PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-watch Thread NE @ TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE-VT

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
So I thought I would kick off the rewatch thread, our weekly thread centered on film based discussion and tape breakdowns. Below are a couple of sources of tape until the all 22's come out.

You might be able to find a clip of play you are looking for on r/nfls highlight page.

Picture/GIF/Video highlights thread (Week 5, TNF) • r/nfl

If you are feeling ambitious, take one of the clips from r/nfl put it into gyfcat and post it with relevant commentary and/or film breakdowns. If you have trouble getting this to work feel free to message me. Otherwise, feel free to start discussions around other's clips.

Last edited:

I have no idea why Buttler's coverage is so soft on a 3 & 2. It also looks like Cover 3 for the most part, but there are no underneath zones on Butler's side.

After looking at it more, I think this might have been a RPO (run pass option) designed to beat cover 3. If the linebackers respond to the RB handoff threat, Winston throws slant. Yet it could have been a run also depending on the post snap LB action. Still, Butler starting closer to the LOS would have helped.

I also agree with Romo's analysis: Harmon takes a bad angle.

Last edited:
Damn McCourty is fast, he closed right in on Jackson.

Not the re-watch contribution really (from my part) but boy did he take this game on his shoulders (and feet, I agree). He was called out for his leadership and boy did he answer leading by example (picking up Chung along the way)..

Great to see Hightower taking the green dot as well . and playing all around the D like I begged;)

Ok, enough of “hot takes“ from me - back to film..

Last edited:

This play was reminiscent of what Watson was did to us. However, this time it took longer for their QB to find a hole in our coverage. It would be fun to see the 22 to determine check out the downfield action.

First impression- we basically used the same game plan that we did against Carolina, and the same defense with the exception of having Gilmore shadow Evans and Butler on Jackson

I'm stunned that Tampa didn't run bunches on us.

Lewis with the longest carry of our season so far. Encouraging sign.

Maybe someone who understands our run blocking system better than I do might have some insight this one.

Last edited:
First impression- we basically used the same game plan that we did against Carolina, and the same defense with the exception of having Gilmore shadow Evans and Butler on Jackson

I'm stunned that Tampa didn't run bunches on us.

I was under the impression that we ran more zone this game compared to last. It is something I want to look for in the film.

I also can't recall bunches, can anyone else think of a play with one? It also might be a interesting to look for any plays with motion to look for potential improvement in coverage. TB's O did seem vanilla.

If my memory serves me this is the biggest coverage bust of the day

I still think that the biggest real coverage bust actually was:

1st and 10 at TB 32
(13:38 - 2nd) J.Winston pass short left to C.Brate to TB 48 for 16 yards (K.Van Noy, D.Harmon). PENALTY on TB-O.Howard, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at TB 48.

even if it went only for 16yd.

@Tony2046 if you have time once the All22 is up can you add this to your queue ?

Brate was completely open on this play. It might end up being nothing and only look bad because of the narrow angle of the broadcast cameras but I am not sure.

I also can't recall bunches, can anyone else think of a play with one? It also might be a interesting to look for any plays with motion to look for potential improvement in coverage. TB's O did seem vanilla.

Bucs definitely used at least one bunch formation on the drive that led to their late TD. Looks like an late desperate adjustment.

Anyone else think Amendola is looking his fastest since his Rams days 5 years ago?

He’s on a legit Edelman 16 game pace: 92 receptions 1,062 yards 4 TDs.

This is the best he’s looked as a Patriot. We really need him healthy as we probably score 40+ if he doesn’t leave the KC game.

Anyone else think Amendola is looking his fastest since his Rams days 5 years ago?

This is the best he’s looked as a Patriot. We really need him healthy as we probably score 40+ if he doesn’t leave the KC game.

The catch where he got called for PI was nice.

If only he could stay healthy he would be an amazing player :(

I have no idea why Buttler's coverage is so soft on a 3 & 2. It also looks like Cover 3 for the most part, but there are no underneath zones on Butler's side.

After looking at it more, I think this might have been a RPO (run pass option) designed to beat cover 3. If the linebackers respond to the RB handoff threat, Winston throws slant. Yet it could have been a run also depending on the post snap LB action. Still, Butler starting closer to the LOS would have helped.

I also agree with Romo's analysis: Harmon takes a bad angle.

That was Cover-3. Very questionable call there on third and two. If you're at least going to go that route, try to disguise it a little better. Winston knew pre-snap where he wanted to go with that and the result was Jackson sprinting down the field.

For anyone that has the All-22, could you focus on Guy on the run downs he was in on? There were some pretty nice holes that formed when he was in from what I saw. I want to know if he was simply moved off the ball or if anyone could tell if he was disobeying his gap responsibilities and freelancing a bit.

lets add snap counts for quick overview.
No Harris and High back to some ILB duties certainly two takeaways.
Hogan didn't leave the field
Allen clearly has a role (maybe Ill focus on him later on)
Just 58 TE total snaps.
__
Flowers takes a two-snap breather. Not enough but its a start. Still would love to see his snap count coming down to some 80%. Branch not contributing much on interior this yr adds burden on Trey..
Marsh's workload increasing (+ST - remember 1 great stop)
Brown's workload down as requested (despite the only true DT left) is a great sign. He did look more fresh, livelier..
Also Guy's. Glad to see it, hopefully settles around 50-60% Branch or no Branch. But they have to bring in one more body for rotation!

upload_2017-10-6_13-46-24.png
upload_2017-10-6_13-47-3.png

EDIT:

Last edited:

Absolutely. Hogan, too. He's absorbed all of the routes that Edelman typically ran along with his own.

Nice offensive distribution again (except for no TE plays):

Gillislee .. 12 for 52 yds (52y-4.3avg)
White ....... 9 for 60 yds (2run + 7rec (7/9) - 3y+57y)
Lewis ....... 9 for 63 yds (7run + 2rec (2/2) - 53y/7.6avg+10y)
Dola ......... 8 for 77 yds (8/8)
Hogan ...... 8 for 74 yds (8/11)
Cooks ....... 5 for 85 yds (5/8)

Amendola #1 WR (combined - snaps, targets, production, completion, 3rd down)

My guess is Gronk being game time decision & late injury list addition on a short week is key to low TE play (and not necessarily reflection on trust in Allen, Hollister).

Acc. to Tom they went into the game with two game plans: one with and one w/o Gronk. They probably didn't have prepared a special TE plan w no Gronk since he was added to inj less than 24 hours before kickoff. And I guess no one expects the Gronk TE plan fits Allen and Hollister..
___

EDIT:

Last edited:
I hope someone has the inspiration for some OL analysis.

Solder's struggles are really painful to watch. Is this really the best solution? Can't they trust somebody at least for the time Solder gets his act together..?

Extending Mason on the other hand won't come cheap..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes