CAN BE BETTER

Here are the two incomplete passes by Brady to Gordon:

There is so much open space around where Gordon is that I think he drifted a bit too far upfield based on where Brady threw the ball. But then again he would have needed to sit about a yard before the sticks so it was definitely also not a great throw by Brady.

Here I think it is clear that Gordon just drifted too far upfield before breaking for the comeback around sticks depth. Definitely not on Brady.

It is still a work in progress but the throw into double coverage -- as questionable as it was -- was a big sign of trust.

I must be getting too old to understand this game anymore. I'm reading all these "slowing down!" and"lost it!" posts about McC..and I watch the 2nd half and I see good coverage on a perfectly placed ball by Luck and a look to the left running half speed until he sees the help he thought he had not there. The TE was running FULL SPEED and McCourty had to accelerate to cover him..no one makes up that ground, it's physically impossible unless you have Deion speed. I think this is all PABDS..Patriots Are Bad Derangement Syndrome.

was this game EVER a contest? stop demanding superman heroics when the movie is over and the credits are on the screen.

• McCourty's effectiveness is lessened when he's dropped down into the box in the 3 safety sets.
  • McCourty's effectiveness is lessened when he's isolated in man coverage.

Neither of those things are new. Neither of those things are going to change for the better. In all likelihood, both of those things are going to get worse over the next couple of years. The question is whether McCourty's decline is going to be a slow or rapid one.

Nice thread, posts, and video.

In week 1, they lost to a 3-1 Cincinnati team at home. Luck was still a bit rusty...and the game didn't break wide open until late 4th.

In week 2, the Colts D shut down the Redskins.

In week 3, the Colts were one play away from winning in Philly.

In week 4, the Colts were one 4th down attempt from a win...or a tie if they punted.

In week 5, they played better than expected despite not having their #1 WR, an OL that is a work in progress, and no running backs other than Nyheim Hines who is more suited to be a passing down back.

I think their defense is a mid-tier D at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back