PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDaniels Very Interested in the Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant mostly as a Head Coach in hiring, and/or retaining people who know what they're doing.

However, McD became the Pats' QB Coach in 2004 under Weis, and his official title with the Pats beginning in 2006 has been, "OC and quarterbacks coach". BoB held that title during McD's "wandering in the wilderness phase".

Since the Pats haven't had anyone else designated (besides BoB) as "QB Coach" since 2004, I'm assuming that means that McD was the hands-on guy with Cassell, JimmyG, Brisset, etc.

My guess is that the fact that McD has worked directly with Brady for most of the past 14 years might also give him some respect and credibility from Mayfield.

My disagreement was based on your "best candidate' assessment, not a dismissal of McDaniels as an excellent candidate to bring Mayfield along. Gase's track record in that regard is hard to look past. Ironically Gase & McDaniels would both benefit from not having final say on player personnel in Cleveland, it was their undoing in each of their previous HC gigs. All that said, I think the point is academic. If Dorsey is worth his stripes he will recognize how comfortable his young QB is with Kitchens and the new HC will come from the other side of the ball and have a willingness to retain the OC.

I liked when the Bucs canned Lovie because they didn’t want to lose Koetter and lose what (they thought) they were building with him and Jameis. It didn’t end up working out but they had the balls to pull the trigger and not derail the development that it looked like Jameis was making. Who knows if the Browns do the same with Kitchens or not but it wouldn’t be unheard of.

It makes no sense to me that the Pats convinced him to give up a HC gig last year only to have him throw his hat in the ring a year later. Weird times in Foxboro.

The Packers job is a better job.

Is everyone crazy?

Rodgers is a slam dunk HOF QB. Mayfield had a good season but year 2 for a rookie QB is harder because of film breakdown and study.

MCD goes to Cleveland and he better win the super bowl in a few years. A RB and another WR and the Steelers are back in business and I have no doubts that Pitt can find the next A Brown. The Bengals should improve without Lewis and Ravens are for real.

Go to Cleveland and get fired when the city turns on you because you did not deliver a championship. The same people that turned on BB protesting at his house and harrasing his kids at school. Unstable ownership too. Haslam took away Jackson's play calling duties and made him hire Haley.

Packers run a West Coast offense. Not really a fit. I can't see Rogers learning a whole new system.

Unless they thought at the time that was the only way to Keep Tom with Jimmy being traded and now BB and Tom are in a better place.
However some guy on the Packers Message board claims to be a friend of Josh Mcdaniels and know he will take the pack job and will name Mike Nolan and Steve spagnulo defensive coaches as well as TY Law and Lawyer Milloy as secondary coaches.
That part I call BS.
I don't see Ty having any interest in coaching.

Unless they thought at the time that was the only way to Keep Tom with Jimmy being traded and now BB and Tom are in a better place.
However some guy on the Packers Message board claims to be a friend of Josh Mcdaniels and know he will take the pack job and will name Mike Nolan and Steve spagnulo defensive coaches as well as TY Law and Lawyer Milloy as secondary coaches.
That part I call BS.
I don't see Ty having any interest in coaching.
I agree. I know (more like “knew” TBH) Ty and his family and he is much more interested in his trampoline parks business and there’s no way his wife and kids would move to GB.

Sounds like complete BS.

I agree. I know (more like “knew” TBH) Ty and his family and he is much more interested in his trampoline parks business and there’s no way his wife and kids would move to GB.

Sounds like complete BS.
Nobody knows anything at this point

From Packers board
Oh don’t worry, I do know he plans on bringing in all new coaches. Zook and Whitt are basically already all but gone. Also don’t be shocked if you hear names like Ty Law or Lawyer Milloy mentioned as possible position coaches.

You must not have read my background. I’m from Canton, OH...so is the McDaniels family. They literally grew up down the street from where I did near North Canton Ohio. I have TWO older brothers who were close friends of both Josh and his brother Ben growing up. As a kid I’d tag along and play sandlot footbal, baseball, and basketball with the guys. I know his dad, Tom. Was my brothers High School football coach at Canton McKinley HighSchool. All those guys still keep in touch. Even tho I hate the Patiots it’s good to see a hometown guy have so much success...I want some of that success in Green Bay....heck I’ll even take being contenders for the North again over what I’ve been through the last two seasons.

Eh who knows how legit.

Revisionist history says Cutler sucks but at the time he was seen as a promising young QB who an innovative young offensive coach could get over the hump. Instead Josh got rid of him and drafted Tebow.
No. Cutler sucked at the time. I, and many others says it then. It’s not revisionist history to say people were wrong about what they thought of the guy. He sucks. Seeing it then makes you right not wrong because the crowd didnt see it yet.
You are criticizing him because he turned out to be right about cutler but other people didnt see it? Weird.

From Packers board
Oh don’t worry, I do know he plans on bringing in all new coaches. Zook and Whitt are basically already all but gone. Also don’t be shocked if you hear names like Ty Law or Lawyer Milloy mentioned as possible position coaches.

You must not have read my background. I’m from Canton, OH...so is the McDaniels family. They literally grew up down the street from where I did near North Canton Ohio. I have TWO older brothers who were close friends of both Josh and his brother Ben growing up. As a kid I’d tag along and play sandlot footbal, baseball, and basketball with the guys. I know his dad, Tom. Was my brothers High School football coach at Canton McKinley HighSchool. All those guys still keep in touch. Even tho I hate the Patiots it’s good to see a hometown guy have so much success...I want some of that success in Green Bay....heck I’ll even take being contenders for the North again over what I’ve been through the last two seasons.

Eh who knows how legit.
There is no way that is legit.

For the third time, Jay Cutler was thought of as a rising star as evidenced by the fact he was traded for Kyle Orton and a first and a third round pick. One would be able to give Josh the benefit of the doubt and say he knew how Cutler’s career would pan out but that goes out the window with the Tebow pick.
No.
Jay cutler was a lazy guy who didn’t care about football and when challenged with needing to improve said he didn’t want to play there.
He is a dlck. He had talent but was never going to win in this league.
You seem to think that McDaniels should have cowtowed to him and told him he was the best ear ever and didn’t have to change a thing and beg him to lead them to mediocrity.

It appears he's not that as hot a candidate as he wanted to be, he's basically begging for interest from the Browns.

It's like he's waiting for the perfect job, if the job was perfect it wouldn't need a coach.

The way this is going it's starting to look like he got spooked by the thought of Lucks shoulder never healing and him being stuck in Indianapolis with Brissett as his QB rather than anything to do with the Patriots.

No.
Jay cutler was a lazy guy who didn’t care about football and when challenged with needing to improve said he didn’t want to play there.
He is a dlck. He had talent but was never going to win in this league.
You seem to think that McDaniels should have cowtowed to him and told him he was the best ear ever and didn’t have to change a thing and beg him to lead them to mediocrity.
Once again hindsight is 20/20. And like I said in my other post, he planned on trading him before the ink was even dry on his contract. He floated it out there he was on the block a couple weeks after getting the job. Yes we all know now that Cutler is aloof and doesn’t really care about being great but I doubt a first time head coach who had never even practiced with him knew. I don’t think he should’ve cowtowed him but if he is an offensive mastermind I’d assume he would at least get to minicamp and see what he is working with.

If you take the Browns to the playoffs they will build a statue for you. If you don't take GB to the SB they will be calling for your head.
Unless your name is Rodgers.

Once again hindsight is 20/20.
What are you talking about?
How is it a hindsight issue that he assessed the player, did it correctly and made the right move be ausevyou think other people had him overrated.
It’s like saying Ryan lead was a good pick because people thought he was good and seeing things about him that were bad and recognizing it was a bad pick is hindsight.

And like I said in my other post, he planned on trading him before the ink was even dry on his contract.
Did he tell you that?

He floated it out there he was on the block a couple weeks after getting the job. Yes we all know now that Cutler is aloof and doesn’t really care about being great but I doubt a first time head coach who had never even practiced with him knew.
You are oblivious to what actually went down.

I don’t think he should’ve cowtowed him but if he is an offensive mastermind I’d assume he would at least get to minicamp and see what he is working with.
Why? He said that cutler needed to improve and cutler acted like he raped a baby and said he wouldn’t play for him.
Cutlers issues were evident day 1.

Everyone on the world understands it was a great move to get what he got for that bum, and you ate somehow trying to argue that a smart coach would have loved Cutler and kept him around to fail.

What are you talking about?
How is it a hindsight issue that he assessed the player, did it correctly and made the right move be ausevyou think other people had him overrated.
It’s like saying Ryan lead was a good pick because people thought he was good and seeing things about him that were bad and recognizing it was a bad pick is hindsight.

Did he tell you that?

You are oblivious to what actually went down.

Why? He said that cutler needed to improve and cutler acted like he raped a baby and said he wouldn’t play for him.
Cutlers issues were evident day 1.

Everyone on the world understands it was a great move to get what he got for that bum, and you ate somehow trying to argue that a smart coach would have loved Cutler and kept him around to fail.

Cutler won't meet with Broncos after trade talk

Article from March 2nd 2009 discusses how Cutler was pissed that newly appointed coach Josh McDaniels was shopping him. So this article told me that.

Now follow along here, as far as the hindsight being 20/20 aspect to the situation, Cutler was viewed by most as an up and comer. He had solid stats in 2007 and in 2008 he was a Pro Bowl alternate. One could reasonably surmise that good stats combined with getting good compensation for him would signal the fact that he was well regarded in 2009 when Josh got to Denver. Not sure why this is so difficult for you.

I’m also not sure where you saw Josh told Cutler “he needed to improve”. Based on what I said earlier Josh just wanted his own guy and it wasn’t as much about Cutler’s talent/lack of talent, it was that he didn’t want Shanahan’s guy. According to Cutler himself Josh told him that flat out he wanted Cassell because he was Josh’s guy.

Meeting backfires; Cutler asks Denver for trade

As for your last barely legible paragraph, yes one could argue Josh knew that Cutler wouldn't turn out to be a great QB and got a good haul for him. Had Tebow or Cassell went on to have great careers then you could say “yea Josh saw Cutler was a bum” but in reality he got lucky that Cutler never took the next step and he didn’t actually know how to evaluate which quarterbacks would be good.

Packers run a West Coast offense. Not really a fit. I can't see Rogers learning a whole new system.
That's been the gripe.

The offense has been stale and the league has caught up with Mcarthy. Reid was a WC guy too and has moved on to the RPO.

Im just sharing I love info and research I have no idea if the guy is legit or not.
Maybe he just wikipedia d the Mcdaniels and fabricated the rest.
Who knows.
I work for a wireless company about 9 years ago The rapper Wiz Khalifa im not a big fan I think hes midly talented at best came in my store to buy a iphone for a groupie chick and a aircard for his tour bus.
I busted his balls pretty good about not knowing who he was asking him what kind of performer he was I asked him if he a magician he was pissed.
His little Taylor gang posse tried to talk tough to me. I laughed
He tweeted out his frustration good times.
My point this is a true story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back