PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If it’s Jerod Mayo is the successor then just bring bill back

Tired Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

Hating on Mayo already. What the actual F.

Bill the coach has finally dipped off over the last two seasons, IMO.
Feels more like 4 years….since the Sham Newton experiment

I want Bill to stay, with an independent GM brought in, and celebrate his toppling of Shula’s coaching victory record.

The key is a GM who’s not a suck-up toady. Esp when draft time comes around in April.

It seems popular to say you need an offensive mind, but isn't scoring down pretty significantly the last two years? Bill's plan for a good defense and a game manager wasn't actually so bad -- just turned out the game manager couldn't manage games.

It looks like the best new head coach is demeco ryans of the texans, a defensive guy (admittedly one who has a good quarterback).

i wouldn't hold it against mayo that he's on the defensive side.

I don't know if Mayo would be just as bad as Belichick. It would definitely depend on whether he would be willing to get an innovative OC and let him run the offense the way he wanted. If he just takes Belichick's philosophy on offense, this team is likely never going to be a contender under him.

My biggest problem with Mayo becoming Head Coach is the thought of him keeping the majority of the current staff.

We need new blood & someone not trying to imitate Belichick. The Belichick coaching tree is not exactly impressive

Look Mayo may be a good coach but he won’t be the right fit here … the team needs a full reboot from uniforms to philosophy to coaches and players..it’s a long road ahead no super now for long time coming soon …u need a offensive minded coach for a new future.. but if it’s going to be Mayo just bring bill back and finish his contract out the man is 72 years old unfortunately the game has passed him by I don’t want Mayo to be a plug and play
I disagree.

Mayo could be an interim coach or a transitional coach, serving out the rest of the year, or perhaps through 2024. This gives the Kraft's time to get the GM they want, and for the GM to have some time to pick his coaches and management support.

It seems popular to say you need an offensive mind, but isn't scoring down pretty significantly the last two years? Bill's plan for a good defense and a game manager wasn't actually so bad -- just turned out the game manager couldn't manage games.

It looks like the best new head coach is demeco ryans of the texans, a defensive guy (admittedly one who has a good quarterback).

i wouldn't hold it against mayo that he's on the defensive side.
Let's be real. Bill would be easily in the playoff if he switched coaches with Texans.

Ryan is a good coach because he has one of the top QB's, even with their lack of talent.

Firing Bill and hiring Mayo is the move of an organization who can't let go of the past, they want to move on without actually moving on.

Let Mayo go and coach somewhere else if he's as good as people think let him prove it elsewhere, if you truly want change then clean house everyone gone and hire a god damn offensive mind.

If you hire Mayo and draft a QB any success and the OC is gone and you're going thru an OC cycle, pair a QB with an offensive minded head coach and bring this franchise a modern offense.

I feel like Mayo + a young innovative offensive mind would be a brilliant pairing. I don’t know why people think that all of a sudden every head coach needs to be an offensive guy. Not at all. They just have to be flexible enough to trust someone else who is more qualified to run it.

I also think Mayo probably has his own feelings about things that, like other guys on the staff, he can’t necessarily talk about. But I don’t think he’s as closed minded as people seem to think he is. He’s already been written off in quite a few threads (for some, in favor of Vrabel no less), which is definitely puzzling. :confused:

Firing Bill and hiring Mayo is the move of an organization who can't let go of the past, they want to move on without actually moving on.

Let Mayo go and coach somewhere else if he's as good as people think let him prove it elsewhere, if you truly want change then clean house everyone gone and hire a god damn offensive mind.

If you hire Mayo and draft a QB any success and the OC is gone and you're going thru an OC cycle, pair a QB with an offensive minded head coach and bring this franchise a modern offense.
An offensive coach is most likely going to be a guy who has already been an offensive coordinator anyway…so what’s wrong with just hiring a coordinator?

I’m not down on Mayo taking over if he can do the job right. Unlike most of the staff, Mayo’s unit has been very good and done everything needed to win.

Bill needs to go. If the Krafts like Mayo and think he has potential I’ll roll with it. I don’t think the issue is Mayo, it is the fact that we need at least an innovative offensive coordinator. I don’t put a lot of blame on O’Brien this season but he certainly hasn’t done much to work around the personnel deficiencies.

Other teams may be desperate for him ...
Yet we (who exactly is we?) are more than willing to move on from Bill.
Myself I think he is a positive commodity ... but needs ... greatly needs drafting help.

Always thought Mayo was the heir apparent to BB, which may or may not be true. Mayo is young and has witnessed everything that has gone wrong with this team from an inside perspective, which gives him an edge. He also seems to be held in high esteem by other teams or they are just following the Rooney Rule??
He could only be successful with a brilliant front office and completely revamping the coaches. Need a new strong, probably dual threat QB, then surround him with talent. So far this season have not been impressed with any aspect of this team, the whole thing needs to be blown up. This team is obviously woefully bad across the board, have not see a spark in any of what has gone on this year.

No his coaching is objectively a problem this year. The team simply isn't well coached, they get too many penalties, they blow assigments, special teams which is his baby is trash. People keep trying to say "oh the Bill the GM is failing Bill the coach". Bill the coach hasn't been anything special in awhile.

And no, one QB change isn't making this a good team. Anybody who thinks that is still desperately coping for a quick fix on a team that has foundational issues at this point in time and thinks we can flip a switch and go back to glory days.

Andy Dalton routinely had MUCH better teams than this one. He wasn't winning here. It's a cope
Competent QB play motivates a team like nothing else. Whether you want to believe it or not, motivation is a massive factor in performance even for professional athletes.

Look at the Chiefs; the change from one year to the next was significant just by switching from Smith to Mahomes. Yes we probably won't get somebody as good but then Smith was much better than Mac.

People tend to underestimate how important a competent QB can be.

The team has to feel they have very little chance back there because Mac is their QB.

Yes, the whole team makes mistakes, but when you give a man some hope, just a little sliver of hope, things will change quite a bit.

The players on this O-line are every bit as good as the guys who were here in Mac's 1st year or in Cam Newton's year. If they are playing poorly, it's not because we swapped out Isaiah Wynn for Sidy Sow.

This same team with a competent QB would be competing for the playoffs right (assuming everyone was healthy).

I acknowledge they don't have a #1 WR. But getting a competent QB, a good coach, and a #1 WR, are the 3 hardest things in football (followed by a shutdown CB).
It's not so hard but you need a little luck and Good Scouting. Everytime the Patriots missed on a WR others Teams do well that Harry year was a Good Year to Draft a WR and we took the guy who was the Worse fit. Some Teams hit on Third Round WR in that very Draft. That said we have Gonzo...Penix Jr. or Nix could fill that QB void one player at a time.

It's not so hard but you need a little luck and Good Scouting. Everytime the Patriots missed on a WR others Teams do well that Harry year was a Good Year to Draft a WR and we took the guy who was the Worse fit. Some Teams hit on Third Round WR in that very Draft. That said we have Gonzo...Penix Jr. or Nix could fill that QB void one player at a time.
Can Gonzo play WR too?

Mac Jones loser stench has permeated all aspects of this team.

It does not matter how few points the defense gives up because the offense is pathetic. Find a decent capable NFL caliber QB and this team can win again. Its appearing more and more that Kraft wanted Corky thumbsucker Jones.
This is what you have to admire about Belichick's methods.
When the QB is great he gets the credit for the pick and the wins.
When the QB is poor it was someone else who made the pick.
Was it Kraft who decided to move up to take a kicker?

In Mac Jones' first season here he looked decent but doesn't even look like the same QB now. And the magic question is why has Jones regressed to the point he has? Who can we blame for that?

An offensive coach is most likely going to be a guy who has already been an offensive coordinator anyway…so what’s wrong with just hiring a coordinator?
If the new OC has any success, he will get snatched up quickly by a team seeking an offensive minded HC.
It's the way of the league these days.
A team with a quality QB and ambitions of success should want to create long term continuity/synergy on offense and not have to replace OCs every other year.

Link======>>>

NFL teams with offensive-minded head coaches are more likely to succeed​

In Mac Jones' first season here he looked decent but doesn't even look like the same QB now. And the magic question is why has Jones regressed to the point he has? Who can we blame for that?
It's not a single point of failure. There's a lot of blame pie to go around. How you want to divvy that up, is up for debate. I'd give the biggest slice to BB since it's his job to put his players in the right place to succeed and to surround them with players to help them succeed.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back