PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where's the "rewatch thread"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twist = a stunt. Rip move = punching the OL's chest, pushing with one hand, and pulling with the other to knock his man off balance. They're all terms you can probably Google if you need to. But that's fine.

I know that. You are missing my point. I was not talking about myself but if the average poster sees this he is left with a lot of question marks:

And I don't agree that it is on the poster to then go into Google and try to understand all the terminology if the OP could just provide as much handholding as Lazar does when he explains things:

I don't want this to become a BGC criticism because I love what he is doing in the reviews and on the draft board but his audience is clearly a different segment than Lazar & co. You, me or others who know certain things won't really be affected by it but the few people who come in to maybe learn something will not benefit from it.

Just a preference of mine. I also appreciate the links by guys like Lazar, Baldy, and Chatham but they aren't by any means infallible and if those links are posted, I would prefer that actual analysis follows them by the poster. That way, everyone learns.

I agree that ideally you'd want at least some kind of original thought or a question in addition to the expert twitter analysis and not just a gif and that is it. No question.

Twist = a stunt. Rip move = punching the OL's chest, pushing with one hand, and pulling with the other to knock his man off balance. They're all terms you can probably Google if you need to. But that's fine. I'm not advocating for a full on ban of those links. I'm just saying that I prefer more of the meat and bones that posters like BGC and PP give us. Just a preference of mine. I also appreciate the links by guys like Lazar, Baldy, and Chatham but they aren't by any means infallible and if those links are posted, I would prefer that actual analysis follows them by the poster. That way, everyone learns.
I disagree and find those links useful and illuminating even if nothing else is added. I would not encounter them if not for their appearances on the rewatch threads. My 2 cents.

Add my voice to the chorus of people missing the weekly access to an intelligent breakdown of the key plays and thoughts as why "why what happened the way it did"

even if such analysis relies on opinions that folks may disagree about.

I was not much of a contributor but was an frequent observer.

Anyway, let's hope any hard feelings get patched up and some analysis continues, going forward.

I know that. You are missing my point. I was not talking about myself but if the average poster sees this he is left with a lot of question marks:

And I don't agree that it is on the poster to then go into Google and try to understand all the terminology if the OP could just provide as much handholding as Lazar does when he explains things:

I don't want this to become a BGC criticism because I love what he is doing in the reviews and on the draft board but his audience is clearly a different segment than Lazar & co. You, me or others who know certain things won't really be affected by it but the few people who come in to maybe learn something will not benefit from it.

I agree that ideally you'd want at least some kind of original thought or a question in addition to the expert twitter analysis and not just a gif and that is it. No question.

I honestly don't see much of a difference. Lazar is just more articulated and puts more words in it. To reverse the question, how many posters here do you think know what the scissors concept is? Or inside leverage? Or an inside-out box? It's the same situation where your average poster would have to Google that if they didn't know. Conversely, when one of our posters breaks down his own film, they tend to go into a bit more detail than Twitter would allow a guy like Lazar or Chatham.

I disagree and find those links useful and illuminating even if nothing else is added. I would not encounter them if not for their appearances on the rewatch threads. My 2 cents.

That's fine. My opinion on it isn't the be-all, end-all. I just don't find Twitter links where they basically describe the play (i.e., the routes ran, etc) to be all that illuminating. I'm looking for a deeper dive than that if you post them. Why did the offense decide to attack the defense like that? Was it what the defense showed them at the LoS pre-snap? Did the defense disguise? What coverages were they employing? What was the blocking scheme? Stuff like that.

To be fair, it should just be a thread of BGC and others breaking down their own observations and anyone that wants to pull the film and make observations of their own. Otherwise, it's just a thread of people copying and pasting Twitter links that anyone can look up without much of a purpose to it outside of that. And I'm not intending that in a harsh way. It's just an observation. The thread gets so much better when the posters here put together their own film of the games.
Well I can't (or won't) do any of those things, so the "rewatch" thread gave me the opportunity to see a number of clips. That allowed me the opportunity to break down exactly what happened in that play and better understand why the result occurred.

Beyond that more actual football talk occurred in that thread than any other regular thread of the week. JMHO

BTW- what's that twitter thing you mentioned. ;)

Not at all. You made a great point and it made me wonder if I was just getting too biased and too deeply invested in a lot of what "I am seeing" (and the confirmation from some of the Twitter folks). So taking a step back from that was just the right thing to do.
It’s just a forum on a fan site. Don’t take it too seriously, the good or the bad. If you have fun doing it, do it. If you have an opinion, state it. That’s what this is all about.

@luucked. As someone who has watched football for years, but really understands very little, I thought it was one of the best and most educational regular threads I have seen on patsfans. It definitely the only one I would go back to the beginning to read the whole thread again a second time and still get to learn more.

Personally I like the twitter pieces all in one place, and the intelligent opinions from posters/twitter analyists (whether they agree or not). I appreciate it must take a lot of time and effort from all who contribute, and just wanted to thank you all for that.

No it should not be just armchair people like us or BGC posting their amateur stuff but also include the people that actually get really paid to do that like Lazar, Baldinger or Chatham. That is how it was conceived back last season and I don't see any reason to change it's "archive" function just because you disagree with what experts say or think its lazy that links to their work get posted.

Most of the time a Lazar/Baldinger link is posted there is also a paragraph posted that gives a rationale or a point why that specific link is relevant. That can be what the expert said or just some minor point (e.g. positioning of a player, how a motion cleared space..) in the A22 clip that was posted.

The main idea behind those posts is to not only to foster communication and education about X&Os so anyone on this board can come in and ask questions but also to serve as an archive of sorts.

And finally and maybe most importantly the stuff posted by Lazar & co is accessible to everyone whereas you can't expect everyone to have access to A22 and enough time to make their own gifs.

Sorry but I don't agree with this at all.

We have had our disagreements but I’ve enjoyed your rewatched threads. That said just because people are paid to analyze the game doesn’t mean we can’t question their opinions when we disagree with them.

Not sure I want to rewatch that game, I'm on to Green bay...

I enjoyed @luuked 's approach to the rewatch threads. Snap counts, some Twitter breakdowns prior to the availability of the All 22 was a great way to start the discussion about the game and begin the focus on particular plays. The follow-up posts that dug deeper into the game added to content. I don't understand the criticisms.

That said just because people are paid to analyze the game doesn’t mean we can’t question their opinions when we disagree with them.

The issue is not about disagreeing or not but about the question whether they should be posted.

I agree that just posting every single tweet Lazar or Baldinger does is close to just spam but to me if you just add a single sentence or full paragraph why you think the play you are posting (which was analyzed by someone else) impressed, confused you or has any real merit then there is nothing wrong with it.

I have been trying to post Lazar's tweet that starts his review threads and then pick a handful that were relevant to me for various reasons. Personally I think that is reasonable.

Last edited:
It’s just a forum on a fan site. Don’t take it too seriously, the good or the bad. If you have fun doing it, do it. If you have an opinion, state it. That’s what this is all about.

It affected my mood outside football / the board last week which is why I am taking a vacation from it. Depending on how interesting the game will be on Sunday who knows if I will actually make it until the BYE.

I apologize for not getting to it last night. Fell asleep around 8 & at work now. In the pouring rain rn for gods knows how long.
Anyway I think we're not that far apart but just have a small disagreement on the content?

@patfanken
I think @KontradictioN is referring to the above statement about the content.

At times it gets boring or repetitive (not tryna be harsh) when it's exclusively Twitter clips. It became the Evan Lazar thread. I love Evan, anyone not following him should, he's vg. I've talked w him a few times. Very nice & smart.

Now I absolutely want that stuff but it's one small snap shot. It might be about a play but there's excellent hand work going on inside or vice versa. A WR might run a great route but not be targeted & it wasn't highlighted.

Those clips are great but there's 0 original thought or basically repeating posting the same thing we just saw. There's no insight besides that & at times turned into a "Well Lazar said this" nonsense.

I post a million clips in my thread w a ton of other content but that's a "hey here's a name, fits our type etc" bc I simply can't go into detail on 1,000+ players. (Gone do 300 reports this year though, just started on Rush guys)

Anyway the thread really should be posters breaking down film. Anyone can go on Twitter to look at that.

I would love it if another poster(s) joined in w me but I absolutely understand that most, including me work & family etc.

Hopefully we can get a few posters going forward

At times it gets boring or repetitive (not tryna be harsh) when it's exclusively Twitter clips. It became the Evan Lazar thread.

This is simply a crock of ****. Go back and check the Chicago thread or the KC thread and count how much is "original" vs. Lazar/Twitter stuff. We should be at what looks at least like a 50% ratio which is perfectly fine.

Those clips are great but there's 0 original thought or basically repeating posting the same thing we just saw. There's no insight besides that & at times turned into a "Well Lazar said this" nonsense.

Again you are starting from a position that is in the 1% when it comes to understanding plays. Maybe for you there is zero value or thought in it but I would argue that more than half of the people here have actually no firm grasp on e.g. identifying something fundamental like nickel/dime when given a screenshot of a A22.

Anyway the thread really should be posters breaking down film. Anyone can go on Twitter to look at that.

Why ? To save Ian some database space ?

What is the downside of posting tweets from outside sources that seem relevant ? This whole thread should not be an ego thing where someone gets to show off but a collaborative effort to dissect the game or showcase things people most probably missed during the live broadcast.

Also why do you want people visiting Twitter instead of creating a conversation here on a message board ? I just don't understand what possible negative putting in outside sources can have.

In what world is more information something bad ?

Actually you want to know whats entirely worthless and has close to zero information / value for the majority of people ? Posts like this:

90% will be "what the **** is g sweep ?". How many people do you think will take the time to go and try to understand what it is compared to those who just scroll on to the next play ?

The real missed opportunity here is you know all of this stuff but under the guise of "I have so much other stuff to review" don't bother explaining it for novices but at the same time have an issue with outside analysts who actually do provide a lot of handholding for less knowledgable people.

Last edited:
This is simply a crock of ****. Go back and check the Chicago thread or the KC thread and count how much is "original" vs. Lazar/Twitter stuff. We should be at what looks at least like a 50% ratio which is perfectly fine.

Again you are starting from a position that is in the 1% when it comes to understanding plays. Maybe for you there is zero value or thought in it but I would argue that more than half of the people here have actually no firm grasp on identifying nickel/dime when given a screenshot of a A22.

Why ? To save Ian some database space ?

What is the downside of posting tweets from outside sources that seem relevant ? This whole thread should not be an ego thing where someone gets to show off but a collaborative effort to dissect the game or showcase things people most probably missed during the live broadcast.

Also why do you want to people go to Twitter instead of creating a conversation here on a message board ? I just don't understand what possible negative putting in outside sources can have.

In what world is more information something bad ?

Actually you want to know whats entirely worthless and has close to zero information / value for the majority of people ? Posts like this:

90% will be "what the **** is g sweep ?". How many people do you think will take the time to go and try to understand what it is compared to those who just scroll on to the next play ?

You know all of this stuff but under the guise of "I have so much other stuff to review" don't explain it but at the same time have an issue with outside analysts who actually do provide a lot of handholding for less knowledgable people.

Your tryna criticize the G sweep? Im gone make it symple for you rn.

It's basically a bang chop with a thrashing hip snap followed with an X Z shrug. Requires good base and fluid hips.

Geez. :eek::rolleyes::D

Your tryna criticize the G sweep? Im gone make it symple for you rn.

It's basically a bang chop with a thrashing hip snap followed with an X Z shrug. Requires good base and fluid hips.

Geez. :eek::rolleyes::D

Go stunt yourself you stemming rat.

Regardless or agreement/disagreement on individual observations, it was nice to have a weekly collection of All-22 clips that I could come check out and also a bunch of discussion from people who just wanted to talk football that I could digest. Was something I looked forward to reading (and often moderating “hot takes” out of lol)

Regardless or agreement/disagreement on individual observations, it was nice to have a weekly collection of All-22 clips that I could come check out and also a bunch of discussion from people who just wanted to talk football that I could digest. Was something I looked forward to reading (and often moderating hot takes out of lol)

And we love you and the mods for helping with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back