PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore out with concussion....from what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current situation occurs when you have special teams players who
cannot adequately play a position.

Having 2 of the best gunners in the league is more valuable to BB than a CB5/WR5. They lost 2 starting CBs. We'll see tomorrow if they can handle it. I'm not concerned.

Yeah, what the ****...?

Did he hit his head on the headboard of his bed this morning? Was he having symptoms and didn't attribute them to a concussion until recently, and then had testing done?

Good grief.
I really hope you arent questioning the guys toughness. Concussions are no joke

Should this guy even be needed to beat the darn Jets? Seriously though. This should be an easy win.

One is supposed to have backups able to play if there are 2 injuries. These players are usually on the Practice Squad.

Offense isn't going to be an issue with this team ( O-line aside). The D gave up 200 passing yards in one quarter..

I understand but when someone says an opponents offense could have done better if not for bad passes that same principle could be applied to our team as well. Our D is a work progress but it was a little bit better but if we mess up against the jets then it's ten steps backwards.

I really hope you arent questioning the guys toughness. Concussions are no joke

Not even slightly. Concussions are terrifying, I just didn't initially understand how one goes from entirely healthy to being ruled out with a concussion on a *Saturday*. It made no sense at the time, but I now figure he suffered the injury Friday and didn't fully realize the extent of the damage until Saturday.

Do we even have a CB on the PS?

They have 4 in David Jones, Jomal Wiltz, Ryan Lewis and Damarius Travis. Granted Jones and Travis are more safeties, but they have played in covered during their college careers.

I agree that it was a frustrating season, but many don't remember that both the offense (6) and defense (5) were both top six in points scored/allowed.

As a matter of fact:

Offense--6th in points, 3rd in yards
Defense--5th in points, 11th in yards

I think this is a good example of how stats don't always tell the whole story, but I always wonder what may have happened had Welker not gone down in that meaningless week 17 game.

I don't know Sup - am I recalling the wrong season? Was that the playoff game where the Patriots got trounced by the Ravens? If so it was the trenches where we got wiped out (so badly it wasn't even as close as the lopsided score). Again if I am recalling the right season I have a hard time seeing Welker or any non DL-OL player making a difference.

Does the NFL even have "independent" observers looking out for concussions at practice? Teams must always cover up practice time concussions so this seems suspicious that they aren't unless he is clearly zonked out.

The ship of covering up concussions that happen in practice has sailed a long time ago. Even though I am generally cynical when it comes to all of that in the case of head injuries the concussion settlement, CTE research and generally more informed players and coaches have been pretty serious about it all. It is no joke.

I don't know Sup - am I recalling the wrong season? Was that the playoff game where the Patriots got trounced by the Ravens? If so it was the trenches where we got wiped out (so badly it wasn't even as close as the lopsided score). Again if I am recalling the right season I have a hard time seeing Welker or any non DL-OL player making a difference.
Yeah, you're most likely correct about Welker being a non-factor in that game, but I can't help but wonder. It seemed like all of the air was taken out of the team once he went down. That's the year that we saw Belichick talking about how screwed we'd be if one of Moss/Welker went down during the documentary, and he was right.

The Ravens took the opening handoff and Ray Rice scampered for a long gain TD, so they jumped out with all of the momentum and never looked back. After that initial run though, the run defense settled down substantially. Andy Johnson has posted the numbers before which helped the dispel the notion that we got gashed in the trenches quite as bad as it appeared after the opening run, but I don't remember what they were.

The good news was that we saw what Julian Edelman could do as a receiver, as he was pretty much the highlight of an otherwise lousy performance. I think they doubled Moss and pretty much left him one on one with a lesser known CB, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, you're most likely correct about Welker being a non-factor in that game, but I can't help but wonder. It seemed like all of the air was taken out of the team once he went down. That's the year that we saw Belichick talking about how screwed we'd be if one of Moss/Welker went down during the documentary, and he was right.

The Ravens took the opening handoff and Ray Rice scampered for a long gain TD, so they jumped out with all of the momentum and never looked back. After that initial run though, the run defense settled down substantially. Andy Johnson has posted the numbers before which helped the dispel the notion that we got gashed in the trenches quite as bad as it appeared after the opening run, but I don't remember what they were.

The good news was that we saw what Julian Edelman could do as a receiver, as he was pretty much the highlight of an otherwise lousy performance. I think they doubled Moss and pretty much left him one on one with a lesser known CB, but I could be wrong.

Well at least I remembered the right season :)

Admittedly my recollection is what I saw of that game. That is all the metrics I have for my general 'trench thrashing' comment (so take it FWIW). But my memory of it: Ravens giving up nothing on the ground, rushing 4 and getting to Brady real quickly, our D getting no pressure on Flacco with Flacco seeing some pretty open targets. I did recall their run game having success beyond that atrocious opening gouging but I'll take your/AJ's word that our rush D played well the rest of the way.
My overall general impression was the Ravens seemed to be playing VERY downhill while we were playing VERY uphill. Given we had what was thought to be a damn good team that was heavily favored, getting distinctly beat in the trenches/out muscled seems a reasonable conclusion, no?

With that said, if Brady has his quick release Welker target? Maybe we sustain a few more drives in the first half, slow down the onslaught, maybe that keeps the score closer, maybe the momentum swings our way and fires up the D, maybe the OL finds a better footing, maybe we pull out a win. Anything is possible but I gotta tell ya brother, that seems an awful lot of maybes that Welker would have made fall our way....

I don't know if anyone has heard but the Pats D gave up 200 yards in a quarter.

The most maddening thing to me was seeing one of the Pats videos from 2009 and knowing that BB was planning on taking Welker out early in the Houston game.

I also think that the 'loss of air' came into play the next playoffs, when BB decided to take Welker out for a few plays because of his foot jokes.

Those two Rat losses were low points that were close to as bad as 2007.

Well at least I remembered the right season :)

Admittedly my recollection is what I saw of that game. That is all the metrics I have for my general 'trench thrashing' comment (so take it FWIW). But my memory of it: Ravens giving up nothing on the ground, rushing 4 and getting to Brady real quickly, our D getting no pressure on Flacco with Flacco seeing some pretty open targets. I did recall their run game having success beyond that atrocious opening gouging but I'll take your/AJ's word that our rush D played well the rest of the way.
My overall general impression was the Ravens seemed to be playing VERY downhill while we were playing VERY uphill. Given we had what was thought to be a damn good team that was heavily favored, getting distinctly beat in the trenches/out muscled seems a reasonable conclusion, no?

With that said, if Brady has his quick release Welker target? Maybe we sustain a few more drives in the first half, slow down the onslaught, maybe that keeps the score closer, maybe the momentum swings our way and fires up the D, maybe the OL finds a better footing, maybe we pull out a win. Anything is possible but I gotta tell ya brother, that seems an awful lot of maybes that Welker would have made fall our way....

The thing about that game is that it was pretty much over after the first 11 minutes once the Ravens led 24-0.

After Rice's 83-yd TD on the opening play (due almost entirely to Meriweather free-lancing), the Ravens scored a TD from 17 yards out after Brady got strip-sacked by Suggs on the Pats third offensive play of the game. Then, after an exchange of 3-and-outs, the Ravens scored a third TD from 25 yards out after Chris Carr picked off Brady's 4th pass attempt of the game. Brady's next pass attempt was picked off by Ed Reed and returned 25 yards to the Pats' 9-yard-line, but the Pats defense held the Ravens to a FG.

In about the middle of Q3, Dawan Landry ran back Brady's 3rd pick of the game 42 yards to the Pats' 18 but had to settle for another FG as the Pats defense held again.
-----
By the end of that first quarter, the Ravens had gained 42 yards on 17 plays (aside from Rice's run). Flacco had completed 2 of 5 passes for 14 yards.

Over the next three quarters of play, Flacco only attempted 5 more passes, completing three for 20 total yards with one picked off by Tully Banta-Cain (the Pats went 3-and-out). Flacco's stat line for the game was 4/10 for 34 yards with one interception. I'm pretty sure that set a modern era record for fewest pass attempts in a playoff game that will stand until the end of civilization.

And, after the Rice breakaway TD, the Ravens ran the ball 51 more times against the Pats for an average of less than three yards per carry. And it wasn't until well into Q4 that the Ravens put up an actual scoring drive (52) yards.

The Pats defense really wasn't the problem.
-----
Meanwhile, Edelman caught 6 of 8 targets for 44 yards and both Pats' TDs in his first start. He also had a 28-yard punt return.

I honestly haven't kept up with practice rules - could have have gotten a concussion outside of the game?

Or can concussion symptoms be delayed and he got it during the game?
Well it certainly didn’t come from football. I’m pretty sure Exponent already proved that to be impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back