PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-watch Thread NE @ TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, if it's M2M cover 1 it is Butler's fault for being too far off. We are in agreement on that one.

I only read it as a play action bite because I thought it might be Cover 3 based on how Butler and Gilmore are back pedaling. I talked about plays in previous weeks where the entire defense is dropping into cover 3 while Van Noy was bit on the play action. I thought it might have happened again.

Now it's entirely possible that the call was play aggressive to get the stop but back off of Jackson because he is the deep threat and take your chances that they won't throw a quick slant to him also thinking that still had them inside the 20 because who would expect butler to be THAT far off and not come up and play the run after catch.

I sure hope this interpretation was not th game plan I would want us respect the possibility for Winston and Jackson to adjust the route to the coverage. If a DB is that far off with no help, you should think they might throw a quick route.

I think we are largely in agreement on this one @AndyJohnson. I just think Butler believed he had inside help. You think Butler is the one at fault. I think you are probably right, but remain agnostic about it.

Last edited:
As I said, if it's M2M cover 1 it is Butler's fault for being too far off. We are in agreement on that one.

I only read it as a play action bite because I thought it might be Cover 3 based on how Butler and Gilmore are back pedaling. I talked about plays in previous weeks where the entire defense is dropping into cover 3 while Van Noy was bit on the play action. I thought it might have happened again.

I sure hope this interpretation is not what I was planned. I would want us respect the possibility for Winston and Jackson to adjust the route to the coverage. If a DB is that far off with no help, you should think they might throw a quick route.

I think we are largely in agreement on this one @AndyJohnson. I just think Butler believed he had inside help. You think Butler is the one at fault. I think you are probably right, but remain agnostic about it.
I think that we sometimes ignore that a call sometimes gives something away that you don't think they will take.
Its great to think you are taking everything away but rarely do you get that execution.

Again if van noy is doing anything other than spying he should be cut tomorrow because if he was biting on play action he didn't even move in the right direction and was lazy. If he was blitzing his feet were in cement and if he had coverage responsibilities he goes the wrong way.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the plays I'm looking for:

1. Q1, 10:09
2. Q2, 11:31
3. Q2, 10:49

The 335 should be scrapped altogether. The team has shown zero consistent ability to stop the run from that formation.

Not sure if the 3rd play was what you were looking for. It's listed on gamepass @ 10:49.

So Bedard had an interesting take of how the Pats tweaked the Defense.

Bedard: How Matt Patricia tweaked the Patriots defense so players could be themselves

Basically he says that because of the limitations of the LB crew in pass coverage they brought down McCourty to cover the RB out of the backfield.

The problem with man to man is that it puts pass coverage responsibilities on the LB crew.

Great article btw.

Thanks for sharing.

McCourty playing “star“ was one thing I was not glad to see on Thursday. He played great and might even be best fit on the team for the position but that takes him away from the crucial FS spot where with his amazing range and tackling impacts the whole D field. Jackson's big gain discussed here at length and the other almost TD play he stopped from behind would not happen with him at his regular position. Also Butler could cover more aggressively with D-Mac back like he did last yr. Its one thing playing CB knowing you have DMC back . quite another if only Harmon sits behind.

While McCourty's great play was one of the main reasons line backer unit looked better Id really like they find another reliable solution for RB/TE coverage from LB position. Most of the board pleaded for one faster coverage LB and for the second year in a row this remains liability #1 that undermines the whole backfield.

Hopefully this was just emergency solution on a short week after D breakdown and they give a better chance to win this job to M.Flowers or Langi who have the speed and coverage ability. It makes no sense to have Harris active who can't complement but only substitute High and KVN (and then sits the whole game) over Langi who at least plays ST..

“Forcing“ Langi on the line the whole TC instead of giving him a chance to earn the “star“ or WLB job they had no real solution for seems a mistake of the summer

Not sure if the 3rd play was what you were looking for. It's listed on gamepass @ 10:49.

Yeah the third one wasn't what I was looking for, but the first two confirmed what I saw in the game. They ran right at Guy. Didn't know whether not not he was freelancing, though. It looked like he was just getting moved.

Thanks for sharing.

McCourty playing “star“ was one thing I was not glad to see on Thursday. He played great and might even be best fit on the team for the position but that takes him away from the crucial FS spot where with his amazing range and tackling impacts the whole D field. Jackson's big gain discussed here at length and the other almost TD play he stopped from behind would not happen with him at his regular position. Also Butler could cover more aggressively with D-Mac back like he did last yr. Its one thing playing CB knowing you have DMC back . quite another if only Harmon sits behind.

While McCourty's great play was one of the main reasons line backer unit looked better Id really like they find another reliable solution for RB/TE coverage from LB position. Most of the board pleaded for one faster coverage LB and for the second year in a row this remains liability #1 that undermines the whole backfield.

Hopefully this was just emergency solution on a short week after D breakdown and they give a better chance to win this job to M.Flowers or Langi who have the speed and coverage ability. It makes no sense to have Harris active who can't complement but only substitute High and KVN (and then sits the whole game) over Langi who at least plays ST..

“Forcing“ Langi on the line the whole TC instead of giving him a chance to earn the “star“ or WLB job they had no real solution for seems a mistake of the summer

He mentions another way they kept the RB in the backfield which was crowding the LOS with the front 7 forcing the RB to stay back to pass protect or to hesitate to see if anyone was blitzing. Another nice observation.

But yes having a LB with speed on the field would help.

Another thing I noticed and I think someone has already mentioned it but Hightower did look really good in this game.

To be fair I dont remember the last time when a competent receiver RB out of the backfield was not a problem for our defense. Even with the hyperathletic Collins we had regular issues with RBs or TEs. It is just one of those mismatches that is favored to the offense unless your RB has bad hands.

Another thing I noticed and I think someone has already mentioned it but Hightower did look really good in this game.

Many dont like him being rotated around the defense but I actually do. They just need to fine tune the allocation a bit and give him a couple more snaps in the middle.

I think he (and the defense) is at his best when he is over the middle, wearing the green dot. Van Noy had the dot for the first 4 games and IMO, that was a disaster.

I think he (and the defense) is at his best when he is over the middle, wearing the green dot. Van Noy had the dot for the first 4 games and IMO, that was a disaster.

To be fair to Van Noy he didn't have a Hightower type on the field. :)

To be fair I dont remember the last time when a competent receiver RB out of the backfield was not a problem for our defense. Even with the hyperathletic Collins we had regular issues with RBs or TEs. It is just one of those mismatches that is favored to the offense unless your RB has bad hands.

That's a good point.

Lynch out of the backfield during SB 49 comes to mind.

Someone will post the video soon I expect. That said, it wasn't an intentional grounding and a safety only because the refs said so. Per the actual rule itself, it should have been:
Officials (and broadcasters) missed obvious intentional grounding call

Ball was thrown in the direction of Brate, but it also needed to land "in his vicinity" too. He was on the sidelines at the 6 yard line. Ball landed by the cheerleaders past the 20 yard line.
Florio has corrected this take: More on the non-call for grounding from Thursday

White going out of bounds on second down was an example of poor situational awareness. Part of the reason we ran to draw play on 1st down was to get keep the clock running or force TB to use their last time out. If White stays in bounds and the clock keeps running, Brady is able to throw on 3rd down with a bit more freedom. Given that the clock was stopped, a Brady incompletion gives TB way more time to answer with a FG.

Yeah I thought the same thing when it happened. WTF was White doing letting himself be tackled OOB by turning towards the sideline instead of towards the field? Had he done so, that would've given Tampa about 15 seconds, and they then would've likely just taken a knee.

That whole GTG series was was crap, especially the first-down play. That had a 0.0 chance of going anywhere at all. I would've had both Gillislee & White in the backfield, fake-tossed to White, then tossed to Gillislee in the other direction, giving Gillislee momentum to one-cut a gap.

So many great comments in here! Really fun thread to read. Top notch. :)

I've been largely scouting coverage linebackers this year for the draft, and the video and analysis here only reinforces that we could really use some speed / savvy at that position to help with routes out of the backfield. My early money is on someone like Skai Moore, who has double-digit career interceptions as a linebacker. He's on the lighter side (6'2 #220), but in a nickel or dime package, he could shore up an area of weakness.

So many great comments in here! Really fun thread to read. Top notch. :)

I've been largely scouting coverage linebackers this year for the draft, and the video and analysis here only reinforces that we could really use some speed / savvy at that position to help with routes out of the backfield. My early money is on someone like Skai Moore, who has double-digit career interceptions as a linebacker. He's on the lighter side (6'2 #220), but in a nickel or dime package, he could shore up an area of weakness.

Fortunately this draft seems full of potential hybrid options, plenty of speed.
Unfortunately BB drafting one of the top options there is quite another matter..

He does love his safeties though so Im looking also there for this job. Derwin James would be perfect and Id guess BB wouldn't mind trading up for him . but he'll be long gone before a realistic chance. Another guy who could be available and seems to have the capacity is Ronnie Harrison..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes