PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-watch Thread NE @ NYJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE-VT

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I am kicking off the Re-watch thread, our weekly place for film based discussion and play breakdowns. Below are a couple of sources of tape until the all 22's come out:

You might be able to find a highlight of a particular play on the r/nfl highlight page:

Picture/GIF/Video highlights thread (Week 6, Sunday) • r/nfl

If you are feeling ambitious, take one of the clips from r/nfl put it into gyfcat and post it with relevant commentary and/or film breakdowns. If you have trouble getting this to work feel free to message me. Otherwise, please start discussions around other's clips or referencing particular plays. Someone else might be able to find the tape of the play for you.

It was an interesting game. We really missed Ninko who was good at holding the edge and not getting knocked off. There was the 3rd and 6 play in the 1st where Marsh gets knocked down and if he holds that edge McCown has nowhere to go. The big thing for me was the lack of pressure on McCown.

Van Noy had a strong gamevwhich was nice to see

Interested in analysis of the next to last 4th & long (17?) play on the Jets last drive. How was the target that wide open?

You mean the 4th and 12. Butler was on Anderson and a corner blitz was called with Butler (who was on the line with Robbie Anderson), DM was then going to cover him. RA ran a 20 yard in with ASJ running a 12 yard curl with Richards covering him. Didn't love the play call

Thanks for starting the thread this week @NE-VT. Am unfortunately preoccupied with other things this week so wont be able to contribute much in terms of analysis. But am looking forward to our weekly deep dive..

On the first 4th down play the Jets converted on the final drive, the Pats rushed 3. This on the heels of a sack with a 4 man rush.

On the final 4th down play, the Pats rushed 4, forced the QB out of the pocket and to throw on the run.

Regards,
Chris

Snap counts for some quick overview
(from Patspulpit: Snap Count Report: Patriots at Jets)

1. Nice to see my wish of Flower's snap counts to drop from 100% to 80% territory was granted so quickly..
2. Wise at 78% was a wish come true for many people here as well . so you see posting here matters!
3. I like how the more balanced rotation of front seven units is coming along . and if Branch can fully join the party it will get even better.
4. Allen is dangerously approaching the zero territory so this will be something to monitor with different game plans in next games
5. Richards got the nod again in the hybrid box position (I guess - have to check on the film) “in stead“ od M.Flowers so this is another interesting to monitor before bye week shake up;)

And of course Bademosi stepping in for Gilmore so seamlessly was the story of the day. I wonder if last minute change had something to do with Jets going mostly after Butler like they planned w Gilmore in mind..

upload_2017-10-16_19-23-29.png
upload_2017-10-16_19-24-13.png

Last edited:
Malcom Brown probably had his best game. We need him to play like that especially stuffing the run.

What aspects did you like about Brown's game? Was it more on pass rush or run defense? Can you think of particular plays?

For the All-22ers*...

Did the Pats put Butler on an island most of the game and focus McCourty/Harmon help on the inexperienced corners? Looked that way upon initial view, but not sure.

Regards,
Chris

* I have GameRewind and All-22 access, but never the time to actually watch it.

I'll bite. Brown didn't get moved off his spot as much this game, which seemed to largely be a factor of more proactive play. He's at his best when he pushes upfield against the run and can extend his arms. His technique seems to suffer when he lets the play come to him, which has resulted in him getting washed out more than anticipated in recent weeks. A couple good plays from yesterday:

Good stack and shed. He shows strength, composure, and control to shut down the gap on either side.

Nice power here. Thankfully he chose the right gap to knife into; otherwise, he would have left an open lane if KVN hadn't been there to prevent the cutback.

Really nice job avoiding the cut block and recovering his balance to get back into his gap responsibility. He's a big man, and that movement takes some agility:

Last edited:
What do you know.. the moment Cannon is taken off injury list he breaks top 5. Maybe this could turn into fun season after all..;)

History shows that Cannon is one of those guys who's got to be just about 100% to be effective. His tipping point seems to be much more of a cliff than a steep slope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back