PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns interested in trade for Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Makes too much sense for them . and like Lombardi said before they will be aggressive.

Hue Jackson doesn't have too much time . to wait for some college guy to develop.

If it is inevitable he leaves . then Id hate this move the least.

___

Report: Browns Interested In Possible Trade For Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo - NFLTradeRumors.co

Quotes:

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer spoke to sources at the Senior Bowl who said that the Browns’ reported interest in Patriots backup QB Jimmy Garoppolo “is real” and they’ll attempt to trade for him, depending on how their evaluations of this year’s draft prospects go in the coming weeks.

Cabot expects Cleveland to have competition for Garoppolo, possibly from Kyle Shanahan, who is expected to be hired as the 49ers’ head coach in the coming days. Even so, Cabot’s sources say that they Browns are “intrigued” by Garoppolo and will strongly consider pursuing a trade for him.

If the Browns are able to agree to a deal with the Patriots for Garoppolo, Cabot says it will likely cost them the No. 12 overall pick and more.

Spikes says #powwwwwwwww

At any given time the Browns board I read has a couple of Jimmy G threads going. I guess that won't let up any time soon now.

The Browns could get decent if they get a few OL vets to go with Thomas and a returning Bitonio. Pryor and Coleman are a decent pair of WR and Crowell/Johnson is a solid RB pair. Put JG with that (critical to get some OL vets) and the offense could be decent. Garrett and Collins start the D and they have extra picks (even if they moved #12) to add to the defense.

I hope the Browns have figured out that there's no sense spending on a QB if you don't also spend on an OL to protect him. Cleveland has been the place QBs go to be broken.

Jackson coaching Garoppolo throwing to Coleman and maybe Gordon in the future could be a major step up for the Browns. They'd still have a loooong way to go, but that would certainly be a good start. Jackson is a good coach when it comes to coaching up QBs.

Jackson coaching Garoppolo throwing to Coleman and maybe Gordon in the future could be a major step up for the Browns. They'd still have a loooong way to go, but that would certainly be a good start. Jackson is a good coach when it comes to coaching up QBs.
I don't know of many Browns fans who think Gordon plays for them again. Coleman and Pryor could be a solid pair though. In the unlikely event that you can add Gordon and it's really nice.

It's great for the Pats, but concerned JG could be going to a graveyard.

For what its worth as far as trade destinations, Jimmy Garoppolo is a Chicago native.

Just speculative advice, but

Jimmy Garoppolo should be a target for Bears, per NFL analyst

Though they've suffered from lackluster quarterback play, the Bears are better than people think. There's a reason they're fourth in my "worst to first" rankings for the 2017 season. Chicago already has a defense that ranked 15th overall, plus a strong running game led by rookie back Jordan Howard. Barkley and Hoyer will be free agents and Cutler is a likely -- though not definite -- goner. If the Bears landed a legitimately good signal-caller, it could make a huge difference. I'd use the third overall pick to bolster the roster elsewhere and seek a more mature quarterback outside of the draft. Romo might be available, but if I were in their shoes, I'd try to trade for Jimmy Garoppolo, a Chicago-area native who played for general manager Ryan Pace's alma mater, Eastern Illinois.

The tricky part for the Browns, if they perefer Watson, Trubisky, etc, they can't be sure they'll get him at #12 (and almost certainly won't use #1). If they like JG and could do something for him involving #12, it would be huge for them to be able to do it and be done, they'd have their guy. If they wait for the draft they could lose JG only to find the QB they wanted is gone in the top 11.

Cleveland's first and a fourth would get the deal done while also giving the league office a big middle finger. Belichick loves versatility after all.

I'd rather trade with SF49ers.... they have the #2 pick overall.

From there we trade back multiple times because we aren't desperate for that 1 big impact player like most teams are.

We go from 2 overall and trade back to #7 and get a couple extra picks... then we go from #7 to #12 and get a couple extra picks... then from #12 to #18 and get more picks....etc etc etc... BB will own the draft like none other.

Cleveland's first and a fourth would get the deal done while also giving the league office a big middle finger. Belichick loves versatility after all.

Remember a 4th gets confiscated this year by the cheating NFL*.

"they’ll attempt to trade for him, depending on how their evaluations of this year’s draft prospects go in the coming weeks"

This, to me, is the key phrase. It depends on their evaluation on the prospects.

Watson and Trubisky are grading out as fringe top 5 picks. If this article is correct, then it sounds like Hugh Jackson's job depends on his ability to find a starter. He can't afford to reach big and fail at #1 overall. Pick 10 is tricky, they would likely have to trade up from that spot to get either QB.

Cleveland holds pick #33, a big value pick. I assume that, if interested, they will try to move this pick for Garoppolo.

"they’ll attempt to trade for him, depending on how their evaluations of this year’s draft prospects go in the coming weeks"

This, to me, is the key phrase. It depends on their evaluation on the prospects.

Watson and Trubisky are grading out as fringe top 5 picks. If this article is correct, then it sounds like Hugh Jackson's job depends on his ability to find a starter. He can't afford to reach big and fail at #1 overall. Pick 10 is tricky, they would likely have to trade up from that spot to get either QB.

Cleveland holds pick #33, a big value pick. I assume that, if interested, they will try to move this pick for Garoppolo.

Well, what a team wants to give up, but will give up, will likely change.

It seems at least if you listen to messageboard wisdom :rolleyes: that a team shouldn't give up a 1st round pick for Jimmy, but remember that Robert Kraft was adamant about not trading the Pats' #1 pick to the Rats to get them to release their claim on BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back