PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

welcome Johnson Bademosi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think he could be used closer to Logan Ryan than Chung. He seems as physical and intelligent as Ryan. I am not convinced yet that he has enough acceleration and short area quickness to be as effective on slot blitzes ect. but that is because we have no tape on that.

Good point, and good post. I think his similarities to Logan Ryan is why he has played so much better than expected.

In 2015 the Patriot secondary was largely a smoothly functioning unit, with Butler and Ryan as the two top CBs and McCourty and Chung as safeties. As many posters have pointed out, Ryan was somewhat limited athletically (particularly speed-wise) but he was extremely intelligent and a good tackler, and of course he had a Vulcan mind-meld with fellow Rutgers alum McCourty.

However, I think BB became concerned with his secondary's play in the biggest games against big receivers. The Pats made 6'5" Chris Matthews look like an undiscovered superstar in the Seattle Super Bowl, and 6'2" Sanu and 6'3" Jones overpowered the Pats secondary in the Falcon Super Bowl.

As a result, I think that BB decided to make a concerted effort to bring in bigger CBs. He drafted Cyrus Jones as a tough thick CB (although not tall), and when Jones struggled he traded for Rowe, a big CB who rotated with Ryan. This offseason, he let athletically limited (although intelligent and tough) Ryan go and surprised everyone by paying a bundle to the much taller and athletically gifted Gilmore. Finally, he traded for Bademosi, an intelligent, good tackling CB like Ryan, but much bigger (although much less experienced at CB).

So what happens? In the first few games without Ryan, the Patriot secondary looks completely discombobulated with terrible communication and nobody in the right place at the right time. Gilmore has never played with a cerebral defense like the Patriots and he seems flummoxed, Butler seems uncomfortable with his role and doesn't seem confident, and McCourty doesn't have Ryan reading his mind and vice versa. I would argue that some growing pains should have been expected.

Gilmore goes out, and Butler becomes the clear #1 CB, Bademosi substitutes into the Ryan role as a smart, great tackling CB, and suddenly the secondary appears to be much improved, being in the right place and communicating much better.

Does that mean that the secondary is better without Gilmore and Rowe (as some posters have suggested)? Almost surely not, Gilmore played well against Mike Evans, and hopefully he will get more and more familiar with his new teammates. BB makes mistakes, but if the secondary is better without Gilmore it would be one of his biggest goofs ever. I am very hopeful that the Patriot secondary becomes a real strength for the defense in another few weeks, as was originally anticipated.

So, you’re saying that the call that led to the score being tied in the 3rd quarter which gave all the momentum back to Indy with a brand new game, wasn’t as important as the call before the half that made it 21-6 Pats? Did I read that correctly?

You did... and it was a correct statement as well. Without the Brown call the game is over. Watson had just gotten a first down and NE was set to bleed out the first half with ay least a 24-3 lead. Instead, Indy got a stop and roasted NE's defense with two long drives bookeending halftime.

By the time Hobbs was called, Indy was already moving at will. Even without the penalty, it would still have been 3rd down in the red zone.

Frankly, of all the calls in that game, the one on Hobbs had the least impact on game flow, it was anything but a turning point.

You did... and it was a correct statement as well. Without the Brown call the game is over. Watson had just gotten a first down and NE was set to bleed out the first half with ay least a 24-3 lead. Instead, Indy got a stop and roasted NE's defense with two long drives bookeending halftime.

By the time Hobbs was called, Indy was already moving at will. Even without the penalty, it would still have been 3rd down in the red zone.

Frankly, of all the calls in that game, the one on Hobbs had the least impact on game flow, it was anything but a turning point.
I find it difficult to believe that a faulty call which occurred in the EZ that basically tied the game in the second half had “the least impact” out of any calls in the game, but I get the point that it wasn’t as important as people remember.

I think the fact that the NFL later issued an apology may have helped to make it more of a monumental type of play in hindsight.

I find it difficult to believe that a faulty call which occurred in the EZ that basically tied the game in the second half had “the least impact” out of any calls in the game, but I get the point that it wasn’t as important as people remember.

I think the fact that the NFL later issued an apology may have helped to make it more of a monumental type of play in hindsight.

Least impact of the bad calls, sorry if I didn't make that clear. The Brown OPI and Bethea being allowed to mug Reche on NE's penultimate drive both impacted the game more than Hobbs' "faceguarding".

I have a vague memory of a long pass down the middle that was called PI and ended up being a 40-50 yard penalty. That one pissed me off as much as the Hobbs call.

I hate the spot fouls with a passion. They should do away with them in the NYFL.

he has been impressive considering he has been thrown into a large role. tight coverage and seems to fly to the ball.

my favorite play by him during the game was the attempted screen pass to Julio Jones where badamossi read the play, ran up the field and tackled Jones as he received the ball.

we will have a "good" problem when Gilmore/rowe are healthy of what to do.

Could Bademosi play the Star position?
His tackling is superb, he's a bit bigger than Pat Chung and seems to cover people better than Richards

With Gilmore coming back, he wont be needed covering wrs anymore

Just a random, late night thought...

Last edited:
Could Bademosi play the Star position?
His tackling is superb, he's a bit bigger than Pat Chung and seems to cover people better than Richards

With Gilmore coming back, he wont be needed covering wrs anymore

Just a random, late night thought...

At the very least, he'd be an upgrade over Richards, but could be a guy to spell or even overtake Chung.

But a lot of posters have told me he didn't play much in Cleveland or Detroit, so he can't possibly be productive in any way, shape or form.

Bellichick-Cleveland.jpg

What happens in Cleveland, stays in Cleveland.

Maineman- that 40 time for Butler is wrong. He actually runs in the 4.4's, basically as fast as Gilmore. The Pats timed him repeatedly in the 4.4's. That's also more in line with what we see on the field.
Don't try to perpetuate a false narrative.
Malcolm is one of the faster cbs in the NFL. As is Gilmore.

Maineman isn't the one providing a false narrative. Malcolm Butler's official 40 time from his Pro-Day was 4.62.

Not sure where you get that Butler runs in the 4.4s, but I'd love to see the article.

Instead of making BS accusations, you should back up your claims with something tangible..

Wrong. The Patriots timing of Butler's 40's- all in the low to mid 4.4's we're not "haphazardly" reported. They were widely reported by well-known Patriots scouts, Matt Patricia and oh, some guy named Belichick.
I put a lot more stock in the accuracy of those times than nfldraftscout.com.
I assumed as a Pats fan, you would have read and researched this. It is well known that his pro day 40 time is an anomaly. That is not unusual.
And yes,it is a false narrative you're trying to perpetuate.
Unless you believe BB lied.

Please provide an actual article.

NFLDraftscout.com is one of the go to sources for all things regarding the draft.

Please stop claiming that Maineman is perpetuating a false narrative. You've offered up nothing to support your claims.

Calm down,son, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I was just pointing out an inaccurate #.
Let me ask you this : what do YOU think BB put more stock in- mbs pro day 40, or what his staff timed him at. I think you know the answer. Case closed.

You accused Maineman TWICE of perpetuating a false narrative. You're backtracking now with your BS claim that you were "just pointing out an inaccurate number".

You're trying to be a spin doctor and falling flat on your face doing it because you can't be bothered to actually offer up proof..

Cool. Last week we presumed he was garbage and today he's been dragged out of the trash bin and placed firmly on a pedestal. A great chapter in what we hope will be a full exposition with a gloriously happy ending. If so, he will have earned it.

Cleveland Browns rookie Johnson Bademosi knows how to take advantage of his opportunities

My guess is that Bademosi and Ebner get along really well being that they both have Rugby backgrounds.

Along with not knowing that he has a rugby background the article mentions a wrestling background. The Rugby and Wrestling backgrounds also explains why Bademosi tackles extremely well and is such a great special teams player.

What is most telling is how down to earth this kid is:

"I've been blessed with opportunities in my life, opportunities some kids in my neighborhood never had," he said. "It would be wrong of me not to take advantage of them. A lot of people helped me get this far."

Clearly he takes nothing for granted..

If he plays well sunday then his new nickname should be Moose Johnson.

Maineman isn't the one providing a false narrative. Malcolm Butler's official 40 time from his Pro-Day was 4.62.

Not sure where you get that Butler runs in the 4.4s, but I'd love to see the article.

Instead of making BS accusations, you should back up your claims with something tangible..

I think he meant the article about Butler in Usatoday. Here's an excerpt of it:

It was Josh Boyer, the Patriots' defensive back coach. He could offer Butler a tryout the next weekend in Foxborough. The Patriots would fly Butler to New England, but Butler would have to sign a waiver in order to participate.

"I don't think he was even off the plane and on the ground for half an hour before they had him run the 40. And he ran a 4.4, and they called and said they were going to keep him," Simpson said.

I remember reading this in a few places that why agreed. BB has also said he plays faster than the combine time when a reporter asked him about it but really the game tape should be all the proof you need. No coach would put a DB running a 4.6 on deshawn Jackson.

Last edited:
I think he meant the article about Butler in Usatoday. Here's an excerpt of it:

It was Josh Boyer, the Patriots' defensive back coach. He could offer Butler a tryout the next weekend in Foxborough. The Patriots would fly Butler to New England, but Butler would have to sign a waiver in order to participate.

"I don't think he was even off the plane and on the ground for half an hour before they had him run the 40. And he ran a 4.4, and they called and said they were going to keep him," Simpson said.

I remember reading this in a few places that why agreed. BB has also said he plays faster than the combine time when a reporter asked him about it but really the game tape should be all the proof you need. No coach would put a DB running a 4.6 on deshawn Jackson.

Where's the link?

HERE.. I found it for you.
Malcolm Butler proves NFL scouting combine not only path to stardom

Hand timings are notoriously unreliable. What Maineman posted was Butler's ACTUAL time from his Pro-Day and the article even says that the 4.62 left Butler devestated. And yes, there are plenty of players who have done better (or worse) at an individual try out than at their Pro-Day. It doesn't make Maineman incorrect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back