PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is It Time For Mayo To Be Our Head Coach Or To Move On

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

Mayo was interviewing for DC and HC jobs when the Kraft's basically paid him to stay: a new contract with a bonus. Mayo immediately stopped interviewing.

Folks guessed that he had been promised the HC position when Bill left.

I'm not suggesting any ultimatums by Mayo, not at all. However, I think that it is time for all again to come to agreeable terms.

Bill hasn't even made Mayo DC. After all, that would mean that one of his sons reported to Mayo instead of directly to him.
=========
The time has come. Mayo will again get offers. Obviously, he will be called for dozens of interviews. It is time for him to continue to grow in his coaching skills somewhere else.

Then, one or both of Belichick's sons would get well-deserved promotions, one to LB coach and the other to DC. Perhaps, Steve could only be DC for one of the defensive coaches reporting to a HC that we all know: Belichick or Vrabel (or Mayo).

This should work for all concerned, so matter who is GM and/or HC next year.

Mayo was interviewing for DC and HC jobs when the Kraft's basically paid him to stay: a new contract with a bonus. Mayo immediately stopped interviewing.

I'm not suggesting any ultimatums by Mayo, not at all. However, I think that it is time for all again to come to agreeable terms.

Bill hasn't even made Mayo DC. After all, that would mean that one of his sons reported to Mayo instead of directly to him.
=========
The time has come. Mayo will again get offers. Obviously, he will be called for dozens of interviews. It is time for him to continue to grow in his coaching skills somewhere else.

Then, one or both of Belichick's sons would get well-deserved promotions, one to LB coach and the other to DC. Perhaps, Steve could only be DC for one of the defensive coaches reporting to a HC that we all know: Belichick or Vrabel (or Mayo).

After this year's defensive performance, Mayo and Steve should get requests for interviews and take them whether they want out or not

=========

If anyone else gets brought in, I have a hard time seeing Mayo staying if he actually has suitors. The only way I could see it happening is if whatever HC gets hired retains Mayo and gives him some sort of promotion. If Mayo is as good as they say, it’s only a matter of time before he finds someone willing to take a shot on him. To your point, if we want to keep him around, it’s time to put up or shut up. Give the man the job, find a GM he can work well with and let him start putting together the staff sooner rather than later.

If Mayo is passed up, he needs to ask Bob to let him move on. He made an idiotic business move and he has nobody to blame but himself.

After this year's defensive performance, Mayo and Steve should get requests for interviews and take them whether they want out or not
Why do you think our defense was so great?

If Mayo is passed up, he needs to ask Bob to let him move on. He made an idiotic business move and he has nobody to blame but himself.
I’m not sure I follow. What was the idiotic move ? He made good money and his side of the ball was the only bright spot.

Why do you think our defense was so great?
I dont think it was great, but they were pretty damn solid all things considered. After all of the injuries, Jones drama, no real FS, they had no business being competitive even against the worst squads but yet they were.

I’m not sure I follow. What was the idiotic move ? He made good money and his side of the ball was the only bright spot.
He passed up a potential HC interview, which is not easy to get. He came back to NE with no new title such as AHC of DC and the team has taken a nosedive. Pats coaches under Bill have a horrible reputation.

He passed up a potential HC interview, which is not easy to get. He came back to NE with no new title such as AHC of DC and the team has taken a nosedive. Pats coaches under Bill have a horrible reputation.
The interview was with Carolina who picks # 1 next draft. The same Carolina whose owner throws his mixed drink into the crowd.

The interview was with Carolina who picks # 1 next draft. The same Carolina whose owner throws his mixed drink into the crowd.
That just happened. You can't take that offer for granted though. Given what just happened with McDaniels in LV, Owners may avoid Bill's assistants.

I dont think it was great, but they were pretty damn solid all things considered. After all of the injuries, Jones drama, no real FS, they had no business being competitive even against the worst squads but yet they were.
The D was above average. They blitzed a ton because they had to.

Last edited:
That just happened. You can't take that offer for granted though. Given what just happened with McDaniels in LV, Owners may avoid Bill's assistants.
The franchise seems like a mess.

What if Mayo went to meet them and they offered him the job?

Pete Carrol out as Seahawks HC.

Mayo needs to officially coordinate a defense here or somewhere else first and further establish himself.

Cross-posting from another thread:

He simply is not ready yet, he probably will be ready someday. But the Rooney Rule-prompted interview requests last year, combined with Kraft (naively) pumping him up, have created an unrealistic situation that could backfire badly on Mayo and the franchise.

I can understand Kraft's sentiments about Mayo but expressing them publicly was premature. He likely figured BB would comfortably surpass Shula's record, groom Mayo in the process then retire/ride off into the sunset. Then the 4-13 disaster occurred throwing a monkey wrench into the works, compounded by Vrabel coming available. If Mayo gets the job over Vrabel, Flores and a few other much more qualified candidates I will not be happy.

DC and Assistant HC: Yes. HC: Not yet.

Mayo needs to officially coordinate a defense here or somewhere else first and further establish himself.

Cross-posting from another thread:

He simply is not ready yet, he probably will be ready someday. But the Rooney Rule-prompted interview requests last year, combined with Kraft (naively) pumping him up, have created an unrealistic situation that could backfire badly on Mayo and the franchise.

I can understand Kraft's sentiments about Mayo but expressing them publicly was premature. He likely figured BB would comfortably surpass Shula's record, groom Mayo in the process then retire/ride off into the sunset. Then the 4-13 disaster occurred throwing a monkey wrench into the works, compounded by Vrabel coming available. If Mayo gets the job over Vrabel, Flores and a few other much more qualified candidates I will not be happy.
To your point, the Rooney Rule will again cause teams to call him, especially since even DC hires require minority external candidate interviews. There aren’t that many higher profile coaches that are minorities and that DC would technically be a promotion for than Mayo.

To your point, the Rooney Rule will again cause teams to call him, especially since even DC hires require minority external candidate interviews. There aren’t that many higher profile coaches that are minorities and that DC would technically be a promotion for than Mayo.

I didn't know the Rooney Rule extended to coordinators. I understand its intent but am skeptical whether the rule has ever resulted in hires that otherwise wouldn't be interviewed.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back