PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-watch Thread NE @ TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately this draft seems full of potential hybrid options, plenty of speed.
Unfortunately BB drafting one of the top options there is quite another matter..

He does love his safeties though so Im looking also there for this job. Derwin James would be perfect and Id guess BB wouldn't mind trading up for him . but he'll be long gone before a realistic chance. Another guy who could be available and seems to have the capacity is Ronnie Harrison..

Is it wrong that I hope Jordan Richards is cut next year and we draft Ronnie Harrison, just so that we can give 37 to a Harrison again? Ronnie, Rodney -- it all sounds the same. :p

Wasn't sure where to post this but it relates to O line technique and responsibilities.

Offensive Line Principles and Concepts – Football Toolbox

Offensive Line Principles and Concepts Part 2 – Football Toolbox

I'm going attempt to find some video examples of these O line concepts from the TB game and put them together.

One that I'm interested in and one that was mentioned in Chatham's podcast was the combo block: (From the article)

1.POSTMAN (Inside Blocker) – You are responsible for stopping penetration and for preventing the defender from “splitting” the initial double team. Step with the near foot using a flat lateral step to insure all the good elements of a base block. Aiming point for both hand and foot placement is the inside number of the defender.

2.DRIVE MAN (Outside Blocker) – Power step with the inside foot by taking a flat lateral step to the inside with your aiming point being the playside number. The aiming point for hand placement is the play side number. If the defenders playside number starts to disappear inside, punch and push the defender inside and look for the second level with patience, so to allow the second level to come to you (don’t open any doors).

Last edited:
Ok. This is going to be very scrappy post. I'll post my uneducated thoughts with the hopes we get something out of it.

Three offensive passing plays.

1. The Sack.

This is a zone blocking scheme. It's a creative play that fakes to White and gets Hogan open across the middle.

- I'm not sure if Andrews took the wrong angle or if Mason releases to early. It's tough to tell. If Andrews takes a deeper angle he opens up a rushing lane to his inside. I think Mason needed to at least chip the DT to throw him off his lane.

upload_2017-10-13_11-42-8.png

Without assistance from Mason Andrews loses leverage and ends up chasing the DT.
upload_2017-10-13_13-4-26.png

2. The Incompletion:

- Solder seems concerned with the DE's ability to get around him on the outside. At the snap he moves to his left and the DE takes a sharp inside cut. Solder ends up chasing. Andrews is left trying to slow down two DL's. Brady ends up rushing his throw and misses Hogan over the middle.

Curious if Solder was lined up too wide. Or if he lines up wide to prevent the outside move don't take your first step to the outside. Take your first step backwards to give yourself a better blocking angle. (I really have no clue)

Notice Solder's first step is towards the outside.
upload_2017-10-13_12-11-4.png

Which left him weak to the inside move.
upload_2017-10-13_12-12-18.png

Which put Andrews in a tough clean up or a 2 against 1 position.
upload_2017-10-13_12-13-7.png

3. The Completion:

- This has an example of combo blocking. (I think)

Andrews and Thuney double the NT. Thuney is the primary blocker and Andrews looks to take a jab at the NT's left shoulder. But Andrews then moves to the right to assist Cannon or Mason. Unfortunately that's where the breakdown happens. Mason isn't able to stay in front of his assignment and Andrews has the wrong angle to help out.

My opinion is that if Mason is too slow to handle the outside move Andrews needs to move at a deeper angle.

Notice White runs a route that allows him to check the DE if necessary. He didn't this time because Solder had control.

Where I marked the black X is where I think Andrews needed to be. But he takes a shallow angle which leaves him unable to help Mason. Mason has already lost leverage and is playing catch up. Cannon is still in front of his man and ends up directing behind the pocket.
upload_2017-10-13_12-54-12.png

Brady gets the throw off in time but still absorbs another hit.
upload_2017-10-13_12-57-51.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-13_11-45-7.png
    upload_2017-10-13_11-45-7.png
    583.8 KB · Views: 1
Great breakdown.

1. The Sack - yeah, either Mason or Andrews or both screwed-up. I can't believe that such brain farts are still happening after all the games they've played together.
BTW, Hogan looks fairly well-covered on the play. Maybe Brady was looking for Cooks (or is it Dorsett?) farther downfield.

2. The Incompletion - more incompetence from Solder, who keeps losing future money every game he plays.

3. The Completion - Spot-on about Andrews not taking the proper angle in protection. I don't know whether to be discouraged that the OL continues to be shyte, or actually encouraged that some of these problems appear to be correctable.

I just saw Brett Kollmann's new video on Green Bay's oline new-school pass blocking technique. I thought it might be relevant to our discussion on NE pass blocking. Sorry if it is too OT.

I just saw Brett Kollmann's new video on Green Bay's oline new-school pass blocking technique. I thought it might be relevant to our discussion on NE pass blocking. Sorry if it is too OT.

That's a must listen podcast. Great find.

great XL BB breakdown . ST extravaganza . Chatham gets a mention..
Bademosi continues his great ST playmaking. Great find.

I missed this the first time around but saw it when the Jets Breakdown had this one autoplay after it. This is an all timer with the breakdown of the Troy Brown punt return TD from the 2002 AFCC. What a butt kicking of the Pats outside guys vs. the Steelers gunners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe