PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills @ Pats all-22 rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I hope we see during the playoffs will be having JJ Williams matched on other team's receiving TE's.

Patrick Chung has been very solid against most TE's this season. IIRC his stats have been above average over the course of the season. However I was thinking that during the playoffs we will need the coverage on the Ravens' and KC's TE's to be not just above average, but "shut down" good.

Williams has a unique size and speed skill set that would fit well against those obstacles. He's also shown that he holds up against the run very well. I can only speak to his play in preseason. I know he got a lot of snaps in this game at CB, and I have no idea how he graded out, although I saw a comment that "he looked like he belonged".

I assume that Jones and JMac will be good to go in 3 weeks, which will likely put Williams back on the bench. Why waste a talent like Williams when there would be a situation where he can be used. I'm not looking for a positional change. Just a situational change.

What do you guys think
Great idea if the guy can hold up. I saw Chung beat twice in coverage for sure TDs if Allen hadn't overthrown.

One thing I hope we see during the playoffs will be having JJ Williams matched on other team's receiving TE's.

Patrick Chung has been very solid against most TE's this season. IIRC his stats have been above average over the course of the season. However I was thinking that during the playoffs we will need the coverage on the Ravens' and KC's TE's to be not just above average, but "shut down" good.

Williams has a unique size and speed skill set that would fit well against those obstacles. He's also shown that he holds up against the run very well. I can only speak to his play in preseason. I know he got a lot of snaps in this game at CB, and I have no idea how he graded out, although I saw a comment that "he looked like he belonged".

I assume that Jones and JMac will be good to go in 3 weeks, which will likely put Williams back on the bench. Why waste a talent like Williams when there would be a situation where he can be used. I'm not looking for a positional change. Just a situational change.

What do you guys think
Actually, I think that was exactly the reason he was drafted to begin with - to play the Brandon Browner role and line up against Kelce so DMac could be freed up to do other things (I think he was on him much of last year’s title game). He hasn’t looked out of place yet in the few but increasing snaps he’s played so far.

I don't think they're going to suddenly throw him out there in the playoffs, but hopefully he grows into that role in the years to come.

chung has been declining since last year...not crazily so, but enough were the man he covers ends up having the best night of opposing teams offensive weapons

he is getting old too

What do you guys think

Interesting idea. Do you really think he’s that fast? He might be slower than a healthy Chung. And is the game still moving too fast for him because he is a rookie? We’re also asking him to play a position he probably hasn’t played much if at all.

Then again, I think he played star in the nickel D against the Bills and that’s not so different from what you’re suggesting.

Great idea if the guy can hold up. I saw Chung beat twice in coverage for sure TDs if Allen hadn't overthrown.
Yes, he was and he has struggled this season, perhaps because he's had a tough year physically. I hope to see more J.Williams in the playoffs. We just might anyway, considering JMac and J.Jones are battling groin injuries.

Brady had one of his best games this year- he was sharp and hit on all the keys needed to win this game.

Actually, I think that was exactly the reason he was drafted to begin with - to play the Brandon Browner role and line up against Kelce so DMac could be freed up to do other things (I think he was on him much of last year’s title game). He hasn’t looked out of place yet in the few but increasing snaps he’s played so far.

It's essentially a red-shirt year for him. I think we're going to let Chung go next season. Williams will take over. Chung has had a good run but the injuries are starting to catch up with him.

He weighs at least 20 pounds more than when he arrived in NE. It’s all lean muscle and he is much, much stronger. What a great acquisition by the Pats.

Interesting idea. Do you really think he’s that fast? He might be slower than a healthy Chung. And is the game still moving too fast for him because he is a rookie? We’re also asking him to play a position he probably hasn’t played much if at all.

Then again, I think he played star in the nickel D against the Bills and that’s not so different from what you’re suggesting.
A couple of thoughts here in response to your comments.

1. IIRC he runs a 4.5 forty and has shown he can cover big WR's well. He did it ALL preseason and sometimes against other team's starters. Really fast WR's who get past his jam can get behind him, but because of his length he's a tough guy to throw over. You need the perfect pass. These were my observations from what I've seen.

The only reason he isn't playing is that the Pats have 4 CB's (Gilmore, JMac, Jackson, and Jones) ahead of him who are more experienced playing together and are doing fine jobs themselves.

2. I'm not proposing a position change at all, OR that he simply replace Chung as the starter. What I am suggesting is that in CERTAIN situations you run in Williams to cover a particular TE man to man. Doesn't take any "experience" to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots