PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Car@NE - Rewatch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To @Tony2046 and others that have access to all-22 films. Is it possible to post clips that include the very beginning of the play, e.g., the huddle, or even include a little carryover from the last play?

I'm interested in seeing how many of the busted plays by the DBs are a result of McCourty switching into a different coverage or changing matchups after the defensive call comes into the huddle, based on what he sees with the offense pre-snap motioning.

Another thing I want to see is if Van Noy does the same thing when he has the green dot. Hightower is great at diagnosing and communicating post-call change of scheme or coverages, but I'm not feeling like I'm seeing the same from Van Noy.

To @Tony2046 and others that have access to all-22 films. Is it possible to post clips that include the very beginning of the play, e.g., the huddle, or even include a little carryover from the last play?

I'm interested in seeing how many of the busted plays by the DBs are a result of McCourty switching into a different coverage or changing matchups after the defensive call comes into the huddle, based on what he sees with the offense pre-snap motioning.

Another thing I want to see is if Van Noy does the same thing when he has the green dot. Hightower is great at diagnosing and communicating post-call change of scheme or coverages, but I'm not feeling like I'm seeing the same from Van Noy.

I don't edit anything out of the videos I post. I choose which plays to record and record the entirety of what they have and then piece them together for the final product.

If you want something specific I wouldn't mind putting the all 22 clips together with the live broadcast view for one or two plays.

. The last edge rusher ( was this van Noy?) is so slow getting off the snap that by the time he even reaches the right tackle, newton practically has the ball out of his hands..and of course the pass rush move he attempts to make is a very weak shuck and doesn't fool the tackle at all. Whoever this last edge rusher is, he showed poor burst, poor speed, and a weak pass rushing move

If you are talking about the TD right before the half, then all of these criticisms appear to be intentional rather than a lack of skill. The slow start and tentative approach are quite clearly by design, and the pass rush move seems to be about containment more than pressure. Had the DBs held coverage for more than a second, it wouldn't have been an issue.

In work but Cannon sets a soft edge here and could have been beating several ways.

Peppers just gives him a quick punch/swat before the rip move and puts Cannon on his back.

I have never seen our guys complaint so much about the refs.

Can you please keep those "observations" in other threads. This one here is for tape review and not whining about refs.

Can you please keep those "observations" in other threads. This one here is for tape review and not whining about refs.

I have never seen our guys complaint so much about the refs....

IMO, this post would could have been decent if it just made some explicit reference to particular plays (or even better, film of those plays). Do you have any idea which plays our guys were complaining about? It is not practical for us to watch an entire game film just to try to find these ref complaints. Furthermore, that observation might be better as a question to invite discussion. I would post this same idea like this:

On plays X1, X2, and X3 our players Y1 and Y2 were seen complaining to the refs in the broadcast film (sorry, don't have a clip of it).

Can other people think examples of our players complaining like this? It seemed like more than normal to me.

That post invites film based discussions more than your original. I would have responded with this:

I don't edit anything out of the videos I post. I choose which plays to record and record the entirety of what they have and then piece them together for the final product.

If you want something specific I wouldn't mind putting the all 22 clips together with the live broadcast view for one or two plays.

Ok, I'm guessing they crop these plays at their end- never mind that then.

Ok, I'm guessing they crop these plays at their end- never mind that then.

For that reason marketing it “coaches film“ is really pushing it and misleading (not to mention I get it 3 days after the game). It's a great feature but “all-22“ is what it is..

In work but Cannon sets a soft edge here and could have been beating several ways.

Peppers just gives him a quick punch/swat before the rip move and puts Cannon on his back.

Question about this sack. Is the center part of the oline collapsing part of the problem ? Brady has nowhere to step up in the pocket.

Question about this sack. Is the center part of the oline collapsing part of the problem ? Brady has nowhere to step up in the pocket.

Absolutely.

Pressure up the gut is so valuable nowadays bc of guys like Brady, who for years just slid past guys like Freeny and Mathis who would rush by him.

Maneuvering, manipulating a pocket is a skill few have but it's almost moot on plays like that.

Look over here ..... So I can throw over there. College.

Just play man to man tomorrow.

That's why I think we'll begin to see some improvements in the defense. Winston is mobile but prefers to throw from the pocket. I think we will see less contain out of the front and more man to man than we've seen any other week except Week 2. This should simplify things for the secondary more than the zone concepts and Cover-3 they've been playing under the advisement of a coaching staff that is horrified of mobile quarterbacks.

Nice battle between Caff and Chung. Chung doesn't bite on the fakes, stays tight to his hip (lol He's all over him here and good for it) and finishes

Ok @PP2 You were right about the bunch formations. That was the biggest issue. Sometimes a man in motion threw them off as well.

It was not just Gilmore. And I do not buy that "One faulty gear throws off the whole clock" stuff either. Chung and Rowe were equally complicit in the gaffs. There are plays in which Gilmore has nothing to do with the gaff..

Anyway, I'm sure they'll get it resolved one way or another.

I'll call this masterpiece " A bunch of bunches" :D

My thoughts but remember I'm just a novice who is guessing here.

1. I'm not sure if this is man or zone. Chung follows the TE pre-snap but picks up a completely different player post snap. The TE he originally followed makes a first down. Chung does communicate something when he gets to the right side of the formation.

TE runs to the left side pre snap and then runs back to the right side post snap.

upload_2017-10-5_0-58-33.png

2. Rowe picks up the correct receiver out of the bunch formation but lets him drift 8 yards away from him towards the sideline. He's spying the QB. I understand spying the QB but stick with your assignment.

Question: Is this a type of coverage? For example I usually see Butler stick to his man and play the hands and I see guys who play the receiver's eyes and I see guys who spy the QB but usually they all do that while tracking their assignments.

I've heard of getting run over by a truck or Beastmode but Rowe got run over by a Ford Fiesta.
upload_2017-10-5_1-6-58.png

3. Communication seemed fine just Funchess eating Butler's lunch on this one. This play doesn't even bother me. This was a good timing route.

4. Rowe picks up Funchess late out of the bunch formation and then misses the tackle. Communication looked ok on this one though.

upload_2017-10-5_1-18-8.png

5. Ok play has been discussed enough about how the coverage was blown. I do wonder why they are not jamming one of or some of the receivers at the line of scrimmage. These routes have rubs designed into them. Jam them at the line and that changes their timing. Even if they were playing man they could still jam them at the line. imo.

upload_2017-10-5_1-35-7.png

6. I just want to add that Rowe followed Funchess in motion.

7. Whoops. This one slipped in. It's not a bunch formation.. But Gilmore had his guy covered.....

8. This one sucks. I'm not even sure who should be where. Two guys wide open underneath. It's 1st and 10. Prevent defense?

upload_2017-10-5_1-49-44.png

9. This was ugly too although I finally saw a DB jam the receiver at the line. Maybe they need to stop watching the QB's eyes and stick to the receivers once the pick them up. It almost seems like they're running a Cover 1 Robber 4 scheme or something.

upload_2017-10-5_1-59-6.png

1. I'm not sure if this is man or zone. Chung follows the TE pre-snap but picks up a completely different player post snap. The TE he originally followed makes a first down. Chung does communicate something when he gets to the right side of the formation.

TE runs to the left side pre snap and then runs back to the right side post snap.

This looks like cover 1 man under to me, although it is hard to tell because so much of you defense bites on the play action so hard (that happened so much last week also). I think it is M2M because of how the defenders on the bottom of the screen are turning toward the receivers rather than staying in backpedal. Also notice the single high safety.

I think Gilmore failed to cover his guy because of the play action (as 2/3 LBs). Chung dropped that TE that he was supposed to cover to pick up Gilmore's guy who was a deeper threat. If Roberts # 52 recognized the play action sooner he could have also picked up the TE, although I imagine he had the "underneath hole" aka robber zone.

I will just post this link since it helps show the attempted coverage as I see it. Again, I am not that confident given how fundamentally blown the coverage was.

NFL 101: Introducing the Basics of Cover 1

upload_2017-10-5_3-19-50.png

Last edited:
2. Rowe picks up the correct receiver out of the bunch formation but lets him drift 8 yards away from him towards the sideline. He's spying the QB. I understand spying the QB but stick with your assignment.

Question: Is this a type of coverage? For example I usually see Butler stick to his man and play the hands and I see guys who play the receiver's eyes and I see guys who spy the QB but usually they all do that while tracking their assignments.

I am pretty sure this is cover 3. The outside CBs are dropping back into the deep thirds IMO. The coverage should have worked if Rowe was capable of tackling on this play. Should have been a 2 yard gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe