PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where's the "rewatch thread"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these threads have become is a Twitter feed. Or casuals like yourself & luuked stating the obvious. It's boring & some would like more.

And regarding the grammar, you look old & bitter. You go around correcting everyone? No, you're just another group-thinking, post 1,000 words w absolutely no substance behind it.

It's the internet grampa, everyone shortens up their stuff & again it's more than obvious you can understand what I'm saying.

After you're done yelling at the kids to get off your lawn go put on a sweater & take a yoga breath.

We'll all be awaiting your "novice" insight as you like to put it.

You're a strange dude.

I think the issue that I have (just speaking for myself) is that the clips posted tell us the what (Gordon runs a skinny post, Edelman a short crosser, McCourty has inside/outside leverage, etc) and sometimes the how, but rarely the why. That’s why I find it refreshing when posters either post their own clips and follow it up with more of a breakdown than Twitter would allow a guy like Lazar. The clips that he posts rarely do it for me because they’re not telling me anything that I can’t see for myself. I want the nuts and bolts even if there is no guarantee that it will be 100% accurate. I also think that the people that post in those threads, and this includes you, are more knowledgeable than you’re giving yourselves credit for in this thread. Do the people that need their hands held really peruse that thread? The thread usually makes it clear from the get-go that “those types of fans” aren’t really all that welcome in the OP. If I can make a suggestion, then, to meet in the middle, if a clip gets posted and there is any doubt as to whether or not the “casual fan” will understand just what the hell the clip is talking about, either follow it up with analysis of your own or maybe copy and paste a link to the particular technique, package, etc being run. I think that would be a sound idea that will help all parties and educate everyone that goes in to the thread. It was also make the thread a bit more worthwhile than just an Evan Lazar/Matt Chatham/Baldy echo chamber that it sometimes becomes.

I do see where you're coming from and agree with the it. I think the idea behind posting tweets, is in the hope that it inspires further discussion or analysis which sometimes or sometimes doesn't happen, maybe because more knowledgeable posters are not around or just don't have time.

Whether or not it inspires further discussion or if the rewatch thread ends up being a collection of tweets isn't a big deal to me. It's better than nothing, and certainly better than the "hawt taeks" reactions that pollute just about all the other threads in this forum.

This isn't a pissing contest.

Its a few posters pointing out the thread sux if all it is, is someone biting someone else's stuff on Twitter.

And the idea that copying/pasting is the same as original thought is laughable at best. It's not the same.

I'm sorry but if that's all you bring it's useless & this has been pointed out before by others.

I'm curious do you remember when these threads started? Who actually started doing these? Genuinely asking?

My perspective is, original analysis is always great when it gets posted, but it doesn't always happen and if that's the case, posting tweets in place of that isn't a problem for me.

Anything is better than "hawt taeks."

I do see where you're coming from and agree with the it. I think the idea behind posting tweets, is in the hope that it inspires further discussion or analysis which sometimes or sometimes doesn't happen, maybe because more knowledgeable posters are not around or just don't have time.

Whether or not it inspires further discussion or if the rewatch thread ends up being a collection of tweets isn't a big deal to me. It's better than nothing, and certainly better than the "hawt taeks" reactions that pollute just about all the other threads in this forum.
My OP in this thread was poorly worded at best and I should own that. I just wanted to give my own perspective on how the thread could be better.

The rewatch thread is currently rewatching itself and shall return soon - hopefully tomorrow.

I like reading through it and anyone that doesn't like it ... just stay out of it.

My perspective is, original analysis is always great when it gets posted, but it doesn't always happen and if that's the case, posting tweets in place of that isn't a problem for me.

Me too, and when it truly was a key play, and no analysis or insufficient analysis is provided with the tweet/post of the play, knowledgeable people soon chime in with more in-depth analysis. So... it STARTS the discussion and we usually get to an interesting place.

cant-we-all-vdaiua.jpg

This isn't a pissing contest.

You are the one making it a pissing contest:

I've broken down more sh it in these threads than anyone else.

Additionally you are going around calling people out that have been creating their own content for over 2 years now "casuals" that just "copy/paste" things.

I'm curious do you remember when these threads started? Who actually started doing these? Genuinely asking?

It was @Tony2046, @maineman209, @long distance, me, @reamer and @NE-VT (who has been dearly missed since the last SB). Last September. It was a direct successor to the threads that were made when Chatham did his weekly youtube clipshow postgame giving short insights in 2016.

Again stop being worried about the "average audience", "novices" & bring something original.

I will not stop worrying about the very base reason this thread exists in the first place. If you have an issue that this is aimed at the average audience then start your own thread and get the hell out of this one.

You are the late comer here and you will most certainly not start dictating the rules to the people who have been running the thread for longer than you have been posting on the main board. The same way you would not go into Ken's thread and tell him to do things differently I would expect you to show the same respect around here.

The rewatch thread is currently rewatching itself and shall return soon - hopefully tomorrow.

Great one, Icy.

On this re-watch bye id like to thank @luuked above all and @BaconGrundleCandy for great personal efforts to keep this going. Hopefully others can join more as the postseason team is taking shape..

I think @luuked did a nice job selecting twitter sources to start the threads w/o littering (that can indeed discourage discussion) and before “original“ material is created. Personally Id wait a day to give Post Game and Ken's threads some time to develop and more time for original content to be created but that could as well be overmoderating and maybe it works better the way it is now to complement the other two.

Hopefully we can keep it about (enjoying) sharing tape & tape thoughts, no matter the source . plenty of space outside for pissing contests..

Last edited:
I think @luuked did a nice job selecting twitter sources to start the threads going w/o littering (that can indeed discourage discussion) and before “original“ material is created.

Again, not that it matters where anything is coming from but please go back into the last few rewatch threads and see that I have usually posted more of my own observations using my own gifs and screenshots than anything early from Twitter.

If something gets posted while I am doing my stuff that I find interesting I will post it. But anyone claiming I am just copy pasting from Twitter is either purposefully disingenuous or just not able to differentiate between self made gifs vs. external tweets and most probably doesn't even look at the content he is criticizing.

Finally, and I have said it repeatedly, I rarely post any tweet without a comment on why or what I find relevant about said play. Sometimes it is just a short one sometimes an entire paragraph.

This is my first foray into this thread (I've been busy). My perspective from reading this last page (pg 4):

People like Lazar, Baldinger, Chatham and several others tweet clips of plays that are interesting, if not "key", and are most often worthy of at least some analysis and discussion. Some of them come with their own analysis that may provide valuable insight, but that some of us may disagree with. Again, worthy of analysis and discussion. I don't even mind if some clips are posted without accompanying analysis from the board member posting them since discussion will ensue soon enough. Frankly, I think we may not use enough outside sources. For example, there are all sorts of short instructional videos on standard line stunts (TOM, TEX, etc.) and calls that I've been watching lately (for my continuing self education). Posting links to stuff like that, when germane to the analysis of a game clip that relates to it, would be a valuable contribution for a lot of folks

For me, the analysis and discussion is the important part - and the more of it, the better - regardless whether the clip in question is "home-grown" or from an outside source. The reason for me is that the analysis and discussion using a clip (any clip) as a visual aid can be very educational for those average or casual fans who are interested in learning more.

Certainly, "home-grown" clips seem to typically cover plays that outside sources don't. They are also often higher resolution and/or cover more of the play from end-to-end. All of that is great!

However, if there's some notion being promoted that "home-grown" is always so superior to clips from outside sources that the latter should be discarded or regarded as "lower class", that feels like a purity test that completely misses the point of the thread. It reminds me of wine snobs and computer code geeks who seem to want to establish themselves as high priests in some sort of "society" that should be closed to "the unworthy" in order to better hoard knowledge and understanding and, thereby, gain authority and dominion over others.

F*ck that. It's really arrogant and stupid, IMHO. The tendency for some people to embrace that approach - keeping others ignorant for the sake of personal aggrandizement - has been harming the progress of human civilization for a long, long f*cking time.

So, the major value of re-watch for me is education for each other - and especially for those who don't understand as much as some of us. If that goes away because how it's presented isn't "pure enough" somehow, then I'm outta here.

This is my first foray into this thread (I've been busy). My perspective from reading this last page (pg 4):

People like Lazar, Baldinger, Chatham and several others tweet clips of plays that are interesting, if not "key", and are most often worthy of at least some analysis and discussion. Some of them come with their own analysis that may provide valuable insight, but that some of us may disagree with. Again, worthy of analysis and discussion. I don't even mind if some clips are posted without accompanying analysis from the board member posting them since discussion will ensue soon enough. Frankly, I think we may not use enough outside sources. For example, there are all sorts of short instructional videos on standard line stunts (TOM, TEX, etc.) and calls that I've been watching lately (for my continuing self education). Posting links to stuff like that, when germane to the analysis of a game clip that relates to it, would be a valuable contribution for a lot of folks

For me, the analysis and discussion is the important part - and the more of it, the better - regardless whether the clip in question is "home-grown" or from an outside source. The reason for me is that the analysis and discussion using a clip (any clip) as a visual aid can be very educational for those average or casual fans who are interested in learning more.

Certainly, "home-grown" clips seem to typically cover plays that outside sources don't. They are also often higher resolution and/or cover more of the play from end-to-end. All of that is great!

However, if there's some notion being promoted that "home-grown" is always so superior to clips from outside sources that the latter should be discarded or regarded as "lower class", that feels like a purity test that completely misses the point of the thread. It reminds me of wine snobs and computer code geeks who seem to want to establish themselves as high priests in some sort of "society" that should be closed to "the unworthy" in order to better hoard knowledge and understanding and, thereby, gain authority and dominion over others.

F*ck that. It's really arrogant and stupid, IMHO. The tendency for some people to embrace that approach - keeping others ignorant for the sake of personal aggrandizement - has been harming the progress of human civilization for a long, long f*cking time.

So, the major value of re-watch for me is education for each other - and especially for those who don't understand as much as some of us. If that goes away because how it's presented isn't "pure enough" somehow, then I'm outta here.

Just wondering if being called a "casual" is similar to being a muggle.

I actually agree w you about the bolded but to often the threads are only clips or that's the majority of the thread. Someone might post a small comment but it's literally repeating what they just read. Its a copy/paste party. This has been pointed out by several posters.

The issue Kontra brought up & he's definitely not alone is the content that posters bring. It's actually been brought up to me in the past via pm. Basically asking for me & a few other posters to do it.

Again those clips are great & I could bring in other sources but the thread was made for posters to dive into the film. It's for us, the posters.

Maybe separate threads is the way to go & hopefully mods don't merge.

The idea of expanding on Twitter breakdowns with analysis of your own explaining the why instead of the what and sometimes the how is an idea being put forward for educational purposes.

often the threads are only clips or that's the majority of the thread. Someone might post a small comment

Is there something preventing you and other posters from commenting with an analysis of the clips that are posted? Is there something in those clips being posted that's preventing "original content" from being posted in addition?

Is there something preventing you and other posters from commenting with an analysis of the clips that are posted? Is there something in those clips being posted that's preventing "original content" from being posted in addition?
There’s an attitude that’s begun to take hold in this forum that the guys that post these clips shouldn’t be questioned. I dealt with it earlier in the season with Brady and I dealt with it just last week when I was told Lazar knows more about football than I ever will (lmao). Lazar, in particular, is beginning to enjoy a fanboy status around here that only Brady and BB have historically gotten. From my experience, Lazar is good at telling us what is going on. When he gets into the why of it, he gets exposed. Nevertheless, that attitude stifles original thought and conversation.

Again those clips are great & I could bring in other sources but the thread was made for posters to dive into the film. It's for us, the posters.

Not all of us have the ability to watch the all-22, much less make clips out of the game, especially me. It's easier for me to piggyback off clips from you and the others (Lazar included, and I've criticized him in the past) to add on with my comments. Hopefully you understand.

That’s why I love it here, seriously, not sarcasm. Where else on earth or heaven could you find a four page thread that has anything to do with buffalo

I actually agree w you about the bolded but to often the threads are only clips or that's the majority of the thread. Someone might post a small comment but it's literally repeating what they just read. Its a copy/paste party. This has been pointed out by several posters.

The issue Kontra brought up & he's definitely not alone is the content that posters bring. It's actually been brought up to me in the past via pm. Basically asking for me & a few other posters to do it.

Maybe separate threads is the way to go & hopefully mods don't merge.

You're elaborations of the Twitter "problem " are humorous.

"Somebody PM'd me...." hahaha

I'm calling BS on that and if in the slight chance it's true the problem definitely isn't the posted Tweets.

Freaking funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back