PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cowboys @ Pats all-22 rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain to me what BB has done to make the most out of our bottom shelf TE situation? If there was any game to see them get involved in passing, you'd figure it'd be this one given the depleted WR corps. But alas, they were still minimal it seemed.

Feel free to be detailed, but if there is terminology, I'd love a breakdown - I don't even know what a "wham" block is. But I do love learning!

Can anyone explain to me what BB has done to make the most out of our bottom shelf TE situation? If there was any game to see them get involved in passing, you'd figure it'd be this one given the depleted WR corps. But alas, they were still minimal it seemed.

Feel free to be detailed, but if there is terminology, I'd love a breakdown - I don't even know what a "wham" block is. But I do love learning!
Good luck. I asked a simple question and got a sad face from Bacon Bits, the football nerd, lmao.

So you you're giving a IDL a free release, so you're OL'm can get climbing to the 2nd level . You "wham" from the side so he doesn't see it head on. Gronk was the GOAT.

Good luck. I asked a simple question and got a sad face from Bacon Bits, the football nerd, lmao.
Honestly don't remember this?

Exhausted. Taped 99.%/all the important reps. One for runs & one for pass. I'll edit bc of length & post in the morning when I can at work.

Really liked what I saw though. The 1st & last run he gives you a lil extra & throughout the games just stands out in a few areas of both run/pass.
Wynn faced multiple rushers including Bennett & Quinn. Bunch of twist. Power/finesse. He got beat on abt 3-4 really good plays by a great player. Fixable in a few cases but again the other guys are great players, in the 2 mentioned above.
He handled literally almost everything else w ease. Showed off why he was such a great player & made a few nice plays himself.

A wham block is basically a surprise block that comes out of nowhere. It's usually done by a TE, but can be done by any skill player moving behind (and across) the LOS to block an interior or line defender who initially believes someone forgot to block him, but then gets surprised when he gets "whammed" out of nowhere.

Gronk was a master at this because of his high football IQ, and he had both the massive strength and speed to just terrorize even elite DL players. A lot of them ended up on the ground feeling like they got hit by a train.

And as for the meager output of the TE's we have.. well.. that's the massive dropoff in talent between Gronk and your average NFL TE.

I'll go into detail when I leave this crazy place but here's the first part of the run blocking

Last edited:
Pass pro.

Btw that's my old man pup you hear in the background. Chewing, walking around waiting for me to go to bed. Still going strong at almost 19. Poor bugger can't see, hear, some arthritis & other stuff. Still does his thing though

Last edited:

Hard to see here, but you have to notice how Slater was moved inside and tucked in between Calhoun and Bolden, overloading on the right side blocking-wise, creating a hole for Ebner, and leaving Slater on a one-on-one with their weakest blocker, so the personal protector, Heath, ends up in a pick-your-poison situation (he picked Ebner). Once again exploiting a tendency they saw on tape.

Theoretically, J. Jones recovers the fumble, establishes possession, fumbles the ball himself and Dallas recovers. Is it Dallas ball, first and 10? I was panicking in real-time on that play.

Hard to see here, but you have to notice how Slater was moved inside and tucked in between Calhoun and Bolden, overloading on the right side blocking-wise, creating a hole for Ebner, and leaving Slater on a one-on-one with their weakest blocker, so the personal protector, Heath, ends up in a pick-your-poison situation (he picked Ebner). Once again exploiting a tendency they saw on tape.

Beat me to the question Ice Ice...I was asking the same thing myself, though I also noticed that the zebras didn't seem to care that the possession could be in question...I wonder if they even knew what the official rules are regarding that situation...

Beat me to the question Ice Ice...I was asking the same thing myself, though I also noticed that the zebras didn't seem to care that the possession could be in question...I wonder if they even knew what the official rules are regarding that situation...

I am surprised there was no review there...or I guess the Patriots recovering it made it moot? Couldn’t tell if Jones was down by contact (or giving himself up) when he initially scooped it. Would have been a really complicated situation if Dallas has come out with the ball.

Theoretically, J. Jones recovers the fumble, establishes possession, fumbles the ball himself and Dallas recovers. Is it Dallas ball, first and 10? I was panicking in real-time on that play.

Only if Dallas recovers the ball in a position where they could get a first down.

Pass pro.

Btw that's my old man pup you hear in the background. Chewing, walking around waiting for me to go to bed. Still going strong at almost 19. Poor bugger can't see, hear, some arthritis & other stuff. Still does his thing though

1st I purposely played both angles to show just how difficult Quinn is to defend.
Quinn gets a vg jump off the ball but he's not focused on gaining any ground w his strides if you watch his rush. He's basically trying to gain as much speed/power for that hop/euro step he times it on 3 as most will. He's steps are short, powerful specifically for that jump. He hits Wynn w cross chop (inside)/club(outside) simultaneously. Great play by Quinn but remember Brady got the ball away which was dropped. In the end its NOT the job of an OL'm to win. You're just asking him to survive, get it done by any means. Doesn't have to be pretty. I thought Wynn was a bit too passive here.

2nd clip same move/rush. Wynn gets aggressive, 1st to make contact & loses his feel/grip but regains to push Quinn outside the loop. Wasn't pretty, ended up too front loaded but remember the last rush is fresh & a good one. He just saw this same move & wasn't getting beat on strikes. Have really make it count w Quinn in terms of getting hands on him. Remember Quinn is almost reducing the surface by taking away his target on that hop step. Very easy to end up like that but again Wynn made the play.

3rd rep. Watch how quick Bennett comes off the ball. Wynn definitely checks it mentally, actually touches Bennett out of instinct which basically loses the rep. Definitely something you can work on, fix.

4th rep. Again Quinn is coming at him fast. 1,2,3, chop/club. Looks like Wynn makes 1st contact again or tries to but doesn't get enough of 58. He definitely gets more aggressive & decisive but has to make it count w contact.

Not much to be said. Very effective. Really like how clean that last block was. As low as you can get, aiming for the feet. Explosive no time for Quinn to react or adjust.

Only if Dallas recovers the ball in a position where they could get a first down.
Aha. Down count doesn’t reset in mid-play. Only after the play. So if Pats recover, establish possession and then fumble it back to Dallas it’s still fourth down, unless the ball has advanced past the line to gain, right?

1st rep is exactly why you got Wynn & what he brings to the team. Quick out of his stance, beats Quinn off the ball & to his set. Quick strikes inside & to Quinns hands. Control your man's hands & it's over. No one ever left their hands behind, kills the rush. Look at the feet firing. Ass always pointed at Brady. Great rep.

Skip rep

Cowboys run a stunt. Edge wants to occupy while DT comes off his block. Defender tried to use a club/rip (that uppercut motion you see a finisher) Wynn strikes first, guides him right into Thuney before picking up the DT coming up the arc.

Next rep. He's just trying to guide his man up the loop & never gets enough of him. Quinn goes stab w his inside, tries to control/knock down w his outside hand before using a rip to get free. Recognizes he's too far upfield to get to 12 so explodes back inside. Again a lil quicker, more physical w his hands but active hands works both ways as we see. No harm no foul.

Let's his beat himself up field.

Last rush he stays patient. Shows good recognition/awareness & handles power. Drop his anchor a few times. Good rep.

I wasn't worried because I never thought JJ established possession before the ball reentered the scrum. Whoever recovered the ball was still going over to the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots