PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills @ Pats all-22 rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main thing I'd put on Harry is that he gave away the motion about 2 seconds before the snap but really I am not sure it really had any effect when you watch the replay a few times.

Sanu seemed to not be on the same page in terms of blocking assignment and that is totally on him. There is no sugarcoating here. It didn't look as much a missed block but actually like he completely avoided it.

It would have been a hell of a play for Harry to get out of this.

Harry was lucky to avoid a head or neck injury (his second scary head-over-heels landing of the first half).

As an aside, I still cringe every time I watch Gronk’s TD vs KC, when he ended up landing directly on his head/neck. It still amazes me that he didn’t severely injure himself. He was probably saved by his heavy weight training....luckily it occurred pre-TB12 diet and resistance band workouts.

That’s easy to say on a still shot but Johnson was in a backfield almost immediately and he may have made the play anyway. Given the direction that Harry ran to start the play, I suspect that the play was intended to go wide, with Sanu blocking to the inside. We can’t complain when Harry runs the wrong route and then also complain when he doesn’t stick to the intent of the play. He is 6’2”, 225 lbs, not Barry Sanders. That’s a tough improvisation and change of direction for a guy his size, given how quickly Johnson was on top of him.
I'm not complaining or blaming him, just pointing it out. I assume the play was to the outside given the route he ran, also agree it would've taken a RB type to see the opening and make the required cut. I also posted 3 still shots earlier showing how opening develops even before tackler breaks past Sanu.

Fact remains there was an opening to gain the 1 yard, just curious if the play call created it since the end guy leaned the wrong way (was fooled) or just a coincidence.

Are you talking about banjo coverage? Many teams use it against pick plays or bunch formation, the Patriots included. Usually, corners will maintain inside or outside leverage, and simply pick up the player who goes into their area; it's man coverage but has some zone principles.
I feel like I see it a lot on the other side off of a bracket to simplify the responsibilities. Cuts down on the miscommunication. I know we used it against Atl & NO. Seems like Bill will use against a slant/flat or other concept opposite the double. I know we've used more but I like that approach to make it as easy as possible. As opposed to all over the field.

Last edited:
Sanu seemed to not be on the same page in terms of blocking assignment and that is totally on him. There is no sugarcoating here. It didn't look as much a missed block but actually like he completely avoided it.

There was an interview with Sanu where he said something to the effect that he thought they were changing the play and he wasn't ready for the snap.

One thing I hope we see during the playoffs will be having JJ Williams matched on other team's receiving TE's.

Patrick Chung has been very solid against most TE's this season. IIRC his stats have been above average over the course of the season. However I was thinking that during the playoffs we will need the coverage on the Ravens' and KC's TE's to be not just above average, but "shut down" good.

Williams has a unique size and speed skill set that would fit well against those obstacles. He's also shown that he holds up against the run very well. I can only speak to his play in preseason. I know he got a lot of snaps in this game at CB, and I have no idea how he graded out, although I saw a comment that "he looked like he belonged".

I assume that Jones and JMac will be good to go in 3 weeks, which will likely put Williams back on the bench. Why waste a talent like Williams when there would be a situation where he can be used. I'm not looking for a positional change. Just a situational change.

What do you guys think

Due to the fact that Baltimore uses multiple TEs in similar manner to the Gronk/Allen/Develin approach last year (light fronts are run on/heavy fronts are passed on) you either need multiple really good coverage LBs (which this team doesn't have) or really good bigger/stockier DBs who can cover TEs AND shed and tackle in the running game (which this team MIGHT have in Chung, Brooks and now Williams).

As I've said in the past, versus Baltimore it comes down to first down. If they continue to get 6-7 yds every first down they are unstoppable because their "overload" scheme is designed to be automatic 2-3 yards per play with Jackson being the player requiring the defense's double team. That means only one of their other skill players has to "win" every play. That's great odds.

Winning on first down elevates the chance of making Jackson a pocket passer and less need for the defense to assign the double team to the quarterback making him have to win both physically and mentally, and having to process which of the skill players (or zones of the field) the defenses are designed to eliminate.

Finally getting to your question, if Williams can single handedly eliminate a TE AND shed that same TE's block and tackle well, he can absolutely help versus B'More. Against a speed team like KC, not sure if he's the right schematic fit.

Last edited:
Due to the fact that Baltimore uses multiple TEs in similar manner to the Gronk/Allen/Develin approach last year (light fronts are run on/heavy fronts are passed on) you either need multiple really good coverage LBs (which this team doesn't have) or really good bigger/stockier DBs who can cover TEs AND shed and tackle in the running game (which this team MIGHT have in Chung, Brooks and now Williams).

As I've said in the past, versus Baltimore it comes down to first down. If they continue to get 6-7 yds every first down they are unstoppable because their "overload" scheme is designed to be automatic 2-3 yards per play with Jackson being the player requiring the defense's double team. That means only one of their other skill players has to "win" every play. That's great odds.

Winning on first down elevates the chance of making Jackson a pocket passer and less need for the defense to assign the double team to the quarterback making him have to win both physically and mentally, and having to process which of the skill players (or zones of the field) the defenses are designed to eliminate.

Finally getting to your question, if Williams can single handedly eliminate a TE AND shed that same TE's block and tackle well, he can absolutely help versus B'More. Against a speed team like KC, not sure if he's the right schematic fit.
From the NEP/Balt A22.

Some takeaways...
"1st down/early lead will always be big w a team like Balt & QB like Jackson. Winning on 1st, not getting in a hole sounds capt obvious, it is, but consider the conclusion to that argument.
You have a multidimensional, big play waiting to happen offense dictating personnel/play on both sides at times & controlling the clock. From behind".

Thinking abt bumping or starting a new thread for potential Pats opponents. Anyway 1st down is huge in so many ways for that team. Can't wait for the playoffs. Those Sat games last week were awesome & really had that playoff vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes