PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: NE vs. Indianapolis (W5 TNF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm the Pats, I don't even use McCourty in that role in this game. I play him back into more of a FS role so his range can disrupt those deeper patterns to Hill or Watkins (whomever lines up on his side).
Given that the Pats will have to use the "slow plodding rush" to keep Mahones in the pocket, I've been thinking about how I'd defend KC both in the pass and run game.

I think the key to this game is stopping the KC run game and force them into a passing first offense. Mahones is doing a great job and is likely to make some "OMG throws" in this game. But if we keep making him throw the ball over 35 times, then it becomes more likely that mistakes will be made.

This is NOT going to be a LB heavy game. Like I said the key will be to stop the run, but we are going to have to do it without doing it with 8 in the box. I'd have hightower on the LOS or on the bench. KVN would be my only 3 down LB.

No it's going to have to be 5 and 6 DB's on a regular basis and those boys are going to have play the run like LB's.

I'm not sure who I'd put Gilmore on. Hill would be the obvious choice, but big on little isn't usually a good match up. Perhaps JJ is the best option there with help over the top. Then I'd put Gilmore on their #2 outside threat and trust him to cover alone and hopefully erase him. I'd have Rowe on Kelce and JMcCourty on their #3 option. By and large I want DB's on RB's coming out of the backfield.

Finally, and I say this EVERYTIME the Pats play an RPO offense. When KC runs that look, then hit the damned QB EVERYTIME. Do that, and they'll stop running it. It's as simple as that.

But if we keep making him throw the ball over 35 times, then it becomes more likely that mistakes will be made.

I think this is the key right there. Minimize the damage from the run game (you won't stop it completely), give them the underneath passes but discourage Mahomes from going deep by formation. And obviously keep contain the edges and slowly choke him to death in the pocket. Make him dink and dunk, throw a couple of disguised coverages at him and see if you can bait him into a mistake.

There is no way to win this game if we let them score with just a handful plays. I don't care if they score 30 points as long as they come as the result of many plays. Like you say.. the more times he has to make a decision the bigger the chance for him to screw up.

Given that the Pats will have to use the "slow plodding rush" to keep Mahones in the pocket, I've been thinking about how I'd defend KC both in the pass and run game.

I think the key to this game is stopping the KC run game and force them into a passing first offense. Mahones is doing a great job and is likely to make some "OMG throws" in this game. But if we keep making him throw the ball over 35 times, then it becomes more likely that mistakes will be made.

This is NOT going to be a LB heavy game. Like I said the key will be to stop the run, but we are going to have to do it without doing it with 8 in the box. I'd have hightower on the LOS or on the bench. KVN would be my only 3 down LB.

No it's going to have to be 5 and 6 DB's on a regular basis and those boys are going to have play the run like LB's.

I'm not sure who I'd put Gilmore on. Hill would be the obvious choice, but big on little isn't usually a good match up. Perhaps JJ is the best option there with help over the top. Then I'd put Gilmore on their #2 outside threat and trust him to cover alone and hopefully erase him. I'd have Rowe on Kelce and JMcCourty on their #3 option. By and large I want DB's on RB's coming out of the backfield.

Finally, and I say this EVERYTIME the Pats play an RPO offense. When KC runs that look, then hit the damned QB EVERYTIME. Do that, and they'll stop running it. It's as simple as that.

If it's man, I think Jonathan Jones on Hill with a safety shaded to his side is the best way to go. Jones has the raw speed to stick him. Gilmore on Watkins on the other side with no safety help. Double Kelce on the intermediate and deeper routes. I don't think this is the kind of game where we can just go zone-heavy and contain and hope to keep the scoring down since Mahomes is perfectly capable of making all the throws from the pocket. I disagree that we will see 6 DBs on the field a ton. Hunt will run for over 150 yards if that happens.

If it's man, I think Jonathan Jones on Hill with a safety shaded to his side is the best way to go. Jones has the raw speed to stick him. Gilmore on Watkins on the other side with no safety help. Double Kelce on the intermediate and deeper routes. I don't think this is the kind of game where we can just go zone-heavy and contain and hope to keep the scoring down since Mahomes is perfectly capable of making all the throws from the pocket. I disagree that we will see 6 DBs on the field a ton. Hunt will run for over 150 yards if that happens.
I'm gone post some clips soon ... somewhere but this is exactly where I'm at. JJ w help on Hill. Gilmore on Watkins is right up Gilly's alley. Chung w help on Kelce.

The love to attack levels so we wanna keep them in front of us like you said.

We have to take away the mof. KC has been running free, wide open, doing a lot of damage there.

I'm gone post some clips soon ... somewhere but this is exactly where I'm at. JJ w help on Hill. Gilmore on Watkins is right up Gilly's alley. Chung w help on Kelce.

The love to attack levels so we wanna keep them in front of us like you said.

We have to take away the mof. KC has been running free, wide open, doing a lot of damage there.
Maybe start another thread. Pre-watch thread?

I had this noted down since early in the first quarter yesterday:

Good luck defending a bunch with CP behind the blockers and Gronk spread out wide on the other side in the redzone. Add in White out of the backfield and you are toast. You only have so many bodies.
My favourite part of that clip is how Gronk and Brady QB sneek brings so much attention so you can get those easy one on ones.

Here I think it is clear that Gordon just drifted too far upfield before breaking for the comeback around sticks depth. Definitely not on Brady.

It is still a work in progress but the throw into double coverage -- as questionable as it was -- was a big sign of trust.

I don't understand why Brady stares down Gordon. The Clots linebackers bit so hard on the play action fake. Hogan was open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back