PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If this is Bill’s last season as HC, who do you want as a replacement?

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
It will absolutely be a thought worth discussing.

First of all: I hope that, for the love all things holy, Kraft stays as far away as possible from the following 3 names:

Patricia
McDaniels
BOB

No more recycling the same regime. If you’re moving on from BB, don’t go back to the same tree and expect different results. You’re better off keeping Bill.

I’m also hesitant on hiring Mayo, but not quite as hesitant. He may be in the BB tree, but I think he would be more willing to adapt to change. He’s very young as a coach, and I could also see him being very willing to delegate out personnel decisions. He’s the one internal hire I wouldn’t hate.

Outside of that, what names would we be looking at? For me, the most intriguing assistant names I see out there right now:

Ben Johnson, OC Detroit: he has been incredible running that offense. I think Dan Campbell will miss him dearly once he leaves.

Bobby Slowik, OC Houston: he is doing amazing things with a very inexperienced offense. Also comes from the McVay tree, which has a high success rate.

Frank Smith, OC Miami, Ken Dorsey, OC Bills: more guys from a successful coaching trees. Would really be a nice move to snag someone from one of our rivals.

Brian Flores: DC Minnesota: if there is a defensive coach to hire, maybe bring Flores back in? He was honestly pretty good in Miami before things became weird there. Wouldn’t mind pairing him with a young OC.

List of candidates who could be fired or leave their current roles:

Mike Vrabel: I’m not really a fan of this one, but I could see him bring a candidate, going back to his NE roots.

Ron Rivera: This is one I’m not interested in. He’s been a great coach, but I think he’s getting past his prime.

Matt Lafleur: I doubt he gets fired, unless this season goes way downhill for them. But if he was available, I’d definitely take a look.

Sean McVay: another one that I doubt gets fired now. He’s honestly doing an amazing job this year with limited resources. I think it’s more likely he steps away altogether from coaching than he is to leave, and take another job.

Kevin Stefanski: he honestly had a great start to his coaching career, but seems like he’s in a toxic situation in Cleveland. Likely gets canned if they miss the playoffs this year. I could see him being more successful elsewhere.

John Harbaugh: if they missed the playoffs, would he finally be fired? It’s not impossible, although not likely. But of course, let’s be real: even if he was available: f*** this guy.

college HC candidates: Most college coaches that would be worth a look at becoming an NFL HC are ones that will likely never leave their role. Guys like Saban, Smart, and Day are pretty broken into their positions. There are two names to watch here:

Jim Harbaugh/ Lincoln Riley: Both are in very cushy roles that would take a perfect situation to leave. But if we are bad enough the rest of the season to stumble into the top pick, and are in a spot to draft Caleb Williams, it would become way more realistic.

A young, innovative offensive coach that uses modern analytics but is not totally beholden to them.

I don't know who, exactly, that is but that's the type of guy I want.
Basically, just don’t be a Brandon Staley.

Hire a coach that refuses to punt on fourth down. I joke but part of me would respect the boldness. Win or go down in flames lol.

Young OCs that are getting results without players who are human "cheat codes." Rules out the Miami and Buff OCs. Very intrigued with the results in Detroit and Houston though.

Steve Belichick.

I want to see this place
atomic bomb explosion GIF

Young OCs that are getting results without players who are human "cheat codes." Rules out the Miami and Buff OCs. Very intrigued with the results in Detroit and Houston though.
What Slowik is doing in Houston is extremely impressive. Keep in mind that his HC is a defensive coach.

What Slowik is doing in Houston is extremely impressive. Keep in mind that his HC is a defensive coach.
Equally impressed with Johnson helping turn Goff's career. Which has gone on for a few seasons now, so there's a bit more meat to his success than Slowik's handful of games with Stroud.

Equally impressed with Johnson helping turn Goff's career. Which has gone on for a few seasons now, so there's a bit more meat to his success than Slowik's handful of games with Stroud.
Very impressed there too. But Detroit does have amazing personnel on offense, and we have seen previous spurts of Goff playing at a quality level.

But ultimately you can’t penalize a coach for having good personnel. He is maximizing out that talent. Plus, the Lions aren’t exactly working with “cheat code” level players like Miami is. It’s more filled with above average to very good players at each position.

Good list. But find a GM first and he can't be both HC and GM.

Which brings up an interesting secondary question: Who do you want for the next GM?

I don't know enough names in this field to list them, but I would say if there's a young right-hand man to either of the GM's in Philly or San Fran, they might be worth trying to poach. I'm also not opposed to keeping Matt Groh, as I think he definitely has a different view of things from Belichick, but obviously has to yield the final say.

But my first choice would be some fresh outside perspective.

(Well, my FIRST first choice would be this team turns it around miraculously and we salvage the season, but just speaking in this hypothetical situation).

As a side note, I think BB jumped the shark as a leader when he said this golden nugget last year. You can't inspire others to work hard when you basically throw your hands up and say something is too hard to do. I understand why he said it, but HOW he said it was baaaaad.

"I think we need to do what we're doing better. I don't think at this point making a lot of dramatic changes; it's too hard to do that," Belichick said

The thing is that a good offensive coordinator doesn't necessarily make for a good head coach. At first glance I feel like Ben Johnson would be great but do we really have any idea if he'd be a good fit to lead the entire organization? It's a roll of the dice in that regard. I agree though, we need some offensive creativity.

Which brings up an interesting secondary question: Who do you want for the next GM?

I don't know enough names in this field to list them, but I would say if there's a young right-hand man to either of the GM's in Philly or San Fran, they might be worth trying to poach. I'm also not opposed to keeping Matt Groh, as I think he definitely has a different view of things from Belichick, but obviously has to yield the final say.

But my first choice would be some fresh outside perspective.

(Well, my FIRST first choice would be this team turns it around miraculously and we salvage the season, but just speaking in this hypothetical situation).
Ideally? John Dorsey.

1697138435824.png

We MUST have a new GM, a GM who though he will consult with the HC - whoever that may be - will have the standing amd Moxie to act and think independently. Given that Bill unlikely to acquiesce in having the sort of 100% independent GM they must have, a GM at least coequal on the organizational chart with Bill himself, they also most likely will need a new HC as well.

I think we must identify the new GM ASAP. Many decisions pertaining to the rebuild must be acted upon or at least thought over in the very near term, and we frankly do not want Bill making those decisions.

The chalk choice for HC, I suppose, is Mayo. To be honest, I have my doubts: 1) To what extent would he represent a continuation of the Belichickean approach, an approach which must be subject beginning now to very close scrutiny with a real option of tossing away any aspects shown to be outdated or otherwse ineffective? 2) In a complete rebuild, you must have all options open, including choosing to go with someone other than the HC-in-waiting, if that is what Mayo is, 3) I would prefer an offensive coach. 4) Mayo seems quite low-key. "managerial." Do we need someone with more zip, passion, voltage, passion?

I cannot claim to have enough familiarity with the options to have a worthwhile opinion on whom we ought to choose but I do think we need energetic, up-to-the-minute candidates. Though I do understand the value of experience, I do not think this is a time for "old, experienced hands." There is somethihg of a generational change afoot in the NFL. I want us to be on the right side of that shift, for both HC and GM.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back