PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Preview Thread NE @ NYJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE-VT

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Lets start a preview thread in a similar spirit as our post game film review threads. It might be a fun place to look at the upcoming team's tape, game summaries, scheme, statistical rankings, potential match-ups, etc. It might be nice to stay away from low effort posts like "TODD BOWLES MORE LIKE TOILET BOWLS". We might actually find some things that provide insight into what to watch for next Sunday.

Below are r/nfl highlights for some of the jets games this season.

Picture/GIF/Video highlights thread (Week 1, Sunday) • r/nfl

Picture/GIF/Video highlights thread (Week 2, Sunday) • r/nfl

Picture/GIF/Video highlights thread (Week 3, Sunday) • r/nfl

Picture/GIF/Video highlights thread (Week 4, Sunday) • r/nfl

If you see a play in particular worth discussing and you are feeling ambitious, take the clip from r/nfl put it into gyfcat and post it with some commentary and/or film breakdowns. If you have trouble getting this to work feel free to message me.

Last edited:
Their high pick safety (Adams, maybe?) looks good, especially for a rookie.

After watching some condensed Jets games they feel diametrical to how I see our team.

Pretty much devoid of talent except for a few spots but playing fundamentally sound football. Rely on the opponents to allow big plays to hang around.

Start fast, hang 10+ pts on them and the game is over by halftime. We can play similarly conservative on defense daring McCown to take complete multiple 70+ yard drives without major mistakes.

Last edited:
The Jets look disciplined to me. Unloading all those high-priced veterans (see: Revis, Darrelle) was the best move they could have made. If the Patriots don't play well, and the referees continue to help the opposition, it could be a grinder next week.

With that out of the way, the bottom line is that the Jets suck. Pure and simple.

and hopefully Pats are better prepared for this ones..

interesting watching this play. It brought me back to a time when multiple backs joined the QB in the backfield and misdirection in the backfield was commonplace.

The solution, of course, was to have your LB's watch the OL to get their keys. Backs lie, but guards never do. If you watch the RT and LG, they take you right to the play.

Personally, I'm happy to see this kind of ball handling coming back into the league. Coaches needed to do something to revive the running game and make it relevant again. So, they simply went back to a lot of single wing concepts from the 30's and 4o's. Little is "discovered" in football, but rather its "repackaged". ;)

Jets thoughts.

Their QB is so-so and overachieving at the moment. McCown is a guy who runs hot and cold but on the whole tends to fall back to mediocre pretty fast. Their WRs are average or below.

Their run game stats look good but it doesn't tell the whole story. They had 2 big runs this year and besides that it is only been okay. Don't give up an 50 yard run and their run game isn't that good.

Their OL in general leaves a lot to be desired. Particular after losing their best OL man.

On the whole the offense doesn't offer much. It will be a good chance for the Pats to keep the positive momentum going :p

Their D is weak in certain areas. They have allowed teams to run on them all year and they have had no answer. Their pass D is pretty decent though. Their Dline has taken a step back compared to years pass but they got better on the back end. If the OL has even a decent day though it can be exploited and I see this as a day to run a lot and use play action a lot anyway.

nice film review of some NYJ pressuring schemes by Schofield:
Jets Pressure Schemes - Locked On Patriots

A note that should've been added - Jetes faced just one good QB this yr (Carr) and they were blown out that game despite OAK in search mode as well.
__

What Jets do have is two great rookie safeties (my favourite two besides Hooker of 2017 draft class). Hopefully this will not be too painful to watch.;)
Pats were “reportedly“ in play for Maye . unfortunately Jets took him much higher than projected..

Meet Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye - Locked On Patriots

After watching some of the earlier games/plays, I have a feeling that this could be a big Dion Lewis game.

This is almost unreal.. Id guess #1 clean up priority for BB

nice film review of some NYJ pressuring schemes by Schofield:
Jets Pressure Schemes - Locked On Patriots

A note that should've been added - Jetes faced just one good QB this yr (Carr) and they were blown out that game despite OAK in search mode as well.
__

What Jets do have is two great rookie safeties (my favourite two besides Hooker of 2017 draft class). Hopefully this will not be too painful to watch.;)
Pats were “reportedly“ in play for Maye . unfortunately Jets took him much higher than projected..

Meet Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye - Locked On Patriots

Came to post those links. Listened today to his podcasts on the Jets. Good stuff..

What makes this so interesting to me is what Chatham said in the Panthers breakdown podcast about how Carolina kept coming back to slants against Butler because he just could not deal with them on a physical level and the Pats never gave him help below (because DMac was ordered closer to the box to help with ****son).

The entire section can be heard here: Week 5: Panthers Game Dissection, Bucs TNF Preview — The REAL THING Patriots Podcast — Overcast

Let me know if the way I bookmarked the podcast works for people to hear the entire section by Chatham. If it does then I will start using my bookmarks of his just flatout amazing breakdowns more often.

Last edited:
Jets special teams punting looks good. Lac Edwards has a strong leg. One thing I've seen twice is that when they are pinned deep in their end of the field he tends to out punt the coverage giving the PR a chance at a decent return. If the Pats can force them to punt from behind the 20 look for Dola having a chance for a big return.

Jets run defense looks weak as Bob noted above. I think Gillislee, Lewis and White can all have good games. This might be a way to give Brady a bit of a break from all the hits he's been taking. Would love to see some end arounds as well. For all the troubles the Pats Oline seems to have their run blocking has been their strength.

2TE and 3TE sets. When not running use the TE sets to give Brady a little extra protection. This would be a good game for Allen to produce in the passing game.

I do not want to see Brady bravely standing in the pocket waiting for 50 yard routes to develop. If the Jets are rushing 3 and dropping 8 run it down their throats. Hell if they are rushing 4 and dropping 7 run it down their throats.

Defense can continue to put Gilmore and Butler in man because the Jete don't have the big play receiver. As @BobDigital also noted above their run game isn't great. Take the two big runs of 75 and 69 yards out of the equation and they're averaging 3.3 ypc.

So control the game and wait for McCown to make his mistakes. Whether that's a drive ending incompletion or a TO he'll make mistakes.

Not worried.

No Forte last week and their running game wasn't just "not great": it was putrid. Also, you are in trouble when your main receiving threat is Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

That said, their defense looked coherent and the linebackers made plays.

After watching some condensed Jets games they feel to me like the mirror image of our team.

Pretty much devoid of talent except for a few spots but playing fundamentally sound football. Rely on the opponents to allow big plays to hang around.

Start fast, hang 10+ pts on them and the game is over by halftime. We can play similarly conservative on defense daring McCown to take complete multiple 70+ yard drives without major mistakes.
Did you misuse mirror image? Mirrror image would imply identical.

Did you misuse mirror image? Mirrror image would imply identical.

I would argue mirror image usually means diametrical as in the total opposite (ie. mirrored not the same, left is right; right is left). No ?

To express identical I would use carbon copy or something like that.

This is almost unreal.. Id guess #1 clean up priority for BB

The strangest thing about that stat is that the other four defenses on that list vary from good to average by DVOA: Chiefs are 11th, Panthers are 10th, Jaguars are 7th and Chargers are 16th. The Pats, meanwhile, are 32nd, and are as far from 31st and 31 is from 20th. We're a DVOA trainwreck.

As damning as that stat seems, YPC allowed on first down doesn't seem to correlate all that strongly with overall defensive effectiveness at this point in the season.

The strangest thing about that stat is that the other four defenses on that list vary from good to average by DVOA: Chiefs are 11th, Panthers are 10th, Jaguars are 7th and Chargers are 16th. The Pats, meanwhile, are 32nd, and are as far from 31st and 31 is from 20th. We're a DVOA trainwreck.

As damning as that stat seems, YPC allowed on first down doesn't seem to correlate all that strongly with overall defensive effectiveness at this point in the season.

I wonder if you would take away the big busted plays (and resulting touchdowns) on third down how much our DVOA would improve. Just to make clear I am not saying we should just ignore that those happen but I am just curious how effected the DVOA is by things that I consider easier fixable (eg. communicaton) than others (eg. DL run issues).

If we can get close to 16-20 (ie. average) on defense when removing the big plays then I wouldnt get too concerned with all those advanced metrics unless you dont believe the coaching staff can fix the communication issues.

Both of the Jets big runs of 75 and 69 yards against Jacksonville were on first down. That'll throw their numbers off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe