PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: NE @ Chicago (Week 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
normally i would agree

but in this case, the way the play unfolded, the best decision would have been to stay w/ the receiver because roberts was bearing down on the QB at pretty much the same time

Ok. That's interesting. I'll post what I was referring to and take another look at the play Luuked posted when get back home and on my laptop.

How can the fact that brady threw a pass to an open receiver that should have been caught for a first down but was dropped have nothing to with the quality of the decision?

Nothing wrong with the decision. More velocity on the throw may have helped but as you guys have said it hit him in the hands.

normally i would agree

but in this case, the way the play unfolded, the best decision would have been to stay w/ the receiver because roberts was bearing down on the QB at pretty much the same time
Roberts didn’t have a good angle.
VN has to play his assignment not stop and check to see if someone else is doing something else so he can make up a new assignment.

Roberts didn’t have a good angle.
VN has to play his assignment not stop and check to see if someone else is doing something else so he can make up a new assignment.

Do you coach at some level? You're loaded with info.

This one is part of my Brady / Gordon watch.

Another incompletion but in this case I think this was mostly about Brady being a bit "cold" after sitting on the bench for more than 45 minutes of real time after that weird sequence where the Patterson fumble, Michel fumble and Patterson return only gave them like 2 plays in that span of time.

Looks to me like Gordon sat down at the right place and the pass was just short.
There were 2 small errors on this play if I was the coach in the film room. First Brady should have had more zip on this ball. Of course as you mentioned he'd been on the bench for a long time. 2nd Gordon should have come to the ball rather than wait for it to get to him. I'm sure that both these points were mentioned in the film room and will likely not be repeated soon.

How can the fact that brady threw a pass to an open receiver that should have been caught for a first down but was dropped have nothing to with the quality of the decision?
Here's why I think Luuked is right in his analysis that it was a bad decision by Brady (though I think he's wrong in slamming Kontra for his view.)

1. Brady was under severe pressure, and had to throw the ball off his back foot which vastly reduced the velocity of the throw

2. Devlin wasn't wide open. In fact he was barely open at all. I think if the defender had made a better play on the ball it would have been picked cleanly and likely have been a TD.

3. But mostly it was a bad decision because of it wasn't a good situational throw. The Pats were ahead by 2 scores at that time IIRC, and were well within FG territory. Why take the risk that he did? If he simply eats the ball or throws it over Devlin's head. Gotkowski kicks the FG, the Pats are up by 3 scores and the game is over.

There might be situations where that throw is justifiable, THIS was not one of them.

Now that being said, the ball DID get to Devlin, (though I don't know how) and it was very unlucky that it deflected right into the hands of a defender. Brady has had at least 3 deflected picks this season, maybe more. The other 2 were ALL the receivers fault. This one wasn't. JMHO

BTW- I'd be willing to bet that if you asked Brady about the play, he'd say that he shouldn't have thrown the ball, or at least say he should have thrown it better.

@luuked Can you explain (in layman’s terms) how you are able to create these gifs? Really enjoying your comments and insight in this thread. Thanks.

@luuked Can you explain (in layman’s terms) how you are able to create these gifs? Really enjoying your comments and insight in this thread. Thanks.
FWIW, he told me in PM that he’s taking some time away from the forum. But you can usually just copy and paste the YouTube links into GIF websites. I think luuked has access to the All-22 though.

Personally I have wondershare video capturing software. You use that to edit any video you capture on your PC screen, upload it to a Vimeo, Youtube or Gif account and post it.

@luuked - Thanks for taking the time to start these threads up each week. They have been fun to read through and you've done a great job adding side notes and other thoughts. Whether everyone agreed with those thoughts or not doesn't matter because you were the one who put the effort in to get the discussion going. Thanks

...but in this case, the way the play unfolded, the best decision would have been to stay w/ the receiver because Roberts was bearing down on the QB at pretty much the same time.
I doubt that Roberts tackles the QB even if he holds the ball longer than he did; I don't think that he even lays a finger on him.

Here's why I think Luuked is right in his analysis that it was a bad decision by Brady (though I think he's wrong in slamming Kontra for his view.)

1. Brady was under severe pressure, and had to throw the ball off his back foot which vastly reduced the velocity of the throw

2. Devlin wasn't wide open. In fact he was barely open at all. I think if the defender had made a better play on the ball it would have been picked cleanly and likely have been a TD.

3. But mostly it was a bad decision because of it wasn't a good situational throw. The Pats were ahead by 2 scores at that time IIRC, and were well within FG territory. Why take the risk that he did? If he simply eats the ball or throws it over Devlin's head. Gotkowski kicks the FG, the Pats are up by 3 scores and the game is over.

There might be situations where that throw is justifiable, THIS was not one of them.

Now that being said, the ball DID get to Devlin, (though I don't know how) and it was very unlucky that it deflected right into the hands of a defender. Brady has had at least 3 deflected picks this season, maybe more. The other 2 were ALL the receivers fault. This one wasn't. JMHO

BTW- I'd be willing to bet that if you asked Brady about the play, he'd say that he shouldn't have thrown the ball, or at least say he should have thrown it better.
To take this one step further, the First bad decision was made when the play-call was a pass instead of a run. A toss power sweep to Barner or a jet reverse sweep to Patterson would've stood a Much better chance of success than that wounded duck to Develin.

We still need a Clock-Killer.

Here is the overhead shot of Pattersons KO return.

Reiss already showed all the relevant parts but its just great execution by the entire unit and especially great blocking by Allen, Ebner and Jackson.

It has been mentioned in the Post Game Thread already but I think we can all agree that this play really didn't need CP slowing down and high fiving his teammate before the endzone.

Lol no way! I loved it! I still laugh when I see it! And now after seeing that, I even notice Slater celebrating the play and turns to the sideline at the 50. Love it!:D

Devlin was wide open, Brady made a good decision but threw an "Eli Manning" pass to Devlin, Devlin was pressured but still could/should have caught the pass, ball squirted loose and luckily wan't caught by 2nd Bears player. Was that kind of day.

I'll watch it again, but it seemed to me that Develin caught it and Adrian Amos punched it out. I remember wondering after seeing the play live why those are scored as picks and not fumbles.

I'll watch it again, but it seemed to me that Develin caught it and Adrian Amos punched it out. I remember wondering after seeing the play live why those are scored as picks and not fumbles.
Because there was no completion. It can't be a fumble if the receiver hasn't completed the catch.

All special teams Belichick Breakdown. Wish Zolak would have asked BB why Hightower and Van Noy were on the punt coverage this game.

My favourite part was King sitting the punter down on the return lol.

Because there was no completion. It can't be a fumble if the receiver hasn't completed the catch.

You're right. By rule it wasn't.

It seemed to me that Develin had secured the ball and,IIRC, had spun round to face the other way when Amos punched it out.

In any case, I didn't see the play as any particular fault on Develin or Brady, just a good defensive play by Amos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST