PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns interested in trade for Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
We dont need the number 12 pick either. Jimmy for the 12th pick is poor value when he is worth the number 1 pick

You're getting a good player at 12. I want as many picks to build this defense up if they lose a couple of players through FA

Brady IS remarkable. And to "keep JG" until Brady retires no longer seems to make any sense. Add to that, the fact that NE seems to love Brissett's toughness & leadership, and I think JG moving this spring is more likely than ever.

And if they can pry away that 12th overall : I'm not as set on moving back. Cassell brought in Chung. Looking back : wow. The SF pick became Mayo. If JG brings in a player like those guys : score.

I agree that the way Brissett has looked makes it easier to trade Jimmy with less regrets.

giphy.gif

"This must be what Bill Belichick will feel like on draft day." :)

This absurdly makes too much sense.
Garoppolo #32 (or 31) and #64 (or 63) for #1 and #33. The Patriots move up to say 8 or 9 with an extra #2 or whatever and the Browns get their QB and still keep the same number of draft picks.

I don't know why some people are so anxious to trade the Pats' top picks away as part of a deal.

I would hate to see the Pats trade away Jimmy and their top two picks, in exchange for two higher picks in each round. On principle alone I want the Pats to keep their picks, plus the Pats could use help in multiple positions.

They already lost Collins, could lose Hightower and/or Bennett, not to mention OT, RB, and TE depth.

I want to see them get what they can get for Jimmy and keep their own picks.

It's tough to assign a value to Garoppolo. Fans almost always overestimate a player's trade value. For example, no one would've predicted that trading Jaime Collins mid-season would've netted us a 4th-round pick, they would've expected it to be much higher than that.

There's no way we get the #1 overall pick for him. I think even the #12 overall pick is unrealistic. I think perhaps the Browns' second round pick, and maybe another 2nd next year, is fair -- something along the lines of what the Chiefs gave up for Alex Smith.

The Vikings trade for Bradford is hard to compare to, because the Vikes had no leverage whatsoever, they basically had to find a quarterback last-second. It was a desperation move. That's different from, say, the Browns, who can say, "well, if your asking price is unrealistic, we'll just turn around and draft one of those players available."

It's not just a matter of saying "Garoppolo is more polished than Watson/Trib/etc". It's apples and oranges, because when you sign those guys you're getting them on (essentially) a 5-year contract -- four very cheap rookie years, and then a reasonable 5th-year-option. Garoppolo will require a massive extension, and then hurts his trade value and the leverage that the Pats have.

This is also a guy with only 94 pass attempts on his career. Yes, he's been successful, but the sample size is incredible small and it sort of discounts how well he's played. I think by and large he's an unknown commodity.

I'd rather trade with SF49ers.... they have the #2 pick overall.

From there we trade back multiple times because we aren't desperate for that 1 big impact player like most teams are.

We go from 2 overall and trade back to #7 and get a couple extra picks... then we go from #7 to #12 and get a couple extra picks... then from #12 to #18 and get more picks....etc etc etc... BB will own the draft like none other.

And then we wake up .. and go to work..

It's tough to assign a value to Garoppolo. Fans almost always overestimate a player's trade value. For example, no one would've predicted that trading Jaime Collins mid-season would've netted us a 4th-round pick, they would've expected it to be much higher than that.

There's no way we get the #1 overall pick for him. I think even the #12 overall pick is unrealistic. I think perhaps the Browns' second round pick, and maybe another 2nd next year, is fair -- something along the lines of what the Chiefs gave up for Alex Smith.

The Vikings trade for Bradford is hard to compare to, because the Vikes had no leverage whatsoever, they basically had to find a quarterback last-second. It was a desperation move. That's different from, say, the Browns, who can say, "well, if your asking price is unrealistic, we'll just turn around and draft one of those players available."

It's not just a matter of saying "Garoppolo is more polished than Watson/Trib/etc". It's apples and oranges, because when you sign those guys you're getting them on (essentially) a 5-year contract -- four very cheap rookie years, and then a reasonable 5th-year-option. Garoppolo will require a massive extension, and then hurts his trade value and the leverage that the Pats have.

This is also a guy with only 94 pass attempts on his career. Yes, he's been successful, but the sample size is incredible small and it sort of discounts how well he's played. I think by and large he's an unknown commodity.

Well, if a team doesn't want to give up a #1 plus, they are certainly free to keep those picks and try and make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

It's all about supply and demand and the supply of quality QBs available looks meagher.

As far as getting a young player for 5 years goes, it depends on the player. The Texans got Osweiler for several years, but do you think they might like a do over?

There is a joke here that fits involving two women complaining about the food at a resort...

"The food here is really horrible."

"I know, and such small portions."

Lol we are not getting Clevelands 1st. More like 12 and Philadelphia 2nd or Phillys 2nd next year.
Anything in the top 15 (could be better if the Niners and Chicago get interested) plus a 2nd day pick this year and one next year, is great value for someone who frankly is not part of your long term plans.

That kind of pick would allow the Pats to add an elite DL prospect and a good DL prospect at 32, After that we should add a speed LB, big RB, big CB, and fill in any FA losses. But for starters we need to add an edge rusher and inside rusher at the top of this draft and continue to get faster at LB.

1. Comparing some college prospects (that are not viewed too highly as a class) to a guy who matured under BB and TB & co. for 3 years and showed not only that he is NFL ready but glimpses of elite QB doesn't make much sense.

2. I believe Hue Jacksons wants best for his team NOW. Like somebody mentioned already, his job is to find the best possible starter for Cleveland this year. They have abundance of top picks and they have money they actually have to spend so big contract looming next year will be no issue for them.

3. The only person who dictates price for Jimmy is BB. Browns will (possibly) not be competing only against SF, CHI (possibly Arizona etc.) but also BB. Pats don't need to trade Jimmy. They don't need extra picks. With some 70M+ to spend in FA and 7 picks in first 5 rounds they are all set to build another great roster.

I don't know why some people are so anxious to trade the Pats' top picks away as part of a deal.

I would hate to see the Pats trade away Jimmy and their top two picks, in exchange for two higher picks in each round. On principle alone I want the Pats to keep their picks, plus the Pats could use help in multiple positions.

They already lost Collins, could lose Hightower and/or Bennett, not to mention OT, RB, and TE depth.

I want to see them get what they can get for Jimmy and keep their own picks.
Read it again. We trade up in rounds 1,2, and 3. The 32 becomes 1; the 64 becomes 33, the 96 becomes 65. We "trade our picks away" for way, way, waaaay better picks.

Anything in the top 15 (could be better if the Niners and Chicago get interested) plus a 2nd day pick this year and one next year, is great value for someone who frankly is not part of your long term plans.

That kind of pick would allow the Pats to add an elite DL prospect and a good DL prospect at 32, After that we should add a speed LB, big RB, big CB, and fill in any FA losses. But for starters we need to add an edge rusher and inside rusher at the top of this draft and continue to get faster at LB.
The thing about the trade market is the Patriots will get what teams are prepared to pay. All it takes is one team to make a Godfather offer and for that news to spread and suddenly, you've got a bidding war.

If we trade JG to either the Browns or 49ers I also agree with others that we should load up on picks because this year draft pick except quarterbacks is loaded. I'd invest a high pick on a defensive back and maybe a safety to replace Chung. If we get a solid secondary going into next season we might become the best defense in the NFL. Our front 7 seem to be solid, but we may need another pure pass rusher since Sheard has been inconsistent and Ninkovich is getting up there in age and can't take as many snaps as he did the previous seasons.

If Floyd sticks around this offseason we should all be set with our WR core as Mitchell develops and Hogan and JE take being there will make our offense that much better. Lastly when Gronk comes back our offense will truly become unstoppable.

Better idea: We go to JG, and say "Sign a contract to hold a clipboard until Tommy says he's done (or we think he's done) at low money... or you go to Cleveland."

Okay I kid, there is apparently an amount of money you can pay someone in the NFL to play in Cleveland.

BTW- How would people feel about the Pats winding up with someone's high 2nd and 3rd round picks this year and a first next year? We wouldn't get that elite talent we are hoping for this off season, but put it off until next year when we don't have all the cap room we have now and look to improve the DL pass rush through FA

The factory of sadness or San Fran? Poor guy!

#12 and #33 would be pretty sweet though.

Here's a way to approach Cleveland and tell them you'll take the #1 pick this year. They keep their other first round pick (#12) as well as their 2 second rounders to build around him. The Pats take that pick and keep trading down to maximize picks....
They can spin it as getting their franchise QB with the top pick...

BTW- How would people feel about the Pats winding up with someone's high 2nd and 3rd round picks this year and a first next year? We wouldn't get that elite talent we are hoping for this off season, but put it off until next year when we don't have all the cap room we have now and look to improve the DL pass rush through FA
Belichick will do what Belichick always does. He'll spend acquired picks on high risk vs. reward draft fallers or he'll move down or into the future. It's something that seems to happen every few years with the Patriots and one of the reasons why the team has managed to be so good for so long.

I can understand why the Pats wouldn't want to trade Garrapolo.. its a tough situation. Going against the normal laws of aging QB's.. you would think at best Brady has 3 years left at a high level of play if he doesn't get hurt. That might be wishful thinking.. or maybe not lol. But Brady is a special case and I think you have to stick with him until the writing is on the wall.

If the Pats truly think Jimmy is the real deal then they will get Clevelands #12 pick. And if the Pats don't get an offer that they think is worthy then you can always keep him as an insurance policy for next season. But if they are sticking with Brady no matter what which I believe they will.. then its best to trade Jimmy while his value is at his highest..

It would just royally suck to see Brady fall off dramatically in 2017 or 2018.. and Watch Garrapolo become an elite QB for the next 10-12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe