PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDaniels Very Interested in the Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a no brainer. The future of this team is uncertain. No one knows how long Brady will be around for, no future QB on the roster, and Bill doesn't plan on retiring any time soon. As everyone says, the ownership here is by far better, but the Browns job is too tempting.
In all honesty I don’t think anyone can be sure how long BB will be here....but probably as long as Tom is here...then he will retire

so maybe he can blow them off and turn them into a playoff team

Cutler won't meet with Broncos after trade talk

Article from March 2nd 2009 discusses how Cutler was pissed that newly appointed coach Josh McDaniels was shopping him. So this article told me that.
The article was a RUMOR that was denied.

Now follow along here, as far as the hindsight being 20/20 aspect to the situation, Cutler was viewed by most as an up and comer. He had solid stats in 2007 and in 2008 he was a Pro Bowl alternate. One could reasonably surmise that good stats combined with getting good compensation for him would signal the fact that he was well regarded in 2009 when Josh got to Denver. Not sure why this is so difficult for you.

What is your point?
Perhaps some people regarded him highly. They were wrong.
McDaniels did not. He was right.
How in the world do you twist that into criticism of McDaniels?
Are you saying he should have ignored his personal evaluation and taken a poll of sportswriters?

I’m also not sure where you saw Josh told Cutler “he needed to improve”.
He made thise comments and cutler refused to speak with the team.

Based on what I said earlier Josh just wanted his own guy and it wasn’t as much about Cutler’s talent/lack of talent, it was that he didn’t want Shanahan’s guy. According to Cutler himself Josh told him that flat out he wanted Cassell because he was Josh’s guy.
This is wrong.

Meeting backfires; Cutler asks Denver for

As for your last barely legible paragraph, yes one could argue Josh knew that Cutler wouldn't turn out to be a great QB and got a good haul for him. Had Tebow or Cassell went on to have great careers then you could say “yea Josh saw Cutler was a bum” but in reality he got lucky that Cutler never took the next step and he didn’t actually know how to evaluate which quarterbacks would be good.
Wow.
McDaniel decided that he didn’t want cutler. Cutler proved that McDaniel was right.
McDaniel got lucky.
Wow.

Quarterbacks drafted after Tebow:

Jimmy Clausen
Colt McCoy
Mike Kafka
John Skelton
Jonathan Crompton
Rusty Smith

FA QB's in 2010

Kyle Orton (signed by Denver)
Matt Moore
Jason Campbell
Derek Anderson
Bruce Gradkowski
34 year old Marc Bulger and Chad Pennington
Jake Delhomme
Matt Leinart
Charlie Batch
David Carr
AJ Feeley

Not many options. You can say McDaniels over paid for Tebow, but there was really nowhere to go.

The article was a RUMOR that was denied.

What is your point?
Perhaps some people regarded him highly. They were wrong.
McDaniels did not. He was right.
How in the world do you twist that into criticism of McDaniels?
Are you saying he should have ignored his personal evaluation and taken a poll of sportswriters?

He made thise comments and cutler refused to speak with the team.

This is wrong.

Wow.
McDaniel decided that he didn’t want cutler. Cutler proved that McDaniel was right.
McDaniel got lucky.
Wow.
Okay then. None of it happened because you said so. Case closed.

How do you know?

Your contacts inside the walls of the Pat's front office.
A) it’s common sense
B) I have never claimed to have any contacts in the Pats front office or anywhere in the organization.
But I hear Jon gruden and you are tight :rolleyes:
C) why would that have anything to do with knowing a guy isn’t going to go on a packers board and know the assistant coaches that McDaniels is going to hire because he grew up in the same town 30 years ago.

Okay then. None of it happened because you said so. Case closed.
No the things that happened actually happened. The things that are speculated in an article and denied probably didn’t.
In any event McDaniels decision to move on from cutler has unquestionably proven to be smart.

Quarterbacks drafted after Tebow:

Jimmy Clausen
Colt McCoy
Mike Kafka
John Skelton
Jonathan Crompton
Rusty Smith

FA QB's in 2010

Kyle Orton (signed by Denver)
Matt Moore
Jason Campbell
Derek Anderson
Bruce Gradkowski
34 year old Marc Bulger and Chad Pennington
Jake Delhomme
Matt Leinart
Charlie Batch
David Carr
AJ Feeley

Not many options. You can say McDaniels over paid for Tebow, but there was really nowhere to go.
He drove out a guy who while not that great was better than any of that group.

No the things that happened actually happened. The things that are speculated in an article and denied probably didn’t.
In any event McDaniels decision to move on from cutler has unquestionably proven to be smart.
I really can’t even discuss this with you anymore. You saying things are false doesn’t make it so. It’s really not that important anyways.

I really can’t even discuss this with you anymore. You saying things are false doesn’t make it so. It’s really not that important anyways.
Nothing I said is false and you know that.

So it was never about sticking around to inherit the Pats head coaching job. He realized what a crack house organization the Colts were and that's why he changed his mind.
That organization just made the playoffs and has an elite QB?

He drove out a guy who while not that great was better than any of that group.

Agreed, but I can't blame a guy for going a different direction, when he's feels that direction can not lead him to a title.

Getting back to the title of this thread, I was listening to Cleveland Sports Talk today. They feel that, if McD is "extremely interested" in the Browns HC job, the interest may be one-sided. They cite the fact that the Pats have still not been asked for permission to interview McD and, with the Haslams still in charge and a strong GM, he may not have the freedom and control he would like to have. One thing I don't like is the Browns not letting their OC interview for HC jobs. The chances of him being strongly considered as their HC is, IMHO, slim and I don't think a new HC would like to have his OC already in place.

Agreed, but I can't blame a guy for going a different direction, when he's feels that direction can not lead him to a title.
It definitely takes balls to show up and bounce a 23 year old guy coming off a Pro Bowl (alternate) but I am sure that his personnel control will be affected with his next job.

Okay. I know that.
Ha. Anytime I see what appears to be someone arguing with themselves, I immediately know who’s on the other end.

Ha. Anytime I see what appears to be someone arguing with themselves, I immediately know who’s on the other end.
Lol I was unaware.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye