PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats did Jimmy G a 'favor' by trading him to 49ers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Apparently the Browns were quite interested in Jimmy G. But the Pats wanted to give him a better situation. So they took less compensation then they could have gotten from Cleveland.

Adam Schefter: Browns badly wanted Jimmy Garoppolo, but Patriots more comfortable with 49ers

If true this explains a lot. And you've got to respect BB for doing right by Jimmy, even if it wasn't the most optimal return. And now Jimmy G is looking great in San Francisco as their starting QB. Looks like they got a steal because they built an organization that was a better 'situation' for Jimmy to come into.

How do you guys feel, did BB make the right move by not trading him to a dumpster dive organization like the Browns? Should they have tried to drive up the price for Jimmy by starting a bidding war, or was it just the right thing to do. The compensation wasn't the highest but it was pretty decent -- a high 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft.

I won't go so far as to claim the story is untrue, but I have an incredibly hard time imagining that Belichick would prioritize Jimmy G's potential future success over the good of the team, unless he has plans to retire soon (which doesn't seem likely).

I think we've seen examples in the past where Belichick has made decisions that were difficult for him at an emotional/personal level for whatever reason(s), but nonetheless he made those decisions because they were in the best interest of the team.

Last edited:
Can be other factors
-had a backup we'd pick up
-not in same conference

I believe if it has to do w browns specificlly its way more because BB isn't fond of them than what situation jimmy would be in

First two way more probable than last two

I thought he didn't want to trade him within the AFC? I was under the impression that was the biggest consideration..

Yeah, Belichick doesn't do anything just to be nice. He did it to move Garappolo out of conference, and get a backup without impacting future compensatory picks.

*sigh*

Why MUST we constantly assume there's only one reason why things are done?

Some of you are dismissing these lesser considerations as if people are assuming that causes presented as ONE reason things happen are THE reason. they happen, even when that's not what was said at all.

Getting Jimmy G out of the AFC or onto a team where he had a chance to show his stuff, or grabbing Hoyer in return, or spiting an organization you don't like (Browns) aren't good reasons to make a trade you weren't going to make, but if you're choosing between multiple similar deals, they'll do alright as tiebreakers.

In all probability the offers we got from CLE and SF were probably fundamentally similar and BB was looking at lesser factors to help him make up his mind and found some good lesser reasons to favor SF over CLE. It's really not complicated.

Can be other factors
-had a backup we'd pick up
-not in same conference
Agreed. These factors might've made it worth slightly less compensation, especially getting the ready-made backup in Hoyer.

Browns are just trying to explain that it is not the teams fault the are the way they are. They screwed to pouch and now don't want to get blamed for yet another failure to add to all their other failures.

I agree the conference was a big factor. I’m sure the Patriots wish Manning had chosen an NFC team in 2012. Why trade him to a potential competitor when he can alone be the difference in a W or L.

I think players will see that and keep a mental note of it. there is a lot of shady talk about how the patriots don't pay players(they do actually) and the patriots only do what's best for the team(also true) But the patriots also do their very best to get you to stay(for less if possible) and if not they will try and send you some place decent unless you're a ****tard(jamie collins)

Bill has made some mistakes, but I can't think of a single time he has done something that he didn't feel was in the best interests of the team, no matter how difficult it was. I can't see him being able to get a better haul from Cleveland and sending Jimmy to SF as a favor. Jimmy certainly didn't do us any favors by signing an extension. It's a business on both sides.

"Idle minds are the devil's workshop."
Yes, I'm talking to you, Adam Schefter. Why not try the Times Crossword Puzzle?

I guess my " problem" with trading him in November is this: Penfing Brady went out, who gives you a better chance of getting to a SB: Hoyrr or Jimmy? Unless BB figured they were screwd either way if TB went out.

151rwi.jpg

Yeah I have to agree with the trade being made because Belichick misplayed his hand and needed to get Hoyer in the fold. He wasted a golden opportunity to trade Jimmy prior to the draft to the Browns by saying they wouldn't trade him for four #1s which effectively cut off all talks. I think it's obvious why he didn't want to talk about it- he screwed up, lost leverage and needed to deal with the Niners. BB wouldn't trade Jimmy for four #1s but he ended up doing it for a high 2nd and the release of Hoyer because he traded Brissett too. I wouldn't want to talk about that if I did it.

BB would trade his kids to Cleveland for a 2nd.

No way this is true

I think players will see that and keep a mental note of it. there is a lot of shady talk about how the patriots don't pay players(they do actually) and the patriots only do what's best for the team(also true) But the patriots also do their very best to get you to stay(for less if possible) and if not they will try and send you some place decent unless you're a ****tard(jamie collins)

If we think about the major trades this team has made in which they shipped players out because there was a $ issue ( Deion, Sey, Moss, Chandler, Jamie and Jimmy) with the exception of Randy, each player got their money with their new team regardless of the caliber of the team.

My point: BB doesn't care about the quality of the team but target trading partners who have a need.

This whole, "BB did Jimmy a favor" is rubbish. For a number of reasons it just worked out that way. Maybe BB wanted to send him to the NFC. Maybe BB saw CLE imploding and didn't like what CLE was saying (maybe Haslem got involved and was a prick). I'm sure lots of factors other than BB trying to be a nice guy played into Jimmy going to SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back