PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GB @ NE rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Welcome to the analysis only thread. No hot takes allowed in here. Plenty of other threads for that.

Please be civil. Feel free to critique the play or disagree, but please don't become personal or start attacking each other.

Also, this thread is not some sort of "exclusive club." Everyone is welcomed to participate, to post an analytical tweet that's relevant, or to post original analysis, or a clip from the game.

Above all, if you don't understand something, whether it be terminology or concept, etc. Please ask!

Last edited:
The Edelman screen pass, watch the patience of the linemen, the 4 great blocks by Andrews, Brown, Karras, and Thuney. Nice timing and execution. 5 guys in front and all but Brady do something!

I’m most interested in the two Cover-0 looks we gave them. The one in the 4th quarter, the safeties retreated into a Cover-2. Clearly trying to force the INT. It looked like they were dropped into short coverage in the first half though in what appeared to be true Cover-0 that the big play to Scantling (IIRC) went for. The All-22 should clear that up. It was a ballsy, if not stupid, play that burned them in the first half (again, if it was true Cover-0).

Some details on Cover-0 for those unfamiliar...

How to Recognize Cover 0 - MyFootballMentor

Two plays I'd like to look at closely are the two TDs that we gave up that I think were breakdowns, the TD where JMac got caught trailing Valdes Scantling, and when Chung gave up that TD to Graham. In both cases there were no safeties over the top.

Pretty sure Graham was supposed to be bracketed in the RZ by Harmon, but he got caught flatfooted.
The play to J-Mac was the first Cover-0 look. If that was by design, then there wasn’t supposed to be any safeties up top as it would be straight man across the board. The touchdown to Graham was highlighted in an article on the postgame thread...

How the New England Patriots defense confused Aaron Rodgers enough to beat the Green Bay Packers

In one instance, Rodgers hit Jimmy Graham for a 15-yard touchdown after recognizing the Patriots' two-deep coverage with man-to-man underneath and waiting for Graham to clear Harmon's zone.

Another part of the game that I'm interested in were the scripted plays on New England's first series of the game and first offensive series of the second half that enabled them to go into warp speed. Looked like they were trying to get their linebackers on the field and prevent them from substituting, but it will be interesting to see opinions why they attacked them like that.

The Edelman screen pass, watch the patience of the linemen, the 4 great blocks by Andrews, Brown, Karras, and Thuney. Nice timing and execution. 5 guys in front and all but Brady do something!

It's funny that TB, who's always complaining about receivers giving up on their routes, gave up on his downfield "blocking" and then sort of picked up again once he realized the play was continuing.

adding snap count that is always good context to start with

Butler's rise and Shelton's further fall out of rotations bares watching. Could be game plan related but could also mean Shelton's sinking to backup role which would confirm him being the biggest roster disappointment so far imo. Next week is TEN rushing first game plan and if this trend continues its def. bad news for Danny.

Butler did ok in the new role he was preping for during this summer (adding some bulk) but id feel better with bigger body there for the playoffs.

Keionta Davis bounced back to starter after seeing his role increase a bit last game so that is another development to watch. First time it was for injured Flowers now it was with healthy DE corps available and improving Clayborn. It was game specific as well since Flowers played plenty on the inside - which confirms that they see him as main Flower's backup.

As i mentioned before i loved deep rotations across all D groups and snap count confirms it..

@ #nopassrush

DE Trey Flowers: 0.5 sack, seven hurries
DE Adrian Clayborn: 0.5 sack, three hurries
DE Deatrich Wise: two QB hits, hurry
LB Dont’a Hightower: three hurries
DT Lawrence Guy: two hurries
DE Keionta Davis: two hurries
FS Devin McCourty: hurry
LB Kyle Van Noy: hurry
LB Elandon Roberts: hurry
DT Adam Butler: hurry

Read more at: Patriots-Packers Takeaways, Metrics: Trey Flowers Ramps Up Pass Rush

@ OL despite “patchwork“ right side (w/o Mason . w rehabbing Cannon)
add some solid run blocking as well

Last edited:
Any ideas as to why the kick coverage was so much improved? It was solid enough that Gostkowski was often kicking high and inside the 5 again, which the Pats had seemingly abandoned in favor of touchbacks, after giving up so many returns ending outside the 30. I wonder if the personnel changed much on KO coverage. Not the kind of thing you can focus much on with the TV feed.

It's funny that TB, who's always complaining about receivers giving up on their routes, gave up on his downfield "blocking" and then sort of picked up again once he realized the play was continuing.

He was pretty funny on that play. Like when your little brother fills in for the missing guy, and tries hard but just looks totally lost.

Another part of the game that I'm interested in were the scripted plays on New England's first series of the game and first offensive series of the second half that enabled them to go into warp speed. Looked like they were trying to get their linebackers on the field and prevent them from substituting, but it will be interesting to see opinions why they attacked them like that.

That was a pretty efficient personnel/play design they had on that first drive. I don't know why they didn't go back to it for the rest of the game, except on a handful of snaps. Wish we could have seen it more often, especially after Martinez went out.

That 10 personnel (4 WR/1RB) on hurry-up did real damage because GB could not substitute out of their regular defense to match up with it. Caught GB with their pants down.

That was a pretty efficient personnel/play design they had on that first drive. I don't know why they didn't go back to it for the rest of the game, except on a handful of snaps. Wish we could have seen it more often, especially after Martinez went out.

That 10 personnel (4 WR/1RB) on hurry-up did real damage because GB could not substitute out of their regular defense to match up with it. Caught GB with their pants down.

It was scripted. That's why we only saw it on the first offensive possessions of each half and why you didn't see them audible at all on those possessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back