PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discussion on Jerod Mayo candidacy as HC

Tells me they are the ones confident in themselves to be their own men. BoB doesn't come off as a Bill clone as well, IMO.
You said it! " their own man". Mayo IMO already shows that. How many of other coaches on that team would publicly state thier desire to be a HC in the league. If they did Bill would cut off the dunkin donuts gift cards he pays them for a salary. I hope it is Mayo as HC, if Vrabel is let go should consider him for DC.

Ok, so I am going to duck and cover in advance... What about Saleh as a DC? He most assuredly will be out in NY.
duck and cover documentary GIF by Kino Lorber

Ok, so I am going to duck and cover in advance... What about Saleh as a DC? He most assuredly will be out in NY.
Would he come here? I'd absolutely like him as DC.. but then again Mayo will likely promote some guys on the staff. Demarcus covington for example?

I'll add another theory to that.. if Mickey D comes back then Mac is here next season. What do u think?
@mike_usagisan

Was just a theory. Don't think Mickey D will come back here with Bill gone. If Vrabel is out in Tennessee I'd love him as DC. More importantly who's the new GM? Wolf? Groh? Some names I'd like to be considered are Rick speilman former Vikings GM or Mike Tannenbaum. Those guys can correctly identify offensive talent.

@mike_usagisan

Was just a theory. Don't think Mickey D will come back here with Bill gone. If Vrabel is out in Tennessee I'd love him as DC. More importantly who's the new GM? Wolf? Groh? Some names I'd like to be considered are Rick speilman former Vikings GM or Mike Tannenbaum. Those guys can correctly identify offensive talent.
I was just disagreeing that I think Mac is allowed back at this point. You could very well be correct, but I have a hard time seeing it.

Would he come here? I'd absolutely like him as DC.. but then again Mayo will likely promote some guys on the staff. Demarcus covington for example?
I dunno why he would, but I am assuming he's going to need a job and would want to take on a defense that's pretty good as opposed to a complete reclamation.

I was just disagreeing that I think Mac is allowed back at this point. You could very well be correct, but I have a hard time seeing it.
Yes of course I agree it's just Mac is damaged here as a player. It's best he go elsewhere where he can have a clean slate.

I dunno why he would, but I am assuming he's going to need a job and would want to take on a defense that's pretty good as opposed to a complete reclamation.
Sensibile. He's is definitely a great defensive coach. We don't need much on D.. a few peices up front and in the secondary.

The thing with Mayo is he's never had to be accountable in any way visible to outside observers. He had a sweet deal as co-DC, getting credit when the unit played well, while somehow the blame went to Steve when it didn't.

There was one report of an anonymous person "in Mayo's camp" saying Mayo did/does most of the coordinating. Ever since, I've seen him placed on some pedestal where he is above anything wrong with the team. You can't draw a line between him and anything that can be critiqued because of the ambiguous nature of his role to us outsiders.

He might well turn out to be a great coach but his whole candidacy seems built by PR spins from the team and "Mayo's camp." Just an extremely difficult candidate to evaluate as an outsider. It baffles me to see people make definitive judgements on him (be they positive or negative).

There are not a lot of great external candidates out there. Also I do not think the Patriots are an attractive destination. Following Bill is a tall task. I suspect Mayo will be the best option.

Im a fan. But we would need a very strong presence at oc such as jmd. The staff we have right now is certain to fail under mayo unless tb12 comes out of retirement and we trade for mike evans and chris godwin.

The thing with Mayo is he's never had to be accountable in any way visible to outside observers. He had a sweet deal as co-DC, getting credit when the unit played well, while somehow the blame went to Steve when it didn't.

There was one report of an anonymous person "in Mayo's camp" saying Mayo did/does most of the coordinating. Ever since, I've seen him placed on some pedestal where he is above anything wrong with the team. You can't draw a line between him and anything that can be critiqued because of the ambiguous nature of his role to us outsiders.

He might well turn out to be a great coach but his whole candidacy seems built by PR spins from the team and "Mayo's camp." Just an extremely difficult candidate to evaluate as an outsider. It baffles me to see people make definitive judgements on him (be they positive or negative).
Totally get what your saying. Curran reported mayo does everything except play calling duties. The reason why Steve b has the the play calling duties as it's all tied into the coaching credits. That's the only thing mayo doesn't do. Mayo if he Is the guy will develop his own coaching style and go through the transition like many 1st time HCs do. So we'll see in a month from now.

Im a fan. But we would need a very strong presence at oc such as jmd. The staff we have right now is certain to fail under mayo unless tb12 comes out of retirement and we trade for mike evans and chris godwin.
It's the unknown. Just like anyone else out there with say HC experience elsewhere. To come in and follow 2 great men in TB12 and Bill is a tall task for anyone. However I'm more concerned about getting the right QB and GM than HC.

why duck? Their defense is great

I don't know if we want to mess with the defense too much, it's pretty good and could be better next year, we need a lot of work on offense through the draft including a QB.

I know this has been discussed on this site all season, since Currans article a lot of the national shows are discussing, shoot I now have neighbors who aren’t football fans asking me.

Would anyone be surprised if Kraft kept Bill? Bob could keep him here to the end of his contract next season and Mayo takes over in 2025. Wouldn’t that be something.

I am way more concerned with a GM than HC. We have a multi generational opportunity to pick in the top 2-3 in the draft in April. While there are no guarantees with our pick and subsequest high picks each round, I want Bill nowhere near our war room on draft weekend. Over the past decade, he has been absymal and it's why this franshise is utterly bereft of talent on offence and currently bottom feeding the league with the usual suspects. We cannot afford BB the GM when April's draft comes around.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back