PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDaniels Very Interested in the Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.
He took over a team with a young offense that hovered around .500 the previous couple years. He blew it up because he wanted to not because it was an aging roster basement dweller team.
He blew it up because the QB sucked and the only offensive player on the roster with any talent was a head case.

He blew it up because the QB sucked and the only offensive player on the roster with any talent was a head case.
Revisionist history says Cutler sucks but at the time he was seen as a promising young QB who an innovative young offensive coach could get over the hump. Instead Josh got rid of him and drafted Tebow.

McD is probably the best candidate to help Mayfield develop well.

We don't disagree often but respectfully I can't see where that judgement is warranted. What young QB has McDaniels developed? If I were Dorsey and looking to hire a QB whisperer as my HC I'd be looking at Gase. Although if I were the GM in Cleveland I'd be looking for a coach whose strength was on the other side of the ball, Mayfield seems comfortable with the current offensive staff.

We don't disagree often but respectfully I can't see where that judgement is warranted. What young QB has McDaniels developed? If I were Dorsey and looking to hire a QB whisperer as my HC I'd be looking at Gase. Although if I were the GM in Cleveland I'd be looking for a coach whose strength was on the other side of the ball, Mayfield seems comfortable with the current offensive staff.
I’d give Arians a call too. His track record is pretty good with QB’s.

Are the Browns interested in him though?

The Browns GM used to work with the current Colts GM, McDaniels may not even get an interview.

Can’t see why a coach wouldn’t be interested in the Brown’s job.
The Browns are on the upswing with talent, but that might not translate to job security. They have an established coaching carousel culture with 11 head coaches in and out of there in the last 20 years. It’s not a stable place.

Btw, not sure of McDaniels contract? Was it a year to year or multi year extension?

Doesn't matter. Teams cannot prevent non-head coaches from taking HC jobs. Only thing playoff teams can do is restrict timing.

Cleveland might the most desirable spot in years...

Great influx of young talent all around
Franchise QB (At least appearently...)
Good Draft Capital
Excelent Cap situation

Oh, and imagine being the guy who won a playoff game (maybe the SB) with the Browns? Legends status on the making

And what goes against it? Maybe some immediate pressure...

Heck, I'd be willing to coach the Browns now... They don't drug test the coaches right?

He took over a team with a young offense that hovered around .500 the previous couple years. He blew it up because he wanted to not because it was an aging roster basement dweller team.

He blew it up because his best players were Jay Cutler(enough said) and Brandon Marshall(significant personality issues,0 playoff appearances).

He blew it up because his best players were Jay Cutler(enough said) and Brandon Marshall(significant personality issues,0 playoff appearances).
For the third time, Jay Cutler was thought of as a rising star as evidenced by the fact he was traded for Kyle Orton and a first and a third round pick. One would be able to give Josh the benefit of the doubt and say he knew how Cutler’s career would pan out but that goes out the window with the Tebow pick.

Going on the wild assumption Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels still are on speaking terms, McDaniels is not interested in the Browns job.

The owner stays one step ahead of a federal indictment, the GM is a walking ego who was so insufferable that Andy Reid sent him away, and Baker Mayfield is an accurate passer and gunslinger, but his temperament and size will stop him from being successful long term.

Belichick would not trade Jimmy G. to the Browns because he knew he’d fail there. So, you can bet his advice to McDaniels would be to wait for another opportunity.

Going on the wild assumption Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels still are on speaking terms, McDaniels is not interested in the Browns job.

The owner stays one step ahead of a federal indictment, the GM is a walking ego who was so insufferable that Andy Reid sent him away, and Baker Mayfield is an accurate passer and gunslinger, but his temperament and size will stop him from being successful long term.

Belichick would not trade Jimmy G. to the Browns because he knew he’d fail there. So, you can bet his advice to McDaniels would be to wait for another opportunity.
Yes temperamental QB’s can’t win in the NFL :rolleyes: Except for Marino, Brady, Peyton, Rodgers...

Are the Browns interested in him though?

The Browns GM used to work with the current Colts GM, McDaniels may not even get an interview.
Seems they really like Caldwell.

For the third time, Jay Cutler was thought of as a rising star as evidenced by the fact he was traded for Kyle Orton and a first and a third round pick. One would be able to give Josh the benefit of the doubt and say he knew how Cutler’s career would pan out but that goes out the window with the Tebow pick.

It does not go out the window. Tebow was a bad choice and I am not the biggest McDaniel's fan, but I understood his thinking. Cutler seemed a problem in nearly every situation throughout his career. Why would it be unreasonable that McDaniel have quickly recognized this? Tebow was a bottom first round pick (25th). Maybe McDaniel thought he was coachable enough to make up for other weaknesses. Obviously he was wrong, but for much less risk BB even took a shot with Tebow.

I just don't agree that one decision had anything to do with the other, other than it's evidence that perhaps McDaniel's had no good choices. BTW I have no idea if he did.

It does not go out the window. Tebow was a bad choice and I am not the biggest McDaniel's fan, but I understood his thinking. Cutler seemed a problem in nearly every situation throughout his career. Why would it be unreasonable that McDaniel have quickly recognized this? Tebow was a bottom first round pick (25th). Maybe McDaniel thought he was coachable enough to make up for other weaknesses. Obviously he was wrong, but for much less risk BB even took a shot with Tebow.

I just don't agree that one decision had anything to do with the other, other than it's evidence that perhaps McDaniel's had no good choices. BTW I have no idea if he did.
So Josh gets credit for recognizing what Cutler would become but gets no blame for failing to see Tebow was the worst QB prospect to be drafted in the first round? You can’t have it both ways. As for Cutler, Josh got there and immediately started to shop him. By immediately I mean a couple weeks after he got there it was floated out there they were looking to trade him. So without ever having seen the guy in practice Josh wanted him gone. Seems to me he made the move to put his stamp on the team not because he knew Cutler would end up the way he did.

Cleveland Browns News: Looks like Freddie Kitchens is in future plans

"There’s been much talk and speculation about the Cleveland Browns plans at the head coach position — and they’re doing their due diligence on that front as they’ve had several interviews completed and many more lined up. They also have a guy on staff who seems to be a hot name around the league.

Several teams have asked to speak to offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens about vacant coordinator positions, which makes sense considering how well he did in the final eight games of the season after taking over for Todd Haley. And to date, the Browns have been blocking those requests."

I meant mostly as a Head Coach in hiring, and/or retaining people who know what they're doing.

However, McD became the Pats' QB Coach in 2004 under Weis, and his official title with the Pats beginning in 2006 has been, "OC and quarterbacks coach". BoB held that title during McD's "wandering in the wilderness phase".

Since the Pats haven't had anyone else designated (besides BoB) as "QB Coach" since 2004, I'm assuming that means that McD was the hands-on guy with Cassell, JimmyG, Brisset, etc.

My guess is that the fact that McD has worked directly with Brady for most of the past 14 years might also give him some respect and credibility from Mayfield.

It’s Highly Unlikely the Cleveland Browns Keep Gregg Williams as Their Head Coach

"The basis of my thinking comes from the fact that, while he got first dibs in the interview process, the Browns have since gone on to meet with additional candidates. They’ve spoken to interim Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski, as well as former Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell. They’re set to interview New Orleans Saints tight ends coach Dan Campbell Friday, and recently-fired Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy next week."

FWIW, we don't even know if McD had final say in the drafting of Tebow. With most other teams, the GM or the owner have final say in the drafting of QBs and first rounders. I mean, do you think that Hue Jackson drafted Mayfield? Do you think he had any input at all?

It’s Highly Unlikely the Cleveland Browns Keep Gregg Williams as Their Head Coach

"The basis of my thinking comes from the fact that, while he got first dibs in the interview process, the Browns have since gone on to meet with additional candidates. They’ve spoken to interim Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski, as well as former Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell. They’re set to interview New Orleans Saints tight ends coach Dan Campbell Friday, and recently-fired Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy next week."

That's not to say that the Browns wouldn't want/try to keep Williams as their DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes