PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"It Is What It is"

The guy is going to be 32 in a month. He has played a full season just once in the last four years. He is going into his 12 season and he has a long history of injuries. He ain't going to be around much longer.

And WRs can hit the age wall hard and fast. Look how fast Randy Moss fell apart. He had 1264 yards and 13 TDs in 2009. In 2010, he had 393 yards and 5 TDs and ended up on three teams that year because he sucked so bad.

This team is going to be a 6-7 win team unless they kill it in the draft. I mean three or four starters who make an impact. This team is at least a year or two away from even competing for a playoff run. We don't even know who the QB is and even if they draft Maye or Daniels, they would be smart to sit the rookie they draft for a year.

Losing isn't part of the long term plan. Building a perennial contender is even if it means sacrificing a year or two to get there. Allen is a short term fix. The Pats want to think long term. I would rather have the fourth round pick.

This team WAS a 4 win team and has only lost pieces. Our O-line is in worse shape, our receivers are in worse shape, our QB is a career backup. Zeke's gone, bourn has a rebuilt knee, pop got TWO concussions, we have no LT, our RT doesn't want to play RT, he want's to play guard, our LG apparently almost had a career ending leg injury last year.

Everyone else got a year older.

This is a 2 win team unless they crush it in the draft, and then it MIGHT be a 6 win team.

I can say they won't.
They won't.

You let Keenan Allen go for a 4th round pick, Peoples-Jones sign for the vet minimum, Tyron Smith signs for essentially $6 million. None of them are coming here. They're not trading for anyone. Keeping that cap space to roll it over just to do the same thing again next year and year after, until Wolf becomes the fall guy. Can't wait.

A fourth rounder is more important to this team than Keenan Allen. The Patriots would have been stupid to trade a fourth for about to be 32 year old Allen.

Smith said he wanted to go to a team with a shot at the Super Bowl this year. He was never coming to a team without an established top QB and a talented roster. But that is because he only has a year or two left.

Peoples-Jones is coming off an injury season where he sucked when he played. He went back to a very good offense to try to rehab his career and hopefully cash in next year in free agency. Besides, the guy had one decent season. He wasn’t a marquee free agent.

Looks like the Bears are putting together an offense that a rookie QB could succeed with.

What a concept.

The Bears know that they must get better to stay on the field with the Lions and Packers. The Pat's are happy to keep it close and not ruin that 2025 draft position. Save that cap money for a rainy day. Bagdad Bob is running his team like Walmart.

The Bears have been putting together this offense for years because they suck. They already have a near elite #1 WR in DJ Moore on their roster. Keenan Allen is going to be their #2 WR. They are going to draft what is considered a generational QB at #1. They also have the 9th pick where they could draft another immediate impact starter. The Bears are where we hope the Pats will be in a year or two. They are not in the same spot as the Patriots.

This team WAS a 4 win team and has only lost pieces. Our O-line is in worse shape, our receivers are in worse shape, our QB is a career backup. Zeke's gone, bourn has a rebuilt knee, pop got TWO concussions, we have no LT, our RT doesn't want to play RT, he want's to play guard, our LG apparently almost had a career ending leg injury last year.

Everyone else got a year older.

This is a 2 win team unless they crush it in the draft, and then it MIGHT be a 6 win team.

It is a week into free agency. I said I will not judge this team until after the draft.

And Owenu will play wherever they tell him. He wouldn’t have re-signed if he didn’t want to play RT because there is a possibility he plays there.

And Brissett is an upgrade over what Jones and Zappe gave the Pats last year. Not a high bar there.

And I don’t care what the record is next year as long as they start to add pieces in the draft for the future. This not an overnight rebuild. It is at best a 2-3 year rebuild. It could be longer. People need to get used to the fact the Pats are going to suck next year no matter what they do and what really matters for next year is that they start to develop a young core of players for the future.

Even if the Pats were active in free agency, there is little chance they would be like the Texans were last year. The Texans were good last year not only because they got Stroud, but they had several years of good draft where the players started to come into their own. Look at Nico Collins. He went for a 400 yard receiver to a north of 1,200 yard receiver. Jonathan Greenhard had 12.5 sacks last year after having 10.5 sacks his first three years combined. That is what the Pats have to do.

They probably aren't, but you cannot say they won't. But it doesn't change the fact that I don't want to give away a fourth round pick for a 32 year old Keenan Allen.

But bad teams get top free agents every year.

Yep, just look at the Jets. Le'Veon Bell. Late-period Darelle Revis. Santonio Holmes. Trumaine Johnson.

For some recent and not-so-top signings, Alan Lazard and Mecole Hardman stand out.

A lot of the posts in this thread remind me of last year's OBJ thread.

Damn, just say no!

I can say they won't.
They won't.

You let Keenan Allen go for a 4th round pick, Peoples-Jones sign for the vet minimum, Tyron Smith signs for essentially $6 million. None of them are coming here. They're not trading for anyone. Keeping that cap space to roll it over just to do the same thing again next year and year after, until Wolf becomes the fall guy. Can't wait.

You're saying we should put resources into older players like Allen and Smith with notable injury histories? Why?

Spend the cap space once we have a good core. Adding older players just to sit in the tub isn't going to help anyone/anything.

it's obvious Krafty Bob knows his team has zero chance in the conference and he's playing a waiting game to spend $. I've said it before, this team is going nowhere other than MAYBE the wildcard round for the next 5 seasons until Mahomes, Allen, and Jackson retire and/or get a bad injury.
think of the current Pats as possibly being one of the AFC also rans during the Brady/Manning/Roethliesberger/Flacco era... every now and then you'd have Houston, Jacksonville, Miami, Cincinnati grab a WC, maybe win, and then get obliterated in the divisional round. That's the Pats best hope right now

Last edited:
It is a week into free agency. I said I will not judge this team until after the draft.

And Owenu will play wherever they tell him. He wouldn’t have re-signed if he didn’t want to play RT because there is a possibility he plays there.

And Brissett is an upgrade over what Jones and Zappe gave the Pats last year. Not a high bar there.

And I don’t care what the record is next year as long as they start to add pieces in the draft for the future. This not an overnight rebuild. It is at best a 2-3 year rebuild. It could be longer. People need to get used to the fact the Pats are going to suck next year no matter what they do and what really matters for next year is that they start to develop a young core of players for the future.

Even if the Pats were active in free agency, there is little chance they would be like the Texans were last year. The Texans were good last year not only because they got Stroud, but they had several years of good draft where the players started to come into their own. Look at Nico Collins. He went for a 400 yard receiver to a north of 1,200 yard receiver. Jonathan Greenhard had 12.5 sacks last year after having 10.5 sacks his first three years combined. That is what the Pats have to do.
Agree with just about all of this. But would u go get a guy going into his 2nd contract who you think will be really productive here 3-5 years even if it’s an overpay?

They actually have spent a fair bit of money - albeit mostly on re-signing their own players:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back