PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where's the "rewatch thread"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we love you and the mods for helping with that.
It wasn’t always me but I tried to help if I was around when it was going on. I think @IcyPatriot is probably the biggest contributor as far as modding those threads goes.

It's not that I don't agree with them. I do agree with them some of the time. Other times, they're wrong and it's plain as day. Particularly with Lazar. But just simply posting Twitter links without any sort of discourse or observations of your own short of "yeah, that's what I saw too" (no, it wasn't) is next to useless at least IMO. BGC, PP, and even Andy at times go into more depth about what those links share. That's what I'm looking for on here. If I want their breakdowns with no analysis, I can go to Twitter. The more original thought the thread has, the better. Furthermore, most of us, I would assume, have played the game before at a level higher than pee-wee. This god-like worship for these guys and coaches is a little ridiculous. Football on an X&O basis is not that hard to break down. Hell, COACHING football is not that difficult if you're willing to put in the ridiculous hours. That's why the Brad Childresses and Rex Ryans of the NFL constantly find themselves employed.

The problem is sometimes we miss stuff on twitter, or there's a lot of crap to sort through.

I actually prefer looking at tweets that are posted in re-watch threads rather than having to sort through mine.

Yes, Lazar is wrong sometimes, but so are all of us, including me. No analysis is perfect. Even BB, himself, has said he doesn't know everything that goes on in a game because while he is very knowledgeable about tendencies, he still doesn't know all the details, what the call was what the assignments were, as far as the other team, and on and forth.

So in the rewatch threads, I think tweets that are relevant, should be posted.

I love the “expert” posters who think they need to educate us “novice “ posters on the intricacies of football. Wish sometimes there was as much knowledge on display as there is arrogance from these self-proclaimed “experts”.

There are a lot of intelligent and articulate posters on this forum which is why it’s my first destination when it comes to hearing what’s going on with the Pats and pro football in general. I just don’t understand why some posters feel the need to belittle the rest of us in their posts. It doesn’t help them make their point.

I love the “expert” posters who think they need to educate us “novice “ posters on the intricacies of football. Wish sometimes there was as much knowledge on display as there is arrogance from these self-proclaimed “experts”.

There are a lot of intelligent and articulate posters on this forum which is why it’s my first destination when it comes to hearing what’s going on with the Pats and pro football in general. I just don’t understand why some posters feel the need to belittle the rest of us in their posts. It doesn’t help them make their point.

Do you have any point here ?

If you feel like "experts" should not try to educate "novice" viewers on what ACTUALLY happened maybe just stay out of threads like the rewatch thread and stick to the hot take mess that is the first 5 pages of the GDT or PGT.

I am sorry but **** like that gets me tilted. You have people who actually sacrifice their time off to try to explain concepts, schemes or just simple plays that are maybe not obvious to the average viewer and you are making it out to be some kind of elitism argument that is about arrogance. WTF ?

Do you have any point here ?

If you feel like "experts" should not try to educate "novice" viewers on what ACTUALLY happened maybe just stay out of threads like the rewatch thread and stick to the hot take mess that is the first 5 pages of the GDT or PGT.

I am sorry but **** like that gets me tilted. You have people who actually sacrifice their time off to try to explain concepts, schemes or just simple plays that are maybe not obvious to the average viewer and you are making it out to be some kind of elitism argument that is about arrogance. WTF ?

I greatly appreciate what you guys do.
Also what ken does.
It is obviously extremely time-consuming.
Luuked, can't blame you for getting a little steamed,given personal sacrifices you've made to do this.
But I think you greatly underestimate the level of football k owledge most posters here have.
" Over half wouldn't know nickel if they saw it"?
You can't be serious.
I believe there are many here like me, who know the game well, could likely break down film as well as you but just don't have the time or energy or both to do it.
For that,again,I am very grateful for what you and bgc,maineman,pp etc. do.
That being said, although I agree more with Kontra, I do see your point about enlightening novices.
For me, I just pick and choose what in interested in to read and ignore the rest.
I suspect many others do the same.
Hope your hiatus is brief.

This is simply a crock of ****. Go back and check the Chicago thread or the KC thread and count how much is "original" vs. Lazar/Twitter stuff. We should be at what looks at least like a 50% ratio which is perfectly fine.

Again you are starting from a position that is in the 1% when it comes to understanding plays. Maybe for you there is zero value or thought in it but I would argue that more than half of the people here have actually no firm grasp on e.g. identifying something fundamental like nickel/dime when given a screenshot of a A22.

Why ? To save Ian some database space ?

What is the downside of posting tweets from outside sources that seem relevant ? This whole thread should not be an ego thing where someone gets to show off but a collaborative effort to dissect the game or showcase things people most probably missed during the live broadcast.

Also why do you want people visiting Twitter instead of creating a conversation here on a message board ? I just don't understand what possible negative putting in outside sources can have.

In what world is more information something bad ?

Actually you want to know whats entirely worthless and has close to zero information / value for the majority of people ? Posts like this:

90% will be "what the **** is g sweep ?". How many people do you think will take the time to go and try to understand what it is compared to those who just scroll on to the next play ?

The real missed opportunity here is you know all of this stuff but under the guise of "I have so much other stuff to review" don't bother explaining it for novices but at the same time have an issue with outside analysts who actually do provide a lot of handholding for less knowledgable people.

Luuked this has been pointed out before by others but all you do is copy/paste Twitter clips. You don't breakdown anything so I don't know why you're so concerned about what I post, whether viewers are learning or what ratio we have?

More information is great but again anyone can post those clips. I'm not trying to direct traffic to Twitter & away from Ian lol.

Last edited:
Your tryna criticize the G sweep? Im gone make it symple for you rn.

It's basically a bang chop with a thrashing hip snap followed with an X Z shrug. Requires good base and fluid hips.

Geez. :eek::rolleyes::D
Go stunt yourself you stemming rat.
You two look like clowns.

Yes it's hilarious to actually know what you're talking about.

Speaking of novices Luuked?

Luuked this has been pointed out before by others but all you do is copy/paste Twitter clips. You don't breakdown anything so I don't know why you're so concerned about what I post, whether viewers are learning or what ratio we have?

More information is great but again anyone can post those clips. I'm not trying to direct traffic to Twitter & away from Ian lol.

Yes. All I have done in the last 2 years has been copy/pasting from Twitter. Yep.

Yeah of course I am a novice and I never claimed to be anything else. That is the entire point of how those threads got started in the first place: to educate myself and others through discussion. That and have a place to talk about more than the usual positive or negative narrative driven stuff in the post game threads (i.e. hot takes).

I think that is what you fundamentally dont understand about the rewatch threads. They are not the equivalent of scientific journals of X & O but just a slightly more serious Post Game Thread with an emphasis on talking about individual plays or big picture stuff. Everyone is encouraged to post in there: from the elitist knowledgable person to the most clueless pimp.

The irony with you calling other people novices is that despite all the insight you have and terminology you learned some of your posts are borderline useless because you often fail the most important idea of this thread which is explaining things. Which is why on many levels the contributions of the so-called novices (and the ones from the Twitter guys) are often more interesting than yours and usually also spark more of a discussion.

Hell I take any post of anyone making a completely false assumption and the discussion it spawns over many of your single sentence tweets that are filled with jargon while your TV (or radio) audio runs in the background because apparently you still have not figured out how to fix that.

Maybe consider being a bit more verbose in the future (or buying a ****ing mic to fill that awkward void in your clips) and avoid posts where you just throw around terminology. Then maybe all the other novices and I can learn even more and the place will be better for it.

Last edited:
I greatly appreciate what you guys do.
Also what ken does.
It is obviously extremely time-consuming.
Luuked, can't blame you for getting a little steamed,given personal sacrifices you've made to do this.
But I think you greatly underestimate the level of football k owledge most posters here have.
" Over half wouldn't know nickel if they saw it"?
You can't be serious.
I believe there are many here like me, who know the game well, could likely break down film as well as you but just don't have the time or energy or both to do it.
For that,again,I am very grateful for what you and bgc,maineman,pp etc. do.
That being said, although I agree more with Kontra, I do see your point about enlightening novices.
For me, I just pick and choose what in interested in to read and ignore the rest.
I suspect many others do the same.
Hope your hiatus is brief.

I think you are misunderstanding me a bit. I am fully aware that I dont know much about the X/O side of things. I am not claiming I am some kind of authority on anything because I am clearly not. I am here to learn from what others have seen or post clips and a short paragraph of my understanding hoping to either get corrected on what I have misread / missed or sometimes get confirmation.

So when I say half of the people could not point out nickel from a still I am talking about myself a few years ago. I never meant this as an insult but more about realizing that the average audience benefits more from the posts that people like @Tony2046 is making where he sketches things out and puts things into words (or Baldinger on Twitter who slows plays down and explains his main point using a mic as the action happens) than from posts that contain a clip and then a jargon filled sentence.

If you know your **** like Kontra undoubtedly does he will have no issue understanding when someone just posts a clip with the word G-Sweep or Hoss under it. To people like me this is completely useless because it requires at least another 20 minutes of searching around on the web and putting it all together when the creator of those posts could have just quickly put in a summary what it actually means and gotten his point across (and made others smarter) in much less time.

And to bring it all back together. This is not me criticizing contributors here (the post doing that is right above this one) but explaining why I think that the Lazar & co stuff has their place in this thread. Again, I am not advocating that we spam every tweet they put online in here but dont understand what possible issue anyone could have if a dozen selected ones end up in the thread.

I don’t have a dog in this fight b/c I appreciate both of your efforts, but it’s difficult to argue against @luuked in this case.

And in my opinion, his explanation will likely open the door for even more people to participate. I do feel as though some (or even many) were a bit turned off by the militant style of posting. It’s one thing to keep things more on track than in other threads, but the failure to include all levels of understanding from posters was the biggest drawback. No offense meant to anyone, and thanks for the work.

You're so awesome . We know. You've told us. :D

In the past Luuked and many others have posted discussion starting content and more knowledgeable members such as Ken, Andy, Kontra and a few others have filled in the gaps. It's been great.

Personally I've stopped reading your stuff because it's full of bizarre gibberish combined with an interesting vocabulary usage. Tryna, gone, rn , w/e or whatever.

I don't understand your motive. Are you trying to make a name for yourself? Get known and land an analyst job? Get voted as Patsfans local guru? Who knows but whatever it is good luck.

I am a novice by choice - I have no interest in Googling to learn. For me football is entertainment so I allow the coaches to do their job and I enjoy the show (and drink microbrews). I have no interest in learning the lingo, but most of it is self-explanatory, so I enjoy reading the "rewatch" thread. Yes there are different types of posts, but that is what makes "rewatch" a great thread. Everyone contributes from their own perspective, some input is drier and more technical, some is easier to read, some states the obvious, and there is everything inbetween. As long as the posts are attempts at objective insight, as opposed to GDT comments ;), it is all good to me. I hope everyone keeps contributing to our community, I never read the GDT but always read the entire "rewatch" thread. I want to thank everyone for their effort and would be disappointed if the content was reduced.

It's good to have a place where all the relevant clips/tweets are posted, though. Just because someone is posting someone else's tweet doesn't make it any less significant.

As long as it is meaningful and contributes to the thread, I'm all for it.

It's good to have a place where all the relevant clips/tweets are posted, though. Just because someone is posting someone else's tweet doesn't make it any less significant.

I think the issue that I have (just speaking for myself) is that the clips posted tell us the what (Gordon runs a skinny post, Edelman a short crosser, McCourty has inside/outside leverage, etc) and sometimes the how, but rarely the why. That’s why I find it refreshing when posters either post their own clips and follow it up with more of a breakdown than Twitter would allow a guy like Lazar. The clips that he posts rarely do it for me because they’re not telling me anything that I can’t see for myself. I want the nuts and bolts even if there is no guarantee that it will be 100% accurate. I also think that the people that post in those threads, and this includes you, are more knowledgeable than you’re giving yourselves credit for in this thread. Do the people that need their hands held really peruse that thread? The thread usually makes it clear from the get-go that “those types of fans” aren’t really all that welcome in the OP. If I can make a suggestion, then, to meet in the middle, if a clip gets posted and there is any doubt as to whether or not the “casual fan” will understand just what the hell the clip is talking about, either follow it up with analysis of your own or maybe copy and paste a link to the particular technique, package, etc being run. I think that would be a sound idea that will help all parties and educate everyone that goes in to the thread. It would also make the thread a bit more worthwhile than just an Evan Lazar/Matt Chatham/Baldy echo chamber that it sometimes becomes.

Last edited:
Yeah of course I am a novice and I never claimed to be anything else. That is the entire point of how those threads got started in the first place: to educate myself and others through discussion. That and have a place to talk about more than the usual positive or negative narrative driven stuff in the post game threads (i.e. hot takes).

I think that is what you fundamentally dont understand about the rewatch threads. They are not the equivalent of scientific journals of X & O but just a slightly more serious Post Game Thread with an emphasis on talking about individual plays or big picture stuff. Everyone is encouraged to post in there: from the elitist knowledgable person to the most clueless pimp.

The irony with you calling other people novices is that despite all the insight you have and terminology you learned some of your posts are borderline useless because you often fail the most important idea of this thread which is explaining things. Which is why on many levels the contributions of the so-called novices (and the ones from the Twitter guys) are often more interesting than yours and usually also spark more of a discussion.

Hell I take any post of anyone making a completely false assumption and the discussion it spawns over many of your single sentence tweets that are filled with jargon while your TV (or radio) audio runs in the background because apparently you still have not figured out how to fix that.

Maybe consider being a bit more verbose in the future (or buying a ****ing mic to fill that awkward void in your clips) and avoid posts where you just throw around terminology. Then maybe all the other novices and I can learn even more and the place will be better for it.
Who are you to tell anyone what to post? I'm sorry but I'm not listening to someone who has a hard time identifying nickel after how many years of being a football fan & there only contribution to the is copying what they heard on Twitter.

You're acting like these are your threads & they're not.

I've broken down more sh it in these threads than anyone else. Please don't come w that bs. I don't care about teaching anyone & for someone that hasn't broking down sh it maybe you should be concerned w posting actually content as opposed to biting Lazar's sh it like you've been doing.

And apparently you haven't figured out how to turn down the volume when you're listening to clips? People a lot smarter than me record it right off their phone & do it the same way.

Again stop being worried about the "average audience", "novices" & bring something original.

You're so awesome . We know. You've told us. :D

In the past Luuked and many others have posted discussion starting content and more knowledgeable members such as Ken, Andy, Kontra and a few others have filled in the gaps. It's been great.

Personally I've stopped reading your stuff because it's full of bizarre gibberish combined with an interesting vocabulary usage. Tryna, gone, rn , w/e or whatever.

I don't understand your motive. Are you trying to make a name for yourself? Get known and land an analyst job? Get voted as Patsfans local guru? Who knows but whatever it is good luck.

All these threads have become is a Twitter feed. Or casuals like yourself & luuked stating the obvious. It's boring & some would like more.

And regarding the grammar, you look old & bitter. You go around correcting everyone? No, you're just another group-thinking, post 1,000 words w absolutely no substance behind it.

It's the internet grampa, everyone shortens up their stuff & again it's more than obvious you can understand what I'm saying.

After you're done yelling at the kids to get off your lawn go put on a sweater & take a yoga breath.

We'll all be awaiting your "novice" insight as you like to put it.

This isn't a pissing contest.

Its a few posters pointing out the thread sux if all it is, is someone biting someone else's stuff on Twitter.

And the idea that copying/pasting is the same as original thought is laughable at best. It's not the same.

I'm sorry but if that's all you bring it's useless & this has been pointed out before by others.

I'm curious do you remember when these threads started? Who actually started doing these? Genuinely asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes