PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discussion on Jerod Mayo candidacy as HC

Steve102

Any Man Who Must Say I Am The King Is No True King
PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Given the Tom E Curran story that the Krafts decided to move on from Bill after the Germany game, I don't think it's too early to start talking about Jerod Mayo and his candidacy for the HC of the NEPs. I have started going thru things in my own mind and thinking why (and why not) he might be a good fit, and I didn't want to bury it in the "might as well bring Bill back" thread.

Pros:
Younger: by a lot, at 37. He'd be the youngest HC in the NFL, a month-ish younger than McVey, a full three years younger than McDaniel in Miami. I think coming from Belichick, going from the old guy to the young guy is going to be a breath of fresh air in the locker room, he's barely removed from playing age, there's still 9 guys on the roster in their 30s, so Mayo would be relatable.
Familiarity: The Krafts know Mayo better than any other candidate, IMO. Drafted in '08, retired after '15, and coaching here since '19. He has had his entire career here in Foxboro. Lives in North Attleboro, roots are in the area.
Race: Checks the boxes for the Rooney Rule. Possibly more in tune with current racial climes.
Media familiarity: Did Quick Slants with Curran. Fair bet to think he won't play the Belichick card re: media and be his own man.

Cons:
Experience: He has not been there, done that, like Bill had when he arrived here. Does not come with a boat named ______ Rings.
Limited exposure: He has not been anywhere but Foxboro, so the likelihood of him having a big network of guys to call on to coach and fill out his staff might be a problem. Could be a positive, not getting "Bill's guys".
Not a GM: If you hire Mayo, you most assuredly need to bring in a GM. I am assuming that the Krafts already have that guy lined up.
Not an offensive guy: I am not sure that matters to the Krafts as much as it matters here on PFs.

The youth thing is intriguing, but it is a double edged sword: He's relatable to the players, and brings a fresh outlook. A young guy could possibly end up having a "gee wiz" type moment we saw McVey have vs Bill in the Super Bowl. From my desk, I really wish he'd been anywhere else and had a non-Patriot experience somewhere. With that said, you have to figure he's going to be his own man. He's young enough to have his own thoughts on how to handle stuff, and old enough to recognize some of the things he liked and didn't like about how Bill runs things.

All this assumes that Mayo is only the HC. My bottom line is whoever the new GM is just as important, if not more so. If the Krafts brought in an offensive minded GM and if Mayo is a defensive minded coach (we assume he is), then the two of them would balance out. I think the GM hire is going to be the key going forward.

Last edited:
I think we have to go to the offensive minded HC route. You need a guy that will stay with the QB for multiple years. Not switching OC every year.

Almost all the best teams right now are coached by offensive minded HC. I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

I feel like we still don't know **** about Mayo outside of secondhand reports about how people feel about him. He was a great mind on the field, though, basically a tackling machine who played in coverage a LOT due to a **** secondary.

I like Mayo. Players seem to like him. Seems very intelligent, is respected, and have a "presence".

He could be the next great coach. He could suck.

I like Mayo. Players seem to like him. Seems very intelligent, is respected, and have a "presence".

He could be the next great coach. He could suck.
I wonder how the "following a legend" thing plays out? Think there's guys that say eff that, I am not following that guy.

Last edited:
Mayo can be Def Cor ass hc with a big salary but you need to keep your offensive coach, QB coach in place especially with a top rookie QB pick.

Another pro for Mayo would be keeping some continuity for a unit that has performed well. They already have to rebuild almost the entire offense, it would really be taxing to have to start over with a new defensive leader as well. And I wonder if he sticks around if he's passed over for HC here, so keeping him as DC may not be an option.

That said, you could conceivably promote Covington to DC as he's well versed in this defense and seems to carry a ton of respect with the players as well. And in general, I agree that an offensive HC is probably better, if nothing else to guarantee your next young QB is going to have the same system and voice in his ear throughout his formative years.

I think I'd be fine either way.

None of this stuff matters.

Remember that RK binkified BB back in 96 when he was a "consultant" here.

If he has done the same with Mayo, then he is the next HC.

I agree an O minded coach with a tough DC like Vrabel or Flores would be a better way.

You're a politician in real life aren't you Robert ;)

That's a great question and I'm glad you asked it. But the real question isn't, "Is RobertWeathers a politician?"... but really, "Shouldn't all politicians BE a RobertWeathers?" Next question.

I've said it before, but I'm not against it. I think a perfect pairing would be Mayo and an innovative OC, with the idea of also cultivating and creating continuity around him. That's something that was severely lacking here at the end of McDaniels' tenure, especially after he poached the staff. That needs to be a bigger priority (coaching development and continuity) for the next regime.

Last edited:
I wonder how the "following a legend" thing plays out. Think there's guys that say eff that, I am not following that guy?
Seeing how Bill is 3-10 it's a little easier as opposed to George Siefert in 89 following Bill Walsh after he beat Cinci to win his 3rd SB in 8 years.

Seeing how Bill is 3-10 it's a little easier as opposed to George Siefert in 89 following Bill Walsh after he beat Cinci to win his 3rd SB in 8 years.
I thought of exactly that as soon as I hit post.

Reactions: Ian
Another pro for Mayo would be keeping some continuity for a unit that has performed well. They already have to rebuild almost the entire offense, it would really be taxing to have to start over with a new defensive leader as well. And I wonder if he sticks around if he's passed over for HC here, so keeping him as DC may not be an option.

That said, you could conceivably promote Covington to DC as he's well versed in this defense and seems to carry a ton of respect with the players as well. And in general, I agree that an offensive HC is probably better, if nothing else to guarantee your next young QB is going to have the same system and voice in his ear throughout his formative years.

I think I'd be fine either way.
I really think that the folks that want a clean sweep are in for a rude awakening. I don't think RKK and Jonathan want to do away with everything they built, and Mayo does connect back to the winning years. He gives them an opportunity to be younger, fresher, while still having a connection to The Patriot Way. I could see that being important to them and not wanting to throw it all in the trash.

I really think that the folks that want a clean sweep are in for a rude awakening. I don't think RKK and Jonathan want to do away with everything they built, and Mayo does connect back to the winning years. He gives them an opportunity to be younger, fresher, while still having a connection to The Patriot Way. I could see that being important to them and not wanting to throw it all in the trash.
I think it's also possible that we may be in for more than one coaching and QB cycle as they figure this out. It's rare it all works out on the first try, so I feel like we might want to buckle up for some frustration ahead. This isn't going to be as smooth as I think most of us hope and given what we've seen around the league (and obviously, even here), I think we're in for a bumpy ride.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back