PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns interested in trade for Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy G has one year left on his deal, before he gets paid. Before I give up the 12th pick for him I will bid on Glennon, or Tyrod Taylor, for nothing while I build up my team. I disagree that the team is under pressure to win, their fans know the team sucks. They have to quit spending #1 picks on QBs.

I don't think that's true. Dominik made the point the other day. JJ watt was by far the best (non qb) player in the league, and they couldn't do better than 9-7. Tennessee, with a pretty avg team adds mariota, and they go 9-7.

You have to keep taking swings at qb until you get it right. Doesn't matter how many other great pieces you have, you need a QB to make it go.

It's tough to assign a value to Garoppolo. Fans almost always overestimate a player's trade value. For example, no one would've predicted that trading Jaime Collins mid-season would've netted us a 4th-round pick, they would've expected it to be much higher than that.

There's no way we get the #1 overall pick for him. I think even the #12 overall pick is unrealistic. I think perhaps the Browns' second round pick, and maybe another 2nd next year, is fair -- something along the lines of what the Chiefs gave up for Alex Smith.

The Vikings trade for Bradford is hard to compare to, because the Vikes had no leverage whatsoever, they basically had to find a quarterback last-second. It was a desperation move. That's different from, say, the Browns, who can say, "well, if your asking price is unrealistic, we'll just turn around and draft one of those players available."

It's not just a matter of saying "Garoppolo is more polished than Watson/Trib/etc". It's apples and oranges, because when you sign those guys you're getting them on (essentially) a 5-year contract -- four very cheap rookie years, and then a reasonable 5th-year-option. Garoppolo will require a massive extension, and then hurts his trade value and the leverage that the Pats have.

This is also a guy with only 94 pass attempts on his career. Yes, he's been successful, but the sample size is incredible small and it sort of discounts how well he's played. I think by and large he's an unknown commodity.

Thank you! Finally, the voice of reason. He's played a game and a half and has one year left on his contract. So even if a team traded for him and waited on the extension they would be faced with a similar situation the Broncos found themselves in with Osweiler. Brock looked pretty good for one year too. It's a lose/lose situation for the team that traded for him. There is no way in hell we are getting a top ten pick for him.

The Browns stink!

...Hell yes. The 12th pick in the draft, BB can select a defensive stud!

Keep in mind that the currently unlikely scenario by most people is actually still possible . due to the same representation of TB and JG.

Convincing Garoppolo to bide his time waiting for Brady to retire would be a major coup by the Patriots. His representatives, Yee & Dubin Sports, already have an excellent rapport with the Patriots because of their representation of Brady. Garoppolo should have a good sense of Brady's plans because of their shared representation.

Here a nice comprehensive article on the topic:
Agent's Take: Will the Super Bowl be Jimmy Garoppolo's final game with the Patriots?

Jimmy would be an idiot to sign a below market deal with the Pats. Brady wants to play another five years.

I want one of CLE or SFs top picks so bad so we can grab a young stud defender.

Isn't trading a player to Cleveland a punishment? What did Jimmy do to deserve that?

Thank you! Finally, the voice of reason. He's played a game and a half and has one year left on his contract. So even if a team traded for him and waited on the extension they would be faced with a similar situation the Broncos found themselves in with Osweiler. Brock looked pretty good for one year too. It's a lose/lose situation for the team that traded for him. There is no way in hell we are getting a top ten pick for him.

While I agree that Jimmy's sample size is small it is still ridiculous to compare him to Osweiler. JG showed much more mature QB play in those 1.5 games than Osweiler ever did in the Kubiak offense. Now whether he can consistently play like that is a different question that can only be answered after he has at least a full season as a starter.

But on fundamentals alone he played better than many other starters in this league in those 1.5 games.

If we get SF's pick I use it to get 4 more top 45 players this draft. It is so loaded.

It's kinda funny how some here think we would actually use the top 10 draft pick. What a terrible idea that would be instead of snowballing it into another 3-4 top 50 picks..

I don't think the Browns giving up the #12 pick for Jimmy G, fair for both sides.

f the 12th pick, i want a top 3. snag jonathan allen or myles garrett.

id probably take a top-3 1st and a high-round 3rd. its a buyers market for qb's and if we are going to flip him, on the off chance that he's a sb caliber quarterback we need a haul and a half. i dont want to look back on this in a decade and feel like we got fleeced, we need pieces that'll make the team competitive even w/o brady in 2-3 years.

Just to re-iterate.

Which teams are in the bidding war now? Browns, 49ers, Bears, Texans and Cardinals correct?

Don't see us trading to jets/woody*not with our history of bad blood especially in our division, but with that said, this isn't like Bledsoe being traded to Bills.

I kinda doubt a couple 2's will do it with that many teams in the market. I think that's wishful thinking on their part, or an attempt to move the market by leaking that. Wait till the real auction starts, or the best quarterback available comes off the board with a huge reach at the first pick.

I don't think that's true. Dominik made the point the other day. JJ watt was by far the best (non qb) player in the league, and they couldn't do better than 9-7. Tennessee, with a pretty avg team adds mariota, and they go 9-7.

You have to keep taking swings at qb until you get it right. Doesn't matter how many other great pieces you have, you need a QB to make it go.

And I agree, but my first swing would be for a guy like Taylor or Glennon.

We are NOT getting Chicago's first. Let's not even think we can unless WE give up another player and our first (I don't think I'd do that though). But we can certainly get Cleveland's first (12th overall).

As I've said before, the problem is that they see the trade as having to be Jimmy on one side for picks on the other. I could see a deal like CHI 1 + 3 for Garoppolo and NE 1.

Its possible. It will be interestin, when the trade happens, to see what Jimmy's actual value was as opposed to what we perceive. :)

My hope is he isnt traded.
Why trade Aaron Rodgers or Steve Young.
We are not finding another Brady in the next 100 years.
Why trade the next best thing away

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
Back