PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The Case for Eliot Wolf to be Elevated to General Manager in Front Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah super glad Eliot Wolf has been involved this year in a big way. Funny you have crazies here trying to downplay his role as possibly a secretarial function. They are John Carroll lackeys.

I will say it's incredibly obvious the draft strategy is very different this year. People can get upset at the notion that Elliot has a big role now in the process...but I for one like this draft.

Everyone does trust me lol. Take a breather. Everyone knows he's a troll and just wants attention.

Some people really don't know what they're talking about as mean as it sounds. It shouldn't, I'm not a mechanic or financial guru or w/e so I'd never try to grow my weight around in those respects but w/e. Sports brings it out with a lot of people though.

Just scroll past or ignore him. You're not missing anything.

Makes sense to me. Truth is that no one knows what input anyone in the organization is giving to Belichick, and ultimately he calls the shots, so assigning either credit or blame to his advisors only makes sense if you know who gave what advice, and we don’t. Could be that Eliot Wolf is a great judge of talent and a great asset, or he could be a decent front office guy but nothing special, we have no way of knowing.

I will say it's incredibly obvious the draft strategy is very different this year. People can get upset at the notion that Elliot has a big role now in the process...but I for one like this draft.
No one is upset by this idea, why would they be, we don’t even know his role in the process. And most here are very happy with this draft, so if they come out and say “ Eliot Wolf really did a great job stacking our draft boards “ then pretty much everyone will credit him for that, just as they will say he sucks if they have bad drafts and he is the one evaluating the picks. But we don’t have any idea who is doing what, and until we do assigning credit or blame makes no sense, unless it’s directed at Belichick, because ultimately he makes the calls.

DKF is using a straw man argument that people are against Eliot Wolf, when in truth we simply said we don’t know what his role and input is, If you don’t believe me just go through the thread and look for arguments knocking Wolf, you won’t find them, only posts mocking DKF for pretending he knows what is actually going on inside the Patriots front office.

Please explain what was different?

Typical Pats draft imo.

Typical Pats draft imo.
Agree.

Only thing different is they drafted a QB with the 1st pick.

Maybe the process, methodology and collaboration was different by the types of players they chose were exactly the same

Typical Pats draft imo.
The only difference is for one reason or another, the Pats internal draft board appeared to be more closely aligned with online fan consensus this year. It could just be a pure coincidence, or maybe a product of the uncertainty caused by COVID on the player evaluation process. Tavon Wilson (a guy who's still active going into his 10th NFL season) seems to have claimed real estate in a lot of Patriots fans' heads and now we judge every draft class and every draft selection with that in mind.

Typical Pats draft imo.
This is probably BS but I get your point...

"Robert Kraft says New England Patriots changing approach to NFL draft after recent misses contributed to free-agent spending spree."

i would say the entire approach to this off-season was different, but it was also set up by the approach to the previous off-season, where they let many key players walk, and reset their cap situation, They were much more aggressive in free agency and were able to address need in the draft without giving away the future. Overall this is as good an off season as I have seen them have, but we won’t know if it works until we see the results on the field. Buffalo is the Division champ and both Miami and the Jets have improved this off-season, but the Patriots are a very different team going into this season than they were the last. I’m really interested in seeing how they stack up?

"Robert Kraft says New England Patriots changing approach to NFL draft after recent misses contributed to free-agent spending spree."

I think the “different approach” is because they were in “different circumstances”. Just like the approach to free agency was different.

I think this is exactly why so many are saying the process changed, but in truth we really have no idea what they changed up in their process. Most here like the results, but I have no idea what they did differently,

I think the “different approach” is because they were in “different circumstances”. Just like the approach to free agency was different.
I agree...deffo a different approach.

Agree.

Only thing different is they drafted a QB with the 1st pick.

Maybe the process, methodology and collaboration was different by the types of players they chose were exactly the same

Well you can say it's been the same system but the draft results have obviously been different from 2001-2004 (good), 2005-2008 (poor), 2009-2012 (good), 2013-2020 (poor). And an association with different people in the draft room. (Reese, Pioli, Wolf for good. John Carroll dimwits during the bad).

Patriots having a nice draft so far. Glad Eliot Wolf is heavily involved, this guy should be elevated over Ziegler. Here is Eliot Wolf arranging the trade for Barmore before giving Belichick the thumbs up in the War Room.

That clip was 2 full seconds of Wolf on the phone giving an extremely brief thumbs-up. How is that evidence Wolf is some GM mastermind and should be promoted?

I really don't think one can be more agenda-driven and disinterested in facts/objectivity than you have been in your crusades against McDaniels and your propaganda campaign for Wolf.

Day 1 and day 2 were absolute 100 percent killer!

day 3, we gradually drifted back to head scratcher mode!

That clip was 2 full seconds of Wolf on the phone giving an extremely brief thumbs-up. How is that evidence Wolf is some GM mastermind and should be promoted?

I really don't think one can be more agenda-driven and disinterested in facts/objectivity than you have been in your crusades against McDaniels and your propaganda campaign for Wolf.

Belichick himself said in yesterday's press conference it was Wolf on the trade. He said a month ago Groh, Wolf, Ziegler, Patricia were heavily involved. Stop being silly. Two points that generate resistance are deniers who pretend the Pats haven't been terrible at drafting since 2013 despite Kraft saying so as well. Point 2 is the draft is clearly better with new different voices. Sorry if the deniers continue to be wrong. Bottom line the Patriots are better with the changes despite people here claiming the 2013-2019 drafts were awesome, that the Pats have been good at drafting WR or CB, or any other crazy homerism. The team recognizes the points and changes have been made.

Well you can say it's been the same system but the draft results have obviously been different from 2001-2004 (good), 2005-2008 (poor), 2009-2012 (good), 2013-2020 (poor). And an association with different people in the draft room. (Reese, Pioli, Wolf for good. John Carroll dimwits during the bad).
1) I disagree with your years/draft eval.
2) You have no correlation to GM to years

This thread is well past its expiration date (four months old) and has predictably become rotten. On top of that the OP has begun a nearly identically themed thread (NBC Article on Patriots Draft Strategy); therefore this thread will be closed and anyone who cares to can continue the conversation in that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back