PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-watch Thread NE @ NYJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or are you thinking of a different play?

No It's that play, Kerley is open for the crosser, no? JJ will tackle him, but he's open. Question is if JJ would have tackled him short of the 1st down if McCown was able to get the ball to him on the crosser.

Maybe I need to be more clear. I mean if McCown doesn't get any pressure and throws it to Kerley on the crosser. I know if he threw it with that pressure in his face it would have been very risky.

I think that one was on Brady, and the terrible decision to throw into double coverage. I've come to the conclusion that we're not going to get many of those 50/50 type calls, so I wasn't as mad about the potential DPI as I was the choice to throw the ball to that receiver.
If there wasn't pi the ball hits dorsett between the numbers. Skeins is in a position where he is a non factor on the play unless he commits pi (other than making the tackle after the catch)

Or one of these two

First one is the one I was looking for, thank you. Looks like it was Kerse, not Kerley, my mistake.

Wish Lazar didn't cut off the presnap, but whaddaya say, another bunch play :rolleyes:. I don't agree with his assessment because that looks like the Sail concept they ran out of this bunch because all of them end up outside the numbers. We are in 42 big nickel, and Chung does not check on McCourty to take the vertical so he is stuck because if he sinks with Kearse, the flat gets left open. You can see him torn between staying on the flat or sinking with Kerse. Butler did not err here, IMO. The call was zone and he was in proper tech. The high safety always takes the vertical in a cover 3, if I'm not wrong?

Cover 3 zone vs. sail is a big fat F every single time, so I'm gonna point the finger more at the scheme call than individual failure (they knew we were in cover 3 and attacked it with the sail). I feel better after looking at this.

Last edited:

The problem is not the play call. Our left MLB (Cassius Marsh or KVN I believe) takes a terrible angle on Ftiz. Given that had help to his right from HT, he should maintain left contain. With more disciplined LB we should have been able to make the 3rd down stop, IMO.

Defensive holding is a thing on running plays. It often happens when a DT is trying to force 2 OL to block them as the OL tries to disengage for a next level block. Whether or not the flag should have been thrown is maybe debatable, but it is clear what they are calling IMO: Brown for holding OL #76 with his left arm.

Last edited:
when re-watching the games do you all see the same?

Personally, yes. I think this quote is right on:

Brady has not been as ridiculously accurate with the same consistency that has defined his game throughout his career."

In other words, he still makes many incredible throws. He just seems to have a higher rate of misses than he used to. I made up a competition of Brady's misfires from the CAR game. I have been tempted to do it for the other games as well. Part of the reason I have not is because it is a bit a bummer topic, and I don't want to be seen as implying Brady is not still executing at a high level.

If people do want these completions for the other weeks I will make them. (edit: In my original post in the CAR re-watch thread, I discussed each throw in more detail. I agree that some of these are borderline. Might be better to go to original post to discuss if a particular throw is in fact off target.)

I think it makes the Garoppolo offseason situation much more interesting. Will Belichick be willing/able to maintain his mantra of "a year too early, not a year too late" with the GOAT QB? Would fans revolt? What if a year too early is actually five too early? Brady is good enough where a steady slight decline could still leave him top 5 for years.

Last edited:
For the Film Reviewers:

Bademosi gave up just two receptions on 97% snaps. Any idea if it was tight coverage or McCown not taking advantage of a matchup?

That’d be a nice find if we got a STer that can provide quality depth on the outside at CB.

This is an interesting question, and a harder one to find film on without watching a ton of all-22 that I don’t have access to (One could also look at the coverage all-22s already posted for evaluating other players. Honestly, this might be a fun project for you to take on!). Instead, I am going to look at his potential mistakes.

I agree that it seems he did well, based on the low number of targets. This Pats Pulpit article gives him a good review:

Johnson Bademosi’s role in Patriots secondary vs. Jets ‘says a lot for his preparation’

Here is a Belichick quote from the article:

“He played [73] plays on defense, 14 in the kicking game, and we really didn’t know that he was going to play until Saturday – defensively.”

“To have a big role like that, it says a lot for his preparation, and he came through for us,” Belichick added. “I thought he played well, tackled well and did a great job. He stepped in, really did a great job.”

That article mentions 4 plays targeted “at him”, while you only mentioned 2. I decided to investigate. Here is the articles description:

On third-and-5 early in the second quarter, Bademosi conceded 16 yards on a slot crosser to ex-Seattle Seahawk Jermaine Kearse. Ten minutes later on first-and-10, Kearse picked up nine more yards against a well-cushioned look from Bademosi, who was challenged again with 56 seconds to go before intermission on a comeback that gained nine before being nullified.

Bademosi’s final pass given up came versus a curl from running back Travaris Cadet on second-and-9 with 10 minutes remaining in the third quarter. It netted seven yards.

I do have access to the broadcast footage:

Here is my take:

1. This is the biggest “mistake” that Bademosi had, and it was not that bad. He started M2M with outside leverage, and was not able to catch up on the crossing route going against his starting side. The throw hit the receiver in stride and Bademosi was still able to make the tackle.

2. This appears to be cover 3 zone and Bademosi is responsible for a deep third. The slot receiver opposite Chung is running a deep route, so Bademosi takes over that responsibility. Chung begins to move toward the outside receiver running the comeback route, but it is a bit too late. More of a good read coverage read by McCown than a coverage mistake IMO.

3. This one looks like man coverage, and it looks like Bademosi's mistake: It looks like he got beat be a comeback route while he was trying not to get beat deep. I don’t mind “mistakes” like these generally, but this catch would have put them in field goal range at the end of the catch. Maybe he should have been tighter and trust the safety help in case he gets beat deep. The All-22 would help us evaluate.

4. This is a zone blitz. You can tell based on how KVN runs to spot vacated by HT’s rush. It looks like we were trying to bait a throw to the TE. Bademosi seems to be responsible for the deep zone again, so can’t blame him for that.

So it looks like your 2 number was pretty accurate. Bademosi only gave up 2 receptions in M2M coverage ( plays 1 & 3 ). Pretty good start for him.

You might have noticed the bonus play I included at the end. While finding the plays from earlier I was reminded that we ran this corner blitz earlier in the game. I with we did not run that second one at the end of the game. I am sure their team discussed it the first time we ran the play.

Corner blitz once, good on us. Corner Blitz twice, good for them.

Last edited:
brady is hurt, couple that w/ the adjustment period required for this new offense we have this year, and with Edelman being out

i dont think you can really draw conclusions on the source of the accuracy/timing issues

brady is hurt, couple that w/ the adjustment period required for this new offense we have this year, and with Edelman being out

i dont think you can really draw conclusions on the source of the accuracy/timing issues

I wouldnt even say its adjustment but just the nature of switching from a high percentage short passing game to a intermediate/deep passing game.

Thats also why the offense seems so inconsistent. We are all conditioned to see those surgical, sustained drives. This year we really dont have any reliable quick possession receiver except for Dola. Cooks is great deep but his short pass drops make him look pretty meh on slants ect. so far.

Hope the return of Burkhead will help the short passing game a bit more to the point where we can do everything out of the same formation.

I wouldnt even say its adjustment but just the nature of switching from a high percentage short passing game to a intermediate/deep passing game.

Thats also why the offense seems so inconsistent. We are all conditioned to see those surgical, sustained drives. This year we really dont have any reliable quick possession receiver except for Dola. Cooks is great deep but his short pass drops make him look pretty meh on slants ect. so far.

Hope the return of Burkhead will help the short passing game a bit more to the point where we can do everything out of the same formation.

First, I completely agree with your point that the deep passing game involves lower percentage throws. This is one source of the inconsistency. I also agree that the loss 0f Edelman has hurt our short passing game. Both of these make it seem worse on Brady's side, but on not on him.

But, Brady has also been less surgical in his short & intermediate throws IMO. He has missed Dola and White in the slot on short typically high percentage plays. Brady has thrown behind or too high to Hogan on some intermediate crossing routes, including the pass where Hogan took the shot in the ribs. I can provide particular examples if need be. (The harder question is if he is doing it a higher rate than years past. It seems like yes, to me and that NFL film analyst from the article. To try to find evidence to compare the rates of these misses across multiple seasons would be a time consuming project.)

brady is hurt

This would not surprise me in the slightest. I am under the impression that the great eventually lose it because either cumulative or sudden injuries. Brady has never been one to complain about injuries, so I don't think we will know the extent to it.

We can identify factors and notice how they all might interact. We gain Cooks and lose Edelman, so there is a need to add more vertical elements to our passing game to adapt to the strengths of our players. Brady takes more hits waiting for down field routes to develop (and o-line play) and might have an impact in his consistency. We miss a few more early down throws for short yardage, putting us in third and long more often. All of these sources of accuracy/timing issues are intertwined IMO. They all compound on each other.

Despite all of that, he is still has extremely impressive production and is playing as a top 5 QB. I don't want to overstate the issues I have noticed:

Passer Rating
1. Alex Smith • KAN 120.5
2. Tom Brady • NWE 106.9
3. Kirk Cousins • WAS 106.4
4. Drew Brees • NOR 103.3
5. Aaron Rodgers • GNB 103.2

2017 NFL Leaders and Leaderboards | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The Jets game autopsy is out. Have fun guys..

After listening to the Review part of that podcast and Chatham talking about bias. He should not have mentioned the two pick plays as if they were bad penalties. Hogan and Cooks can't do what they did. It's blatant, and just really bad play by them. Chatham is clearly biased here.

interesting perspective . opponents might wanna exploit more the fact that D-Mac backs closer to the line..

I can't tell if Butler intended to undercut the entire way or if he got caught trailing and made a necessary gamble. Either way, it was a nice throw. Could have used some pressure to make it tougher to pull off.

This has been bothering me a lot lately. Guys have been stumbling and losing contain and allowing the QB to escape the pocket. The Julio Jones miracle catch only happens because Branch stumbles. Whether that's with one legged Mack's help or not you can't do that. If Branch doesn't lose his balance, Matt Ryan can't step up and a stumbling Van Noy gets the sack(since he gets up quick) and that means no Julio Jones miracle catch.

Unfortunately this has been translating into this season. Flowers is the one I want to single out because he's taking a high number of snaps. I would like to see his snaps reduced to see if maybe fatigue is causing him to stumble. He's not the only one stumbling. But I've noticed it happen to him a few times, last season as well. Like I said, it's not just him, and sometimes the o-lineman are causing it too. But I feel like all the rushers need to practice staying on two feet. Losing contain really hurts us.

Maybe take ballet lessons or something, didn't Lynn Swann do that?

And just a thought on the final Rats play. You guys notice how Harmon just let up and didn't go for the pick. You reckon BB grilled him in the past for a late pick on 4th down that cost them field position?(Even though the game was going to end with kneel downs)

It's a shame Harmon dropped the pick earlier in the drive. Could have nicknamed him the closer! I wonder how many 4th qtr picks Harmon has compared to the rest of the league. I bet he's up there at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe