PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clearly I have too much time on my hands, but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick Cassario is not going to the Browns with John Dorsey around. Kitchens may go, but Dorsey is unlikely to be fired.
Do you think Dorsey is going to survive this. Kitchens is HIS man. All the crackpot players are HIS guys. If Kitchens goes, so should Dorsey, ESPECIALLY if it would mean McDaniels would come. I think he and Casserio as a package deal. Give Josh someone he KNOWS he can work with.

Browns ownership is meddlesome and awful. Roster talent or no, it's a bad job.

QUESTION
Of the coaches on OFFENSE, who would go with Josh to CLE? My guess is that Josh wouldn't rock the boat too much on the defensive side of the ball.

SIDE ISSUE
Who will be the future coaches on OFFENSE for the patriots? Belichick has the present and future set on DEFENSE.
Who would have thought that would be the situation after Flores' departure and the pack of defensive staff who followed him?

Josh has had about 5 chances to go to Cleveland over the last few years. I don’t know why he would change his mind now.

Baker is no longer a draw. He’s a huge liability. A mouthy, arrogant, know-it-all who doesn’t even have great skills.

His mouth is writing checks his play can't cash

I don't think much more highly of Mayfield than either of you do but I will give him props for the way he conducted himself in his on field interview after that clusterf--k Thursday night. I'd never have guessed he had it in him. Tomlin was at least smart enough to just keep it to 'no comment' post game. Kitchens on the other hand looked like a damn fool and how could anyone in that (dis)organization have allowed Garrett to be interviewed in the locker room? After his lone game here the Pats got AB out of the room before the press got in and he's considerably more of a handful to deal with than Garrett.

The Cleveland fish rots from the head.

Last edited:
With all the talk about the Miles Garrett situation and how horrible the Cleveland operation is these days (from top to bottom), it got me thinking about a 2020 scenario that made me sad.

I could see Josh McDaniels and Nick Cassario BOTH going home to Ohio and taking on the Cleveland Browns. It simply makes too much sense. Josh is the guy who can discipline the raw talent that is Baker Mayfield and run a competent offense with more talent that he's EVER had here.

Nick is free to leave, but does he REALLY want to go to the draft depleted Texas, or rather go home with his best friend and have even a better roster to start with. He knows how to build a team and he can bring the Brown the FA/NFL scouting that the Pats do so well. They both have the skills to turn that talent into a TEAM

With Bill talking about coaching into his 70's and Mayo and his other son Steve knocking on the door to be future HC's in four or 5 years, does he really want to wait? The Browns would be a PERFECT job for these 2 friends to go home to Ohio and be the pair to FINALLY brings Cleveland Browns fans into the promised land.

Like I said it makes just too much sense. So it probably won't happen. ;)
Dorsey seems too entrenched as GM

Dorsey seems too entrenched as GM

Based on what? Dorsey's less than 2 years at the helm? Haslam's long record of loyalty to his subordinates?

If anything Dorsey's employment history in the big chair would indicate he should be moving on soon. The guy wears on people quick and Haslam has an itchy trigger finger, not exactly a great match.

Last edited:
Why didn't BB stay as HC of the NYJ? He was very clear at his press conference - the ownership situation was up in the air and he was uncomfortable with it.

Now I'm not saying that other factors didn't play a role, but I do think BB was telling the truth and that ownership mattered. A lot.

Remember how BB coached the Browns for 5 years and was cut off at the knees by Art Modell in his 5th year. All that work, just gone. Because the guy in charge had taken a $25K investment, racked up over $100 million in debt and needed a bailout.

The current Browns ownership has proven incompetent in its choices. (It's still hard to believe an NFL team can go 1-31 even if they're trying to do that - which they weren't!) If there's anything that Josh McDaniels should have learned from BB it's that you want to stay far, far away from incompetent ownership.

I believe that Josh has heard and understood that message. I'd be shocked if Josh willingly put himself in that situation.

It's not about the talent. It's not primarly about the QB. For the long term, it's about the ownership.

Those teams with good ownership do well over the long term. Those that don't, flounder around. Look at the Jets. Look at the Browns. Look what has happened to the Redskins after their glorious run in the 80s since the ownership change.

Stay away. Stay far away. Don't be fooled by the flash of talent, the potential of a star QB or the prospect of being THE MAN who rebuilt a winner. Recognize that long term success starts at the top - and that the top is not the head coach.

Baker is no longer a draw. He’s a huge liability. A mouthy, arrogant, know-it-all who doesn’t even have great skills.
Nothing wrong with Mayfield's skills. He's too damn short. It's like what would have happened if they'd tried the Squirrel at QB. He has to roll out on nearly every play or get swatted down at the line. Really limits what the team can do offensively.

The Doug Flutie era is over. Athletes are too tall and too athletic for a five-foot-nothing QB to be able to play at an elite level these days.

I’d actually be interested in this poll result: when BB retires (let’s say 2025) who would you rather replace him, given only current knowledge of their coaching abilities: Josh or Steve?

Two years ago I’d say Josh but now I’m not so sure...
I've never wanted McD as the HC here. OC seems to be McDaniels' peak level, I don't want him having any input on D because even with great personnel that didn't end well the last time it was tried.

Nothing wrong with Mayfield's skills. He's too damn short. It's like what would have happened if they'd tried the Squirrel at QB. He has to roll out on nearly every play or get swatted down at the line. Really limits what the team can do offensively.

The Doug Flutie era is over. Athletes are too tall and too athletic for a five-foot-nothing QB to be able to play at an elite level these days.

Brees and Wilson are both shorter than Mayfield, they've done okay.

Josh and Nick would gut the organization. I don't see Haslem wanting that.

I don't see them firing Dorsey. He's up-leveled the talent there.

Kitchens is awful. He is so not ready to lead THAT young of a team.
I don’t think Kitchens is ready to lead any team.

Mayfield spends to much time basking in glory that doesn't exist...then honing his craft.

Can you play the position? That's literally all that matters. I could make just a good of a case of the opposite being true. Tall/huge QBs are awful the majority of the time.

We've seen countless "tall/big" QBs that can't play & get hurt just as easily as anyone else.

Idk when it started but look at the best QBs ever & they're mostly 6'1-6'4.

I always hear things like height helps them see the field better. I never played a down in my life but have been fortunate enough have that example played out irl a few years back at a local college when I was going back & forth w someone abt this subject. They laughed me off before I could get in there. I'm 6'4 & thought my height would help & its miniscule at most.

You're talking about lining up behind giants for the most part (both OL/DL) & dropping back at depth.

Its all about pocket awareness, being prepared & staying calm under pressure.

Last edited:

Mayfield is listed at 6' 1".

Posters handle says it all,Tony.
How tall is Mahomes? Brees?
Montana,Young etc.
As Bacondude pointed out, not really an advantage to be 6'4"+ at QB. Ol and dl are mostly taller than that plus QB has dropped back. I've heard Brady say he can't usually see over linemen.
Christ even Jackson is only 6'2'.
As for athletic? Lol simpleton must've never played sports. Usually the taller you are the LESS athletic you are.
Even in the NBA, point guards and 2 guards are hands down the best athletes.
As a point guard I abused anyone 3"+ taller than me. Too quick for em.
In the nfl cbs,wrs and rbs are by far the best athletes as a group. If you averaged all their heights it'd be very close to 6' even.
Mayfield's height is not his problem.

9452926.gif

Possible counters:

" He plays shorter"

" His athletic processing is that of a 5'-8" QB"

" His arms are abnormally short. They called him B-Rex in college"

That's all I've got.

Possible counters:

" He plays shorter"

" His athletic processing is that of a 5'-8" QB"

" His arms are abnormally short. They called him B-Rex in college"

That's all I've got.

"That 50¢ head draws his arms in"

Ken I love you but it is insane to say that Josh would have "more talent that he's EVER had here."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back