PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Browns and 1st rounder for Garappollo (Maybe Yes or No or Who Knows)EDIT

You trade JG to the Browns, he fails to turn around their fortunes so they cut him in 2/3 years just as Brady retires and we sign him on the vet minimum.

In a dream scenario...

If this were any other team, other than the Browns, I’d be pissed. But i tend to agree with Bill’s thinking that the Browns would have f’d it up and JG would end up playing for the Jets in a year or two. It’s worth dropping a round to avid that outcome. Although they could have used the Houston pick to draft Jimmy’s successor...

And we would have had whom as our back up QB for the rest of the season? Too late to the party Browns, as usual. Also, no one has really talked about this, but right now Jimmy G has not signed a long term contract, correct? He probably will, but what if he doesn't? Then who'll look like the genius (again)?

To paraphrase what I've said on Reddit, any scenario that results in Garoppolo not being a 49er in 2018 should also result in John Lynch's immediate firing.

Quite frankly, I could give a crap about all those 4 if the Browns offered that pick. None of that helps the Patriots. I just do not believe they offered.

Social capital goes a long way.

exactly, and where is McCarron today?
Pats would still have Jimmy and no "1st round" pick based on that EFF up by Cleveland.
I really think that partly played into it. BB did not have the confidence CLE could execute under a tight deadline and the trade be ruled null and void. Reiss says dealing with CLE was a pain in the ass. They f-ed up the AJ trade and they reneged on a verbal agreement with DEN.

According to Joe Thomas...

It was one of those moments where it didn't really even sink in for a few days until people in our media were telling me that there was a deal on the table that was almost done. It was just a matter of the Browns saying yes to something that they had almost previously agreed to and I would've been packing my bags to go to Denver."

Who would want to work with people like this? I can get why BB wouldn't give them the time of day.

Joe Thomas recalls day he was nearly traded to Denver

Last edited:
Prediction: if Jimmy leads the 49ers to the SB in 2018, Cleveland will then be certain they would have given up both first round picks. And if Jimmy flops once he starts a full season (with DC's seeing film of him and scheming accordingly), Cleveland was just talking hypothetically about giving a first round for Jimmy and never really would have done it.

To paraphrase what I've said on Reddit, any scenario that results in Garoppolo not being a 49er in 2018 should also result in John Lynch's immediate firing.
Agreed, and I am sure it was the timing of things that didn't allow them to work things out ahead of time, but the 49ers took a big risk by trading the pick before they had Jimmy G. locked up long term. That's why it's hard to buy that there were multiple teams out there who were willing to offer a 1st. For what? An (at the time) unproven, short-term rental? Not likely.

I think everyone would agree that Bill thinks Jimmy G is a good player. For that reason alone, I don't think he would trade him anywhere in the AFC. He dumped Bledsoe to the Bills as I think he felt confident in playing against him. The same might not be true of Jimmy G.

I’ve said it before, All Cleveland fans have to go to sleep knowing that for the price of Myles garret, they could have had jimmy.

That is going to make them sick to their stomach for years. Penny wise, Pound foolish.

Considering that Don Yee is Brady and Garoppolo's agent maybe Belichick made this move in good faith that Don Yee will somehow return the favor perhaps with a team friendly Brady restructure.
That would be a phenomenally unethical (borderline illegal) thing to do and I certainly hope that is not that case.

Something tells me that is not the case.

I do. It was reported at the time that it would need to be an overwhelming package from an AFC team, and a 1st rder wasn' enough. In fact, the word was TWO 1st rders.

Again, 80% of the league is so poorly managed a team like the Skins, traded 2 1st rders for RG3 and other picks.

How is he worth that and Jimmy not worth close to the same? It doesn't make sense why these teams are so dumb.

They could have dealt Cousins off, got a draft pick for him, and then had a better prospect in JimmyG.

BB can't control dumb franchises. Liek, right now, if I am KC, I am backing up the Brinks truck for Caserio/McDaniels and promoting Mahomes, firing Reid and Alex Smith.

Many teams still don't get it.

No one was giving up the #4 pick plus another 1st rounder for the Patriots backup.

This is revisionist history now.

In October, many talking heads were opining that front offices thought G. was mediocre.

It was truly reported as a 1st rd pick. I believe it.

The problem is, BB wasn't going to dump Garropolo off into an awful situation. I think the only reason why he did with Collins is what he wanted him out ASAP, and knew Collins wanted the most money only, not caring where he played.

BB is friendly with Shanahan. Shanahan actually sat down with BB, presumably at the Gm/owners/coaches meetings, where Shanhan asked BB how the Pats did it to beat his team from a defensive standpoint, shutting that door in the 4th qtr.

Plus, BB and Mike Shanahan are friendly.

Belichick doesn't have the best interests of the Patriots in mind, apparently.

BS. Not buying it at all.

I think everyone would agree that Bill thinks Jimmy G is a good player. For that reason alone, I don't think he would trade him anywhere in the AFC. He dumped Bledsoe to the Bills as I think he felt confident in playing against him. The same might not be true of Jimmy G.

It remains to be seen how good he is. I mean, he separated his shoulder after his first hard hit.

But the 4th pick in the draft is a massive upgrade over a middle 2nd rounder. You make that trade 9,999 times of out of 10,000. And we're talking about Cleveland here, a team that is not even in New England's division.

Hell, you can easily argue that Cleveland tagging the Steelers with an annual loss makes the Patriots' road to the Super Bowl easier.

This argument about deliberately taking less makes no sense to me.

Reiss already reported dealing with that Browns organization with the Jamie Collins trade was "arduous".

Why deal with that ****show! I wouldn't! Plus you get Jimmy out of the conference.
would you have taken the 1 and the 4?

1. Trading Jimmy to the Browns would be career ending -CORRECT
2. Browns aren't guaranteed to send in the paperwork on time -CORRECT
3. Trading to NFC is better than AFC -CORRECT
4. Our trade is a win for all parties
o_O NOT SURE

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes