PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andy Johnson Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

captain stone

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
No, not the player, though I did appreciate him when he played here.

I am referring to Andy Johnson the poster who, through all of the Pats' trials & tribulations this season, still remained steadfast in his belief that the team and especially the defense were better than their record, and especially their statistics, indicated that they were.

And he was right.

And I was wrong - very wrong.

While this salty old pessimist was looking for reasons why the Pats would not win tonight - logical, indisputable reasons I thought at the time - Andy (and others too) merely had to recall 16 whopping years of empirical evidence from Bill & Brady, that the past is past and how the next game looks is all that is needed to determine what the outcome could be.

Looking ahead, and not behind, is a lesson that Andy & the Patriots have always remembered, and is one that I will not forget…at least not until the Chargers game.

Well done Andy. Mea maxima culpa.

Mmm…crow doesn't taste too bad, especially after a half-dozen (or so) Oktoberfests.

I am referring to Andy Johnson the poster who, through all of the Pats' trials & tribulations this season, still remained steadfast in his belief that the team and especially the defense were better than their record, and especially their statistics, indicated that they were.

And he was right.

While this salty old pessimist was looking for reasons why the Pats would not win tonight - logical, indisputable reasons I thought at the time - Andy (and others too) merely had to recall 16 whopping years of empirical evidence from Bill & Brady, that the past is past and how the next game looks is all that is needed to determine what the outcome could be.

Looking ahead, and not behind, is a lesson that Andy & the Patriots have always remembered, and is one that I will not forget…at least not until the Chargers game.

Mmm…crow doesn't taste too bad, especially after a half-dozen (or so) Oktoberfests.

Throw it on a medium high grill, turn twice every 5 minutes, add two more turns basting it in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Tastes just like chicken...

And he was right.

Respect.

Respect to you, Captain -- enjoy the beer!

BB drives fans nuts sometimes, but it's nights like this that make it clear: he's the greatest football coach of all time. I hope that everyone in the score competition who predicted against the Pats comes here to make confession too.

Much respect for making a whole new thread to eat crow and acknowledge another poster. Well done.

I think Captain Stone can teach us all a valuable lesson here - whether you’re an optimist or a pessimist, you will always be fine with this crew if you own it. It’s not easy to admit you’re wrong sometimes but it happens more than any of us would care to admit. (Looking at you, Chris Harper...)

I hope that we can take this really fine example by Captain to learn from going forward - it’s okay if you were wrong! Just own it and move forward with everyone else. :cool:

I was one of the ones that predicted a loss.

Just didn't think the D had it in them to stop their O.

I've been wrong before and I will again. And this gentlemen is why I do not gamble anymore.

Captain stone- you probably won't see this, since I think I'm on your ignore list- but I gotta give you props for starting this thread.
Makes me see you in a different light.
Takes a big man to post that. Like Aretha said, R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

I think anyone that has been following this team for at least a year should have expected an improvement out of that unit. The talent is there, they just needed to put it together.

Every year say the same thing here ... 6-8 games for a Belichick team to be revealed.

He could be lazy ... but he's not ... the rolling stone gathers no moss meme.

Last edited:
Yeah, I predicted a loss to the Falcons, too. Me of little faith.

Gotta say that Bademosi and Jones played with intensity and discipline that was lacking with Gilmore. This is starting to feel like it's time for addition by subtraction.

Also, the coverages looked less complicated against the Falcons than that train wreck against Houston. More straight man early and better zone coverages after they got the two-TD lead. Malcolm Butler commented on the communication being better in the post-game interview with Michelle Tafoya. He had very clear assignments - Julio Jones - on most plays.

The other thing I saw was Atlanta's blocking schemes looked basic all game - like pre-season - as if they were more concerned about not making mistakes. Their downfield blocking sucked.

As Winst0n Wolf famously said, let's not go s'ing each other's d's quite yet. It was one good (if not pretty great) performance by the defense. Let's see if they can match that intensity against the Chargers.

Good point, just as the homers said we shouldn't jump off the bridge after 2 or 3 bad performances we shouldn't consider it magically fixed after 1 or 2 good performances.

It works both ways.

Of course, this is fan messageboard so we'll be overly emotional to what last happened, but we should still be cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:

And he was right.

Always enjoyed Andy's posts. I do miss NEM though.

Good job Andy, and you’re welcome. I can almost guarantee this thread was started because I stated the team had no chance with Gilmore and Rowe out, and we may have to score 50+ because Atlanta was going to score 50+ on us. Great job by the Pat’s defense, I was amazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes