PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Browns and 1st rounder for Garappollo (Maybe Yes or No or Who Knows)EDIT

I think people need to realize this wasn't just a trade for the 2nd rounder - this was a trade for (what was at the time) a very high 2nd rounder AND the ability to obtain a backup quarterback that is good and already knows their system. That has a TON of worth. In my opinion, I don't think Bill would have traded for even a high 1st at that point in the season if it meant that he would basically have no backup QB - he'd be signing some veteran with no knowledge of the system at all. That's crappy and not a position Bill would ever want to put himself in.

Again, in my opinion - if SF wasn't willing to deal I think Bill would've just kept Jimmy through the rest of the season and let him walk in FA for the third round comp pick, rather than risk the entire season on Brady staying healthy the rest of the year with basically no depth at QB.
Let's use the draft value chart:

The 4th overall pick is worth 1,800 "points".
The 34th overall pick (2nd pick in the second round) is worth 560 points. Gonna assume SF had the 2nd-worse record to optimize the pick value.

That's a net difference of 1,240 points. That's about the value of the 11th overall pick in the draft. In other words, the 4th overall pick has the value roughly equal to the 11th overall pick + the 34th overall pick.

Acquiring Hoyer was not worth anything remotely close to the 11th overall pick in the draft. At best, Hoyer had the value of a late-round draft pick.

Personally, I think this story is completely made up and there isn't any truth to it. If it is true though, Belichick made an enormous mistake. Hoyer is a fringe benefit at best, especially considering he hasn't been with the team since 2011.

I have a hard time believing Belichick passed on a higher draft pick because of his feelings for a player.

He passed on CLE for the following reasons.
  1. Pain to do business with
  2. In AFC
  3. Trade deadline and CLE are a bunch of **** ups
  4. SF outside of AFC
  5. Josh=CLE 2018

Makes no sense with this upcoming draft loaded with franchise QBs. Jimmy would have been a 4 year old player.

For Cleveland, draft a young stud QB, bring in a Vet QB like Alex Smith. Win a few games while the rookie QB learns the ropes. Use the #4 pick on a stud RB or WR which Cleveland needs.

I'm not actually I am just bored... pick 4.. 40.. what is the difference.. Brady was 199.. Montana was in thIrd Round.. Ryan Leaf was 2...
I can never tell with you.

LOL

Anyone bringing Hoyer into this discussion as a positive is a total honk and isn't worth talking to.

I'm glad Tommy isn't having a temper tantrum anymore. It was worth selling the future and getting jack **** in return.

I read 50 reports in the past few days saying Belichick is going to be the Giants HC next year.... so forgive me if I take this with a grain of salt.

I’m not necessarily agreeing with the report. I just reported it as an FYI.

There was a forum back then?
Brady playing when Drew was healthy was brutal here ... the worst ever.
Lawyer Milloy trade to Bills followed by 31-0 loss probably #2 worst ever meltdown.

Anyone bringing Hoyer into this discussion as a positive is a total honk and isn't worth talking to.

I'm glad Tommy isn't having a temper tantrum anymore. It was worth selling the future and getting jack **** in return.
Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that he was part of the risk mitigation strategy for a backup is clueless.

No doubt about it, but he could milk the process with anyone right now, including the Browns, 49ers, Houston, whomever. He's a free agent, is he not?
They'll unquestionably tag him if they have to. They've said as much. So there won't be any free agency for him this year.

Lol, okay. So anyone who sees that a high 2nd plus a backup who knows the system in the middle of a Super Bowl-caliber season is a “honk”... because it’s much more sensible to go with a high 1st (which has no value THIS season) and no backup QB at all!

Please point me in the direction of “Tommy’s temper tantrum.” I also ask that you explain how Garoppolo was “the future” when NE wouldn’t have been able to afford him after this year anyway. I await your explanations for these opinions.

Let's use the draft value chart:

The 4th overall pick is worth 1,800 "points".
The 34th overall pick (2nd pick in the second round) is worth 560 points. Gonna assume SF had the 2nd-worse record to optimize the pick value.

That's a net difference of 1,240 points. That's about the value of the 11th overall pick in the draft. In other words, the 4th overall pick has the value roughly equal to the 11th overall pick + the 34th overall pick.

Acquiring Hoyer was not worth anything remotely close to the 11th overall pick in the draft. At best, Hoyer had the value of a late-round draft pick.

At the time the Pats made the trade, the Texans were 3–4 with two losses by 3 in high-scoring games against SEA and NE, and Deshaun Watson still had two functional ACLs.

They'll unquestionably tag him if they have to. They've said as much. So there won't be any free agency for him this year.
BB never said they would have tagged Jimmy.

Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that he was part of the risk mitigation strategy for a backup is clueless.

It's real hard finding a crappy backup QB. You know what really would have mitigated the risk? Keeping Jimmy.

It's real hard finding a crappy backup QB. You know what really would have mitigated the risk? Keeping Jimmy.
Find one that knows the system in mid year.

The ultimate risk is not being in the best position to win a SB.

Chose the best Qb that give you the best chance to win a SB in 2017 and 2018.

At the time the Pats made the trade, the Texans were 3–4 with two losses by 3 in high-scoring games against SEA and NE, and Deshaun Watson still had two functional ACLs.

That's why i am sure bb might have asked for more than that pick.

Before Watson got hurt there was no reason to believe that they would be anywhere near 4th overall.
They were a playoff team and would have played KC

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back