PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: NE vs. KC (W6 SNF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

luuked

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
The weekly tape review thread. Take your hot takes to the Post Game Thread.

Here are the snap counts for this week:

Some other related tweets:

Last edited:
Reactions: PP2
Lets start the rewatch with our weekly Josh Gordon somehow gets confused about where sticks depth is and keeps going deeper play. It is almost tradition at this point.

It sucks because it is set up well with Edelman pulling the underneath coverage to him. All Gordon needs to do is understand when to run a comeback at sticks depth based on the defensive looks.

And here is the fourth down on the same series:

Again. Gordon needs to be more aware where sticks depth is and also more in sync with how Brady reads the situation.

Last edited:
Here is the HT INT:

Let me quote what Lazar wrote in his article right after the game (clnsmedia.com):

The Chiefs run an RPO here, and Mahomes reads Hightower correctly.The read here for the quarterback is does he see a low hat or a high hat. A low hat signifies that a player is coming downhill to stop the run while a high hat would mean he’s dropping into coverage. Hightower initially plays the run but does a great job of baiting Mahomes into this interception. Hightower makes a quick read as Mahomes keeps it, and changes direction to cut underneath the throw. Mahomes never saw him drop.

I have seen people call this a bad throw or luck when in reality this was all perfectly set up on purpose to confuse Mahomes. This is coaching and execution in perfect unison.

Last edited:
Good stuff. This offense is good. The defenses is decent except some big broken plays. The media is jerking off the Chiefs so hard. They just cannot see how terrible the Chiefs were in the first half and only came back cuz a couple of big plays.

I already posted it in the Postgame Thread but will do it here as well:

Just a heads up.. this weeks GM Street could be pretty fascinating.

Lombardi tweeted this during yesterdays game:

And will follow up on it on this weeks podcast:

Here is the HT INT:

Let me quote what Lazar wrote in his article right after the game (clnsmedia.com):

I have seen people call this a bad throw or luck when in reality this was all perfectly set up on purpose to confuse Mahomes. This is coaching and execution in perfect unison.

I'm glad Hightower has rounded back into health because that shows exactly what he brings to the table. He picked that up off of film study because as soon as he realizes it's not a run, he looks to the right and is already moving in the direction of the route.

The weekly tape review thread. Take your hot takes to the Post Game Thread.

Here are the snap counts for this week:

Some other related tweets:

Decent game or no?

Here is the first fumble that was recovered by Andrews:

I don't really understand protections well so anyone correct me if I am reading this wrong. But to me this is on Michel not properly reading his pass protection assignment. Yes, I guess you could also blame Andrews for being too slow to slide over and chip Chris Jones but Michel should be aware that this is the gap that most likely will be an issue with Thuney pulling.

And here is Edelman's TD:

Again using Lazar's words (clnsmedia.com):

Then there was Julian Edelman’s 17-yard touchdown that was made possible due to the alignment by McDaniels. The Patriots are in a bunch set split inside the hashes. Edelman is furthest inside the bunch and runs a corner route with Gronk running a post and Hogan a curl. First, the bunch set gives Edelman a free release at the line of scrimmage. And second, his inside alignment allows him to gain leverage by coming across the defenders face toward the sideline with the defender holding inside leverage. This is another perfect example of McDaniels making it easier on the Patriots’ receivers to get open with alignment and his understanding of how defenses defend bunch sets.

I don't really understand protections well so anyone correct me if I am reading this wrong. But to me this is on Michel not properly reading his pass protection assignment. Yes, I guess you could also blame Andrews for being too slow to slide over and chip Chris Jones but Michel should be aware that this is the gap that most likely will be an issue with Thuney pulling.
That was on Sony. Thuney was pulling on that one and did his job. You can tell by how the rest of the OL were handling their assignments. Sony missed his. It’s to be expected. He’s a rookie.

On the Trent Brown blocking Gronk's man, I've see some moron Chiefs writers claim that it was an illegal block. They missed the part where the CB was lined up on the LOS. They missed the part where Brown engaged him at the LOS and that it's not illegal to do so. And lastly, just because Brown ends up beyond the 1 yard "zone" doesn't me he has to stop blocking since his man is still in that one yard area of the LOS.

It's a great execution of his blocking assignment.

Lets start the rewatch with our weekly Josh Gordon somehow gets confused about where sticks depth is and keeps going deeper play. It is almost tradition at this point.

It sucks because it is set up well with Edelman pulling the underneath coverage to him. All Gordon needs to do is understand when to run a comeback at sticks depth based on the defensive looks.

And here is the fourth down on the same series:

Again. Gordon needs to be more aware where sticks depth is and also more in sync with how Brady reads the situation.

The depth of the comeback route depends on what kind of a dropback is called, if it's a 3, 5, or 7 step drop. In the first one, Brady has a 3 step drop, so the comeback should occur just beyond the down marker.

Last edited:

Thuney is not pulling, he's picking up the WS rusher. And yes, you're right, it's 100% on Michel.

I wanna talk about that 4th down we got stopped on. Brady should have thrown it to Edelman, who might have been open if Brady held on to the ball for a split second longer. I feel like Brady is trying to force throws to Gordon these past two games, the sideline back shoulder throw comes to mind. I don't mind the throw down the seam, Brady underthrew it otherwise Gordon would have caught a nice gainer. But Brady needs to stop that.

That was on Sony. Thuney was pulling on that one and did his job. You can tell by how the rest of the OL were handling their assignments. Sony missed his. It’s to be expected. He’s a rookie.

If Thuney was pulling he would be charging, not staying to protect the pocket. This, IIRC is part of the protection if it calls for the RT riding the outside rusher out of play. More leverage that way if I'm not wrong.

I am eager to review the 2 long TDs we gave up to Hill and Hunt. From what I saw, I am thinking that JMac played Hunt like he thought Dmac was over the top on his side of the field, hence getting caught in trail.

I feel like both were busted zone coverages that can easily be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots