PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Bengals all-22 rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One other thing we need to keep in mind is that the Bengals have a pretty good front line- so let's try not to beat up on our OL too much.

Bengals are not losing because of their defense- most of their games have been lost by just one score.

Dalton and their coaching is their biggest problems. No idea why Dalton kept targeting Gilmore but he really paid for it.

I like Burk running the ball 20+ times a game more than Sony. I think Sony can do a lot of good stuff with the right blocking but Burkhead can make more out of nothing.

I like Burk running the ball 20+ times a game more than Sony. I think Sony can do a lot of good stuff with the right blocking but Burkhead can make more out of nothing.

I think the problem has always been injuries for Burkhead (at least with us). I don't think he'd hold up carrying 20+ times a game. Of course, for a playoff run, it's worth leaning on him if he's the most productive back. No need to worry about long term injury risk when it's win or go home.

I think the problem has always been injuries for Burkhead (at least with us). I don't think he'd hold up carrying 20+ times a game. Of course, for a playoff run, it's worth leaning on him if he's the most productive back. No need to worry about long term injury risk when it's win or go home.
I know pats always redshirt RBs not picked in the 1st round like they did with vereen, white etc but i wish they played damein harris. Probably a numbers game where they cant make someone else inactive ? ?I heard he was ahead of josh jacobs in alabama who is running great in oakland . But oakland oline is quite too so, not sure.

I know pats always redshirt RBs not picked in the 1st round like they did with vereen, white etc but i wish they played damein harris. Probably a numbers game where they cant make someone else inactive ? ?I heard he was ahead of josh jacobs in alabama who is running great in oakland . But oakland oline is quite too so, not sure.

I think if all they wanted from a running back was to get as many rushing yards as you can, guys would be playing much sooner (on a consistent basis). But I think, having the luxury of Tom Brady, they view the RB position a little differently. I think first and foremost you have to show an instinct for pass protection, and then it's a combination of running ability and pass catching ability. It's possible Damien's looking good running the ball, but he's years behind White, Burkhead, even Bolden in the other areas. Michel isn't a big receiving threat yet, but he was a first round pick (so the timetable on him is a little different), and he's been fine in pass pro from what I can tell.

Question for anyone who can see it (or just might know the philosophy in general):

On at least one of Brady's sacks, it seemed like he dropped VERY deep, and the defender (Dunlap I think?) just kept pushing upfield past Cannon for an "easy" sack. My question is, when that happens, which is the likely culprit:

1) Was Cannon doing the right thing funneling his man deep, but pressure up the middle prevented Brady from feeling like he could step up? We've seen that a LOT over the years, where OT's let the rushers go wide and deep because they know Brady is going to step up.

2) Was Cannon beat, because even if his goal was to funnel out wide, it seemed to happen too fast for Brady to react?

3) And this could be in addition to either of the first two: Is calling for a play that requires that deep a drop a GOOD idea for this team right now, given the up and down performance of the OL? It just felt like Brady kept going backwards, and I have a hard time seeing Cannon (right or wrong) being able to sustain a block on a good pass rusher over that kind of distance.

If there's a breakdown on that play, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Yes. Sorry to bag on this, but this is more to the predictability thing of our offense I am talking about.

I used to complain about Brady' shotgun obsession back in the day. He now drops back to the same 7 yard spot on almost every down.

We have no variety What is it? Why is this so difficult? Seriously. We use very little deception, conceptually.

This is playcalling and approach. How about Dunlap sniffing out that screen where he almost picked it? This is how bad it's been. Better for sure on Sunday, than the last 2 games with teams who have average defenses, but it's still not there.

Even the hurry up offense as a wrinkle isn't used. It's not Sept. It's December!

Gashing?

Basically underestimating just how fast Mixon was, and how strong he really is- he basically breaks every first tackle. One of our defender would tackle him and the rest just stand around, but after a while they realized that they all had to pile on him to take him down.

In the 2nd half we saw a lot more swarming tackles.

Exactly. It was one play. Man, some of our fans are dramatic. Puritan Guilt I guess.

Not A-22, but the best I can do on short notice. Better release at the line (no chopping his feet trying to fool the DB) and a great finish after tracking the ball. I want to see more of this.

Great throw and play. Even if they don't hit it, it's the threat of it that matters. When was the last WR you saw outside the numbers who went into man and did that? Moss.

I mean, we see lesser QBs with bigger, athletic guys like this all over the league. Brady has one and he's really late in using it.

Just hit a 1st read in man if you think you have it. It's not that hard to decide on this. This is it.

[/QUOTE]
Not A-22, but the best I can do on short notice. Better release at the line (no chopping his feet trying to fool the DB) and a great finish after tracking the ball. I want to see more of this.

Speed release vs press. Not sure if he's trying to sell fade? Never "slips the hip" to properly stack his man though. Love to effort & hand fighting though. Idk I'm not killing him for that but maybe be a little more physical off the release. Anyway clean that up & keep feeding him.

Previous years they split him out wide on occasion, they seemed to do away with that. I wonder what the offense would look like with him and White on field at the same time as a standard. Run a pro formation package or even an I. I'm sure Rex wouldn't mind taking on a linebacker a few times a game. It would open up so many different looks. They could audible from 4 wrs split out to essentially a power run look.

I've noticed they run Sony in the earlier quarters and TRex later on. I wonder if reversing this would allow Sony to run better once D is tired.

Ok, Ryan, if you are going to cherry pick plays in defense of Brady, also show the plays in which a receiver was open but Brady missed him, because it happens every game, multiple times (fact). Or show the off target throws (plenty to choose from as well).

I'm really glad you got this clip.

What stands out is that Mason plants his forehead into the defender's chest just like I was taught decades earlier and look at the results. In today's game it seems like it is all about hand fighting (what we use to derisively call "titty blocking" back in the day). Hard to generate power when your energy is limited to the "punch". But when you have your entire body behind the block you get the results we see here.

Like all things in football, techniques seem to come and go. It's time we start to see more head and shoulder blocks, especially in the run game. Hard to create movement when all you use are your arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft