PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

welcome Johnson Bademosi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think he could be used closer to Logan Ryan than Chung. He seems as physical and intelligent as Ryan. I am not convinced yet that he has enough acceleration and short area quickness to be as effective on slot blitzes ect. but that is because we have no tape on that.

Like Ryan, Bademosi's edge-contain seems very good.

Bademosi definitely still has a role even when Gilmore and Rowe come back. It is actually more encouraging in terms of depth. We don't want to rush Rowe back especially with a groin injury. Happy to see J. Jones make some progress too, dude is very fast.

Agree in general, but I think they'll keep Badesmosi involved in the defense on a weekly basis.
I agree. They have to keep him out there at some level.

A lot of things have not worked out as well for the Pats as we hoped to this point. It was good to get a surprise out of left field like this. Super Bowl teams need to get a few surprise contributors to do it. Still would love to have Gilmore and Rowe back.

To me though the main key is Butler has stepped up his play. Maybe he was hurt a bit early in the year but he just seems a bit faster now and playing with more pop in his game.

I was re-watching Bademosi on all-22 before ATL game and it was great way to enter Sunday Night. It put me at ease. First impression of him was good and I was happy to see all-22 confirmed it. He was lined up on both sides of the field and also a couple in the slot (at least also once covering ASJ) . and he was never burned, no miscommunication on 98% of the snaps which was quite amazing.

He's not your natural born corner w cat like moves and fluidity . what made me feel good though was his awareness, confidence (obviously built through preparation), intelligence, great tackling .. some aspects reminded me of Logan Ryan. And even when he gets beaten at the start of the route he has the footwork and closing speed to make up for much of it.

Here two vids from NYJ game for some illustration. Didn't have time to include them in NYJ re-watch thread..

1. knows his job and the call well . keeps an eye on the play . has confidence in him and his teammate to hand over his man and go immediately for the play downfield . makes decisive tackle as always

2. Here he is on the top of the screen . mirroring Kearse like most of the game

Bademosi's CoD and acceleration are excellent on that first play. I also like the way he hesitates just enough at the other end to make the RB commit and then actually "aim" his tackle.

Cool. Last week we presumed he was garbage and today he's been dragged out of the trash bin and placed firmly on a pedestal. A great chapter in what we hope will be a full exposition with a gloriously happy ending. If so, he will have earned it.

"He is by far the hardest-working rookie I have ever been around," Browns cornerback Sheldon Brown said about Bademosi in 2012. "He is always taking notes, never falling asleep in meetings, always in the weight room even when he doesn't have to be in there. That speaks volumes to how he must have been raised."
Cleveland Browns rookie Johnson Bademosi knows how to take advantage of his opportunities

Last edited:
Wow, Bademosi going from “just ST player w no corner skills“ to “elephant in the room“ re starting over Gilmore/Rowe in two days! That must be a record.

He was amazing stepping up like that - still this were two games.

When Gilmore is cleared he resumes his job as starting CB. Rowe was reportedly still visibly limping and his return is probably not imminent (not put on IR since they want to return 2 of IR guys already).

Bad-M could be in play for some nickel and dime (along w JJ and Chung - not talking position just depth) . but Id guess he will mostly resume his ST job - he was the best Pats ST player with Ebner and Slater out.
__

Here another article on him:
Johnson Bademosi - who? - has been integral in Patriots defensive turnaround

quote:
“Bademosi was probably one of our top-ranked guys for the roles that we projected him in,” Belichick said Monday on a teleconference call. “Then (Lions general manager) Bob (Quinn) went to Detroit and he ended up signing him there. I’d say that wasn’t really a surprise to us because we knew that he liked the player. I mean, we all liked him. That’s the way things worked out.”

Last edited:
It is NOT "wrong".

All those numbers are what these players measured - publicly - at their combine or and/or pro day. Everyone can verify their publication in a variety of sources.

For the sake of consistent baseline comparisons, I always use those in preference to anecdotes about times and measurements that were only privately witnessed and haphazardly reported ("The Pats timed him repeatedly in the 4.4's.").

It is also NOT a "false narrative", and I resent the accusation.

We all understand that players often "play faster" or "player slower" than their public measurements in artificial testing. Football IQ, awareness, skills (or lack thereof) can enable a player to succeed beyond his baseline measurements, enhancing his "effective athleticism". Time is also a factor, since a relatively young player certainly has the opportunity to improve his athleticism in pro-level training regimes, but also, older players obviously begin to lose some of the physical abilities that support their effective athleticism.

All numbers are from nfldraftscout.com, btw.

Wrong. The Patriots timing of Butler's 40's- all in the low to mid 4.4's we're not "haphazardly" reported. They were widely reported by well-known Patriots scouts, Matt Patricia and oh, some guy named Belichick.
I put a lot more stock in the accuracy of those times than nfldraftscout.com.
I assumed as a Pats fan, you would have read and researched this. It is well known that his pro day 40 time is an anomaly. That is not unusual.
And yes,it is a false narrative you're trying to perpetuate.
Unless you believe BB lied.

A lot of things have not worked out as well for the Pats as we hoped to this point. It was good to get a surprise out of left field like this. Super Bowl teams need to get a few surprise contributors to do it. Still would love to have Gilmore and Rowe back.

To me though the main key is Butler has stepped up his play. Maybe he was hurt a bit early in the year but he just seems a bit faster now and playing with more pop in his game.
He was not hurt, his confidence was shuttered. What else could he have done for this organization? That was a ****ty thing to do by BB and look at what he got in return? Someone who is not schematically flexible. With Bademosi, the defense was not scared to switch up, everybody was doing their job but at the same time, keeping their head up to situational changes.

Cool. Last week we presumed he was garbage and today he's been dragged out of the trash bin and placed firmly on a pedestal. A great chapter in what we hope will be a full exposition with a gloriously happy ending. If so, he will have earned it.

Cleveland Browns rookie Johnson Bademosi knows how to take advantage of his opportunities
this part was interesting:

Bademosi was a natural on the athletic fields. He was so accomplished as a rugby winger that he competed for the U.S. junior national teams. A teenager who once didn't know his way around his hometown was traveling to Europe to play international tournaments.

Kelly believes, if football had not worked out, Bademosi would have been a candidate for the 2016 Summer Olympics in which rugby will debut.

"Rugby tackling is very different [from football] because you don't have time," he said. "In football you do. The game can change in a lot of different ways. Rugby is a very physical game. Football is a physical game, as well."

his tackling prowess makes sense. i wonder if he already knew nate ebner.

Wrong. The Patriots timing of Butler's 40's- all in the low to mid 4.4's we're not "haphazardly" reported. They were widely reported by well-known Patriots scouts, Matt Patricia and oh, some guy named Belichick.
I assumed as a Pats fan, you would have read and researched this. It is well known that his pro day 40 time is an anomaly. That is not unusual.

Pro day times published on nfldraftscout.com are facts no matter how much stock you put in them. Of course they are facts about that exact moment in time.

It was not just slow 40 . it was underwhelming pro day performance all-around.
Here a story: Malcolm Butler Not Just A Patriots One-Hit Wonder, Has Untapped Potential

quote:
It’s a good thing that Butler had a strong showing at the Medal Of Honor Bowl all-star game and came out of the draft with a strong recommendation from Patriots cornerbacks coach Josh Boyer and “assistant to the coaching staff” Michael Lombardi.

The approx. 4.4 number is not official time.

Lombardi did state many times that when they brought Butler for tryout (he was not even a straight UDFA) they immediately noticed that he is much faster and quicker than his pro day number suggested.

What is most important is that he was fast with pads in reps. And was making plays..

You wouldn't bet on him in 40 dash run against JJ, Bademosi, Gilmore . but you would when he plays ball..

Last edited:
Pro day times published on nfldraftscout.com are facts no matter how much stock you put in them. Of course they are facts about that exact moment in time.

It was not just slow 40 . it was underwhelming pro day performance all-around.
Here a story: Malcolm Butler Not Just A Patriots One-Hit Wonder, Has Untapped Potential

quote:
It’s a good thing that Butler had a strong showing at the Medal Of Honor Bowl all-star game and came out of the draft with a strong recommendation from Patriots cornerbacks coach Josh Boyer and “assistant to the coaching staff” Michael Lombardi.

The approx. 4.4 number is not official time.

Lombardi did state many times that when they brought Butler for tryout (he was not even a straight UDFA) they immediately noticed that he is much fater and quicker than his pro day number suggested.

What is most important is that he was fast with pads in reps. And was making plays..

You wouldn't bet on him in 40 dash run against JJ, Bademosi, Gilmore . but you would when he plays ball..

I appreciate your post,ld, but Patriots times are way more "official" than what he ran on a pro day.
That pro day was ONE time. Prior to his pro day, his school timed him in the 4.4's.
After his pro day, the Pats worked him out on several occasions. This was not just ONE 40. He was in the 4.4's EVERY time. THAT carries a ton more weight than his pro day. It's not that unudusl- for whatever reason, an udfa has a pro day, due to nerves or whatever performs well below his capabilities. It happens more than you think. That's why good coaches and orgs pay more attention to game film and their own workouts than they do to pro days. The man runs in the 4.4's and on a given day, I'm sure he could outrun or match Gilmore and badass. But not JJ,- he's in his own class.
It's really all irrelevant, but it rankles me when Pats fans post bogus #'s on our players,w/o doing the proper research to ensure accuracy.
FACT: MULTIPLE 40 times clocked by the Pats are far more accurate than one 40 time at a pro day.

Again ...

THERE IS NO ****ING "NARRATIVE" TO MY POST.

The "narrative" is only what YOU are reading into it.

And you can **** THE HELL OFF with your accusations.

Again ...

THERE IS NO ****ING "NARRATIVE" TO MY POST.

The "narrative" is only what YOU are reading into it.

And you can **** THE HELL OFF with your accusations.
Calm down,son, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I was just pointing out an inaccurate #.
Let me ask you this : what do YOU think BB put more stock in- mbs pro day 40, or what his staff timed him at. I think you know the answer. Case closed.

Heh, that one probably should have been DPI though, right? Think he caught a break there.
How could it be dpi? He didn't make any contact with the receiver.

Calm down,son, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I was just pointing out an inaccurate #.
Let me ask you this : what do YOU think BB put more stock in- mbs pro day 40, or what his staff timed him at. I think you know the answer. Case closed.
I think the issue is that the proday time is recorded and common knowledge while the patriots workout is rumor.
If I remember correctly even butler said they never told him what they timed.
I'm far from an expert on the subject so if you have a bunch of backup for this I'd accept that.

Its two weeks in a row now that he has held up well as a defensive back which is great considering his billing as a special teamer (nothing more). I suppose Rowe and Gilmore aren’t worried about losing their jobs in the rotation quite yet but, at the very least, he has earned a role on defense as solid depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back