PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GB @ NE rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the deal with Hogan? He was on the field for 75% of the offensive snaps, but it sure didn't feel like it. His nickname used to be "7-Eleven" because he was "always open."

watch Brady on this at the end of the play, when he realizes that he could have blocked the guy who just barely trips up White. He knows if he had just gotten in the way, White would have walked into the endzone untouched.

I'll gladly trade that touchdown or any others for Brady not exposing himself to a hit. I'm sure if Brady did get in the way and we lost him for a game or more it would not be worth it.

What if he did that against Terrell Suggs or that nutjob Burfect? You know they, and others like them, would take a cheap shot at him. Why take the risk?

I've been trying to gauge how fast they get into the backfield or how quickly they collapse the pocket.

It has gotten a lot better since week 1. I think Stafford probably broke an average maximum time to throw record. He literally had all day.

The difference between early season and the last couple of games is night and day. The coaching staff is trusting the players more and thus lets them try more risky/exotic plays and for the most part they are able to handle it.

Anyone who keeps saying this is the same defense as at the start of the year is just an idiot.

So what's the deal with Hogan? He was on the field for 75% of the offensive snaps, but it sure didn't feel like it. His nickname used to be "7-Eleven" because he was "always open."

That is a good question and I've wondered the same. Perhaps someone who has looked extensively at the all-22, this season, will have the answer.

That is a good question and I've wondered the same. Perhaps someone who has looked extensively at the all-22, this season, will have the answer.

Can't offer tape (iirc nothing significantly changed there) but the reality is that after return of Edelman, emergence of Sony, addition of Gordon and continuous rise of White as impossible match-up for most of the league he is #5 offensive option (#6 when Gronk is in). Add that White, Jules and Sony plays are safer, higher % plays and that TB somehow likes the % on Gordon's more contested plays or Gronk's when he's in - with both physically dominating their match-ups. So IMO this is not about Hogan but the “scenery“ that changed around him.

Having said all that his numbers are not so dramatically down from previous 2 seasons.

15 38 57 680 17.9 79 4 23 1 1
9 34 59 439 12.9 47 5 22 0 0
9 23 34 333 14.5 42 2 15 0 0

He made some crucial plays already this season and is still a significant part of this O, taking more of Amendola role, working patiently for his time to shine.

btw - he became a core ST player this year solidifying struggling unit

btw2 - unless there are injuries and he explodes in second part of the season this situation makes him a realistic target to bring back which id like esp. w only Jules (and IR rookies) signed through 2019 (and Gordon RFA)..

The difference between early season and the last couple of games is night and day. The coaching staff is trusting the players more and thus lets them try more risky/exotic plays and for the most part they are able to handle it.

Anyone who keeps saying this is the same defense as at the start of the year is just an idiot.

Quite a “hot“ take for a re-watch caretaker.. ;)

Every unit across the league plays significantly different (and most of them better) than in September. Judging September plays in absolute terms makes little sense esp. for the outsiders (unless they are well paid). Re-watches should take this into account as well.

To me this is the same defence that progressed naturally over the course of 9 weeks - individually, collectively and schematically. The fact that it remained relatively healthy certainly helped (while losing promising rookie Bentley hurt a bit, losing Rowe was always going to be addition by subtraction). The fact that O started to move better w additions of Sony, Jules, Gordon & ST coverage improved to decent level helped as well. And the natural growing confidence of first-time play caller probably factored too. One thing that I liked from the start and i believe helped as well are deep rotations across almost all D positions that keep players fresh and healthier.

Going by players improvement you had a few guys that started very strong - like Gilmore, Guy, KVN also DMC & Chung in their usual manners. You had guys coming back from injuries in Flowers, Brown, Hightower, JJ (also Rivers, Davis..) so they reasonably needed some time. You had uncertain positions at #2&#3 CB, #2DL. You had Clayborn and Butler trying to adjust to new roles, ways of playing (Butler added significant lbs to be a more complete DL this year).

Now you have #2 CB & #3CB sorted out (and J-Mac doing well there, JJ solid on most parts) + JC Jackson as intriguing rotational, tactical weapon also growing up. Hightower is coming closer to his previous form allowing Roberts & KVN to play to their strengths. Clayborn started playing Pat Type DE in effective way, Flowers of course is back to full form and a bit under the radar you have M.Brown bouncing back nicely after early injury. The only significant Q remaining is Shelton. TEN game might be a chance for him and hopefully he takes it.

And as you said - with this gradual but constant improvement on all levels - the play calling can better change as well (also due to great film work of coaches and scouts - one of the reasons everyone wants to play Pats in September..)

Last edited:
Depends on the back. Rest should help the ankle get better. If the back is shot, Gronk might be done unfortunately.

Could I be hopeful of just being done with Tide Pod (and any other) commercials? Wow his delivery on screen is...uhhh...rough.

Who's the feckin idiot now, homer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back