PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-watch Thread NE @ TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Van noy is spying the QB

It could be, but thought he would move laterally not in. Someone in the box screwed up because we left the middle so wide open. Maybe a female reporter will ask BB about this (just kidding to the PC police on the boards here)

It could be, but thought he would move laterally not in. Someone in the box screwed up because we left the middle so wide open. Maybe a female reporter will ask BB about this (just kidding to the PC police on the boards here)
I think butler screwed up and needed to be up on Jackson. It looked like man with Harmon over the top to me.

I think butler screwed up and needed to be up on Jackson. It looked like man with Harmon over the top to me.

maybe, but we had one safety back and the way our defense has been playing maybe we saved a touchdown by doing that :)

maybe, but we had one safety back and the way our defense has been playing maybe we saved a touchdown by doing that :)
Huh?
Butler appears to have Harmon over the top and Jackson runs a slant catching the ball 5 yard upfield. Not sure how butler actually defending him causes a TD.

Huh?
Butler appears to have Harmon over the top and Jackson runs a slant catching the ball 5 yard upfield. Not sure how butler actually defending him causes a TD.

just making a joke based on the way our secondary played against the Panthers

Anyone else think Amendola is looking his fastest since his Rams days 5 years ago?

He’s on a legit Edelman 16 game pace: 92 receptions 1,062 yards 4 TDs.

This is the best he’s looked as a Patriot. We really need him healthy as we probably score 40+ if he doesn’t leave the KC game.

I can't believe we re-signed Amendola for $1m. WOW. Lucky us.

And how many people wanted him cut at start of offseason saying he's hurt/unavailable often and there's no room for him after Cooks, Edelman, Mitchell, Hogan and maybe Carr.

Damn McCourty is fast, he closed right in on Jackson.
Must say I was a little surprised. I thought Jackson was going to out run everybody straight to the end zone when he had space. Great hustle by McCourty.

Spared Harmon the blame of giving up a huge TD due to a poor angle.

Last edited:
1. how in the hell is Devin so much faster than both Jackson and the rest of our DBs? only butler seemed to be able to keep up, Duron, no, not even Stephon...like wth???

2. I think butler def screwed up, or he thought Van Noy would play the flat a little bit, so a slant route would be defended by him, but Van Noy moved up a few too many steps, if he were back another 2/3 feet he would have been in a great spot to disrupt that pass

I disagree. We came out in a 43. We played a lot of 4 man front.
We played a lot of zone.
I saw an entirely different game plan.

Dont want to start a debate with you because I didnt pay too much attention to the exact coverages during the live showing of the game but Chatham seems to disagree with it being a different game plan:

Direct your response at him not me please Andy. :D

Dont want to start a debate with you because I didnt pay too much attention to the exact coverages during the live showing of the game but Chatham seems to disagree with it being a different game plan:

Direct your response at him not me please Andy. :D

Just saying what I saw

Anyone else think Amendola is looking his fastest since his Rams days 5 years ago?

He’s on a legit Edelman 16 game pace: 92 receptions 1,062 yards 4 TDs.

This is the best he’s looked as a Patriot. We really need him healthy as we probably score 40+ if he doesn’t leave the KC game.

Lewis with the longest carry of our season so far. Encouraging sign.

Maybe someone who understands our run blocking system better than I do might have some insight this one.

This is an interesting topic. Thanks for bringing it up.

Differences between the zone and power running schemes

There are various blocking schemes an offensive line can use. The basic two are Zone and Man.

Man - is basically being assigned a defensive guy and blocking him according to the play design.

Zone - is basically the O line moving together in tandem.

What's interesting is that the Zone scheme typically uses faster lighter linemen than the man does. Hmmm.

The Pats use both schemes. I gather no team uses one scheme exclusively but may favor one or the other based on personnel.

Found a nice response with youtube examples in this reddit link. (Go Blount!)
Zone-Blocking vs Man-Blocking • r/Patriots

1. So this looks like a Zone blocking scheme.
2. Shaq Mason is a beast during this run and gets deep into the second level. He first Doubles up with Andrews on the DT (Another Zone blocking characteristic) and gets to the second level to pick up the Mike LB.
3. Cannon seems to be on the wrong side of his blocking assignment but it could also be by design to give Lewis an outside option. The DE seems to be unaware that where the run play is headed or maybe concerned with containing the edge rather than realizing the run is going to the inside. I'm not sure.
4. Devlin runs into the gap created by Andrews, Shaq, Cannon and picks up the Will LB. They ran to the weak side of the offensive line.
5. Dwayne Allen has a key block sealing off the backside and preventing the DE from getting into the backfield.
6. Lewis hits the lane and beats a DB at the top and breaks out for the big run.

upload_2017-10-6_15-51-50.png

Notice the Backside blocking by Allen and Solder.
upload_2017-10-6_17-7-25.png

Shaq carries the LB to the right and Lewis runs to the Shaq's left side. (FYI: Cannon looks like he's holding in this shot but he wasn't )
upload_2017-10-6_17-9-39.png

Lewis first gets touched by a DB at the 40 (5 Yards ) and puts his shoulder into the DB breaking free for another 26 yards.
BTW: Notice Cooks picking up an important block in the background.
upload_2017-10-6_17-12-57.png

upload_2017-10-6_17-18-5.png

Last edited:
I disagree. We came out in a 43. We played a lot of 4 man front.
We played a lot of zone.
I saw an entirely different game plan.

From what I saw there were a lot of similarities- Cover 1 robber with Harmon as the single high, Chung in the box and McCourty in Rat but also having MOF responsibility. Butler, Gilmore, and Chung all played quite a bit of man.

These are the plays I'm looking for:

1. Q1, 10:09
2. Q2, 11:31
3. Q2, 10:49

The 335 should be scrapped altogether. The team has shown zero consistent ability to stop the run from that formation.

I'll put that together when the all 22 is available.

Note: Every time I use broadcast footage in a youtube video I get tagged by the NFL for marketing rights. Not a big deal but I want to avoid that so that I don't lose the rights to make all 22 clips.

Reactions: PP2
I'll put that together when the all 22 is available.

Note: Every time I use broadcast footage in a youtube video I get tagged by the NFL for marketing rights. Not a big deal but I want to avoid that so that I don't lose the rights to make all 22 clips.

That marketing rights is beyond sheer idiocy- it's almost anti-marketing, but you are right to avoid it.. Matt Chatham/FBF got nailed just last week and they no longer post video which is a shame.

This is an interesting topic. Thanks for bringing it up.

Differences between the zone and power running schemes

There are various blocking schemes an offensive line can use. The basic two are Zone and Man.

Man - is basically being assigned a defensive guy and blocking him according to the play design.

Zone - is basically the O line moving together in tandem.

What's interesting is that the Zone scheme typically uses faster lighter linemen than the man does. Hmmm.

The Pats use both schemes. I gather no team uses one scheme exclusively but may favor one or the other based on personnel.

Found a nice response with youtube examples in this reddit link. (Go Blount!)
Zone-Blocking vs Man-Blocking • r/Patriots

1. So this looks like a Zone blocking scheme.
2. Shaq Mason is a beast during this run and gets deep into the second level. He first Doubles up with Andrews on the DT (Another Zone blocking characteristic) and gets to the second level to pick up the Mike LB.
3. Cannon seems to be on the wrong side of his blocking assignment but it could also be by design to give Lewis an outside option. The DE seems to be unaware that where the run play is headed or maybe concerned with containing the edge rather than realizing the run is going to the inside. I'm not sure.
4. Devlin runs into the gap created by Andrews, Shaq, Cannon and picks up the Will LB. They ran to the weak side of the offensive line.
5. Dwayne Allen has a key block sealing off the backside and preventing the DE from getting into the backfield.
6. Lewis hits the lane and beats a DB at the top and breaks out for the big run.

View attachment 18167

Notice the Backside blocking by Allen and Solder.
View attachment 18169

Shaq carries the LB to the right and Lewis runs to the Shaq's left side. (FYI: Cannon looks like he's holding in this shot but he wasn't )
View attachment 18170

Lewis first gets touched by a DB at the 40 (5 Yards ) and puts his shoulder into the DB breaking free for another 26 yards.
BTW: Notice Cooks picking up an important block in the background.
View attachment 18171

View attachment 18172

great one Tony! putting this back on re-watch track. thanks!
__

i can only freelance for now.. sharing this Lazar tweet bc it contains one crucial but underrated DB stat - YAC. I believe this is one of the most important features for BB&MP and pillar stone to contain D.

Here a great article on DB covers, and best CBs defending particular types of routes:
The NFL’s best cornerbacks versus each route type in 2016 | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

Gilmore is mentioned among two best in NFL on hitches&comebacks. One of the reasons apart from allowing 24% rating is only allowing 17 YAC all season on 14 targets w 16 yac one one play vs Antonio Brown!

That marketing rights is beyond sheer idiocy- it's almost anti-marketing, but you are right to avoid it.. Matt Chatham/FBF got nailed just last week and they no longer post video which is a shame.

Yeah I wish they would lighten up on it a bit and allow professionals to breakdown plays.

I doubt I fall into Chatham's category though because I make no profit from it. I've read all of their copyright rules and think I'm all set. I've also emailed them letting them know what I was doing. Tried to cover all bases.

With only allowing 21 points, this offense would easily win 12 games.

It should be noted that the defense from last year only allowed 21+ five time in nineteen games, or approx. 1/4 of the time. Can't count the SB due to the pick six thrown by Brady.

Lewis with the longest carry of our season so far. Encouraging sign.

Maybe someone who understands our run blocking system better than I do might have some insight this one.

Look at 99 on the Bucs. I'm ****e for football knowledge, but I know for dang sure he's got a regular speed, slow, then another gear, slower, that kicks in a couple of times, at least once when he flat out quits on the play. Then he speeds up to slow again thinking people won't be laughing in the film session but they're just going to laugh more.

I'm glad that's not our guys. This play.

Look at 99 on the Bucs. I'm ****e for football knowledge, but I know for dang sure he's got a regular speed, slow, then another gear, slower, that kicks in a couple of times, at least once when he flat out quits on the play. Then he speeds up to slow again thinking people won't be laughing in the film session but they're just going to laugh more.

I'm glad that's not our guys. This play.

I think you meant 92. If so then he was a peripheral victim of the Shag attack. Mason and Devlin blocked the linebackers hard towards the sideline which impeded 92 enough from chasing down the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe