PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GB @ NE rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another part of the game that I'm interested in were the scripted plays on New England's first series of the game and first offensive series of the second half that enabled them to go into warp speed. Looked like they were trying to get their linebackers on the field and prevent them from substituting, but it will be interesting to see opinions why they attacked them like that.

I'll try to throw that together this morning. If not definitely tonight. Let's call it my "casual" contribution to the thread.

He was pretty funny on that play. Like when your little brother fills in for the missing guy, and tries hard but just looks totally lost.

I don't like seeing Brady in those situations. He's not really blocking anyone and is opening himself up for a big hit. There are some teams (Ratbirds especially) that would take that opportunity to take a cheap shot at Brady.

I don't like seeing Brady in those situations. He's not really blocking anyone and is opening himself up for a big hit. There are some teams (Ratbirds especially) that would take that opportunity to take a cheap shot at Brady.

I don't either. He did it against the Jets a year or two ago and could have been destroyed but have to give a lot of credit to the Jet players on that play because they ran around him.

I'll try to throw that together this morning. If not definitely tonight. Let's call it my "casual" contribution to the thread.

Please do the Cover-0 looks in the first half and the last series of the game as well. Looked like they were retreating into Cover-2 on the last series. I couldn't see that on the first series but they may have timed it too late.

Please do the Cover-0 looks in the first half and the last series of the game as well. Looked like they were retreating into Cover-2 on the last series. I couldn't see that on the first series but they may have timed it too late.

That'll have to be tonight. But yeah that would be good look at.

Reactions: PP2
Defensive snap counts.
This is intriguing to me because we seem to alter game to game the mix of dL lb and Sb snaps. We have trended toward 3 dL and a lot of 6 dbs.

However against Green Bay, contrary to what you would exoect we played 3.82 dL per snap and 5.16 dbs. LBs just about exactly 2.

That means we played 4-2-5 nickel about 85% of the time and 3-2-6 dime about 15%.

I would have expected a lot of dime vs this opponent based upon prior games.

Note that these are skewed a bit by not accounting for discrepancies due to and short yardage packages used.

It was scripted. That's why we only saw it on the first offensive possessions of each half and why you didn't see them audible at all on those possessions.

Doesn't mean they can't go back to it.

Re: the light box, it seemed to me that the Pats were trying to goad them into running the football ala the Broncos regular season contest in 2013 and some of BB's famed game plans against the Buffalo Bills in the early 90's.

FYI: I'm my third attempt at uploading. Keep losing internet connection. It's been up and down all day.

FYI: I'm my third attempt at uploading. Keep losing internet connection. It's been up and down all day.
tenor.gif

Two plays I'd like to look at closely are the two TDs that we gave up that I think were breakdowns, the TD where JMac got caught trailing Valdes Scantling, and when Chung gave up that TD to Graham. In both cases there were no safeties over the top.

Pretty sure Graham was supposed to be bracketed in the RZ by Harmon, but he got caught flatfooted.

We have an answer to one of my questions. Looks like we elected to zero blitz, leaving JMac in one-on-one with Scantling.. it was a gamble that we lost.

We have an answer to one of my questions. Looks like we elected to zero blitz, leaving JMac in one-on-one with Scantling.. it was a gamble that we lost.

Yep, so they didn't retreat out of it. Horrible call. I knew once Rodgers killed the play that one was going for a big gain if that was the coverage they were going with instead of a disguise.

• Agree
Butler's rise and Shelton's further fall out of rotations bares watching. Could be game plan related but could also mean Shelton's sinking to backup role which would confirm him being the biggest roster disappointment so far imo. Next week is TEN rushing first game plan and if this trend continues its def. bad news for Danny.
according to andrew callahan at masslive, it was by design:

Patriots defense flashed playoff potential in win over Green Bay Packers (Film review) | Andrew Callahan

For starters, Belichick and Flores knew the Packers would throw even when presented with favorable fronts to run against. Green Bay has passed twice for every time it's run this season, a ratio that cannot be explained by constantly playing catch-up. They've been competitive in every game.

It's simply how coach Mike McCarthy chooses to play offense despite holstering a top-5 rushing attack by DVOA.

So Belichick and Flores turned this stubbornness against him and his quarterback, and capitalized on the stale, static nature of their passing offense. They understood the scheme they faced and the mindset of those running it equally well. The allure of the air is apparently irresistible for Green Bay.

Running back Aaron Jones is averaging six yards per carry this season and picked up 5.4 per hand-off in Foxborough.

Yet somehow, despite facing perpetually and purposefully vulnerable fronts from the Patriots, Jones took only 10 carries after Green Bay's opening drive.

On that series, New England made it abundantly clear the Pack could run if it so chose. Defensive end Trey Flowers started at defensive tackle within a four-man line that fronted a lighter nickel defense featuring three cornerbacks. Jones rushed for six yards on their first play from scrimmage. Green Bay then passed on 10 of the drive's 13 ensuing snaps.

As the game wore on, Patriots defensive tackle Adam Butler, usually deployed only on passing downs, took a season-high 50 percent of the team's defensive snaps. The only other games when Butler's snap percentage has registered close to 50 were blowout wins over the Dolphins and Colts. Meanwhile, nose tackle Danny Shelton saw almost as many plays on defense (10, a season low) as he did on special teams (nine).

if callahan is right, we should see a lot more shelton than butler next week at tennessee.

• ThankU!
@KontradictioN

Play #3 is interesting. I think they were trying for a versus Colt type of TD reception with Gordon splitting the coverage for a reception but this time the DB prevented JG from cutting to his right. I wonder if we'll see that type of throw again.

Yep, so they didn't retreat out of it. Horrible call. I knew once Rodgers killed the play that one was going for a big gain if that was the coverage they were going with instead of a disguise.

What makes it questionable / bad is that it was pretty much exactly the same look they gave Mahomes on that incompletion. You can try to screw with a semi-rookies mind all you want but once you put in on tape maybe dont play with fire against Rodgers.

I dont think I need to even mention how I am generally not a fan of cover 0 gambles.

@KontradictioN

Play #3 is interesting. I think they were trying for a versus Colt type of TD reception with Gordon splitting the coverage for a reception but this time the DB prevented JG from cutting to his right. I wonder if we'll see that type of throw again.

I have seen quite a few of the experts calling it a bad pass by Brady as it was happening. The second A22 angle makes it look considerably less like a bad throw and just a disconnect between where Brady thought Gordon would end up and what happened.

What I liked as well was on play #2 seeing how pissed Allen was that he could not get the inside leverage on that running play block. He seems pretty damn determined to dominate every blocking rep.

Then on play #4 Allen picked #42 which gave White a lot more space to work with. In many other games this might have been a flag because this **** is called so inconsistently.

I have seen quite a few of the experts calling it a bad pass by Brady as it was happening. The second A22 angle makes it look considerably less like a bad throw and just a disconnect between where Brady thought Gordon would end up and what happened.

What I liked as well was on play #2 seeing how pissed Allen was that he could not get the inside leverage on that running play block. He seems pretty damn determined to dominate every blocking rep.

Then on play #4 Allen picked #42 which gave White a lot more space to work with. In many other games this might have been a flag because this **** is called so inconsistently.

I think that throw might be something Brady and Gordon are working on. Basically put it in a spot that Josh can just go get it by splitting the double coverage. Unfortunately the Safety plays it perfectly and gets in front of JG hindering his route and his ability to split the coverage. I don't know if that's accurate or not but will be looking for similar plays in the future.

@KontradictioN

We will see it a lot. Brady already trusts Gordon to high point those throws a ton which says a lot. That was just tighter coverage that time than he had in the Colts game. That drive makes it clear that they were trying to catch the personnel they wanted on the field and make them have to burn a timeout in order to substitute. They also wanted to establish the run as a threat and build some of their play calls/play action off of that later on. I wouldn’t mind seeing something similar in other games, where they script around 10 or so offensive plays for the first offensive possessions of each half and move at light speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back