PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discussion on Jerod Mayo candidacy as HC

I am way more concerned with a GM than HC. We have a multi generational opportunity to pick in the top 2-3 in the draft in April. While there are no guarantees with our pick and subsequest high picks each round, I want Bill nowhere near our war room on draft weekend. Over the past decade, he has been absymal and it's why this franshise is utterly bereft of talent on offence and currently bottom feeding the league with the usual suspects. We cannot afford BB the GM when April's draft comes around.

Plus, the defense that's returning next year, assuming guys get signed, can be really good. Why toss that?
Agreed. The defense with the guys who have had to step up, Jennings, Tavai, Mack Wilson Sr. To name a few have been excellent. Those guys needed the playing to time become better players. Having Mayo as HC makes all the sense. I'd assume GM duties would be Groh?

I am way more concerned with a GM than HC. We have a multi generational opportunity to pick in the top 2-3 in the draft in April. While there are no guarantees with our pick and subsequest high picks each round, I want Bill nowhere near our war room on draft weekend. Over the past decade, he has been absymal and it's why this franshise is utterly bereft of talent on offence and currently bottom feeding the league with the usual suspects. We cannot afford BB the GM when April's draft comes around.
Definitely! I'd have to think it's going to be Groh, as he's already in a personnel role. I believe Matt Groh is a good talent evaluation person, But Bill has had to say Ye or nay is what the problem has been.

I believe without Bill the personnel people can spread thier wings, and really get this team up to NFL standards with talent.

Do any of us have a clue what his contribution to coaching has been or the scope of his responsibility?

Steve seems to be the one on camera doing coaching stuff on game day. But maybe that's just cause he makes for good television with his terrible haircut and his funny faces.
As Curran mentioned. Mayo does everything on the defense save for calling the plays. He runs the meetings, sets the match ups, the game plan to attack an offense that week.

Do any of us have a clue what his contribution to coaching has been or the scope of his responsibility?

Steve seems to be the one on camera doing coaching stuff on game day. But maybe that's just cause he makes for good television with his terrible haircut and his funny faces.

I like Mayo. Players seem to like him. Seems very intelligent, is respected, and have a "presence".

He could be the next great coach. He could suck.
Nobody knows what he'll end up being. Not many thought that Bill would work out but he sure did. Maybe Mayo will too.

After some thought I wouldn't mind seeing a college guy come in here either. That could give the Pats a better feel for the players coming out. Carroll went through that when he first arrived in Seattle and maybe it could work here. The Pats need a solid, deep draft.

Yep.

If you talk to old school Cowboys fans they didn't have an issue with replacing Landry (as they had 3 tough years in a row) it was more about how he was replaced.

I still maintain it's time to move on from Bill but if Kraft treats him like poop i'll be pretty pissed.
I've never really believed that there was a rift between those two. They each benefitted greatly from the other's presence and I don't think it'll end badly.

Nobody knows what he'll end up being. Not many thought that Bill would work out but he sure did. Maybe Mayo will too.

After some thought I wouldn't mind seeing a college guy come in here either. That could give the Pats a better feel for the players coming out. Carroll went through that when he first arrived in Seattle and maybe it could work here. The Pats need a solid, deep draft.
Agree, Mayo will be a darling to the media, and he's not one to Hold back how he feels in a respectful way. As he publicly stated " I want to be a HC in the NFL ". I wish Bill would stop acting like it's not over. We the fans aren't stupid we know it's over. We absolutely need to get this draft right and get some impact players starting with the most position of all QB. I'm sure Mayo won't ruin this one.

While I agree to the premise of your post, hiring Mayo who largely has been under the BB tutelage while in the NFL, whether that's a player or a coach, sends a message that the next regime is in fact just a closer facsimile to the BB era than starting a new era.
Not necessarily. People in any job learn from their own as well as other people's mistakes. I had safety meetings every month for 40 years where we went over other people's mistakes. Mistakes that sometimes resulted in fatalities or horrific injuries. I guarantee that we all learned a lot from those mistakes. I'm sure it's the same with football coaches.

Agree, Mayo will be a darling to the media, and he's not one to Hold back how he feels in a respectful way. As he publicly stated " I want to be a HC in the NFL ". I wish Bill would stop acting like it's not over. We the fans aren't stupid we know it's over. We absolutely need to get this draft right and get some impact players starting with the most position of all QB. I'm sure Mayo won't ruin this one.
Sing along time.
All we are saaay-ing, is give him a chance.

Mayo may be a good leader of men, and rah rah, and maybe even D x's and o's...
But, we just have no idea. How many DC's under BB went on to be HC's and failed miserably - a lot.
Crennel, Mangini, Flores, Patricia.
DC's in NE get to ride BB's coattails. I like Mayo, but I don't think he's a good choice for HC next year IF they let BB go.

Give me somebody far away from the Belichick coaching tree if we do indeed move on from him.

How do you want him to act? He's still the HC of the NEP. You want him to throw in the towel?

How do you want him to act? He's still the HC of the NEP. You want him to throw in the towel?
I want him to get with the times. Show some Acknowledgement that this could be it. However I want to hit the power ball and that hasn't happened either..

Kinda strange how those BB Boys look nothing like their Dad they both have terrible mugs. :yuck: The younger one is on his way to looking like Humpty Dumpty Daboll.

I'd like to see a college guy come in with NFL exposure/experience

Kinda strange how those BB Boys look nothing like their Dad they both have terrible mugs. :yuck: The younger one is on his way to looking like Humpty Dumpty Daboll.
Have also noticed every coach maybe save for Troy and mayo.. sound just like Bill? Even groh who's pretty much a co- gm sounds just like him. It's like they are all a ventriloquist doll.

Have also noticed every coach maybe save for Troy and mayo.. sound just like Bill? Even groh who's pretty much a co- gm sounds just like him. It's like they are all a ventriloquist doll.
Tells me they are the ones confident in themselves to be their own men. BoB doesn't come off as a Bill clone as well, IMO.

Is Mike Vrabel Done in Tennessee?? I would like him.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back