PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Car@NE - Rewatch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is simple Power but check out how we're matched up. Simple personnel.

Wise, Marsh, Flowers, Hightower with KVN blitzing the A gap.

NOT what you want.

Wise attacks with a single arm stab to the inside shoulder. Correct shoulder.

Looked like he could have timed his stride and punch better. It was an effective snap except for not countering inside when he has what looks like Daryl Williams ass pointing to the sideline. Remember an olinemens ass should alwaysbe pointed towards the QB. Hightower on the opposite side hit Kalil with a quick punch inside and a chop. Something like that along timed with a lateral move would have worked in a perfect world. Again that's something you expect from an experienced vet.

That's a move you expect from an experienced standout player. Not bashing Wise by any means bc he beat his man on that rep. He's been great and hopefully keeps processing and GETTING FOR SNAPS!!!

Marsh and KVN do nothing here. Marsh gets washed by Turner and KVN gets tossed aside easily by what looks like Tyler Larsen

Flowers either plans on getting his man upfield to cut kick back inside or recognizes the play and tries to make a play. His man gets the better of him here.

Hightower has a decent rep against Kalil with a quick punch/stab to the inside shoulder with a nice chop to free himself up.

The next closest Patriot is McCourty who was bull-dog'd by Caff on this play. Caff was on him on this play.

Don't ask me. You are the one who said Gilmore has been called out.

He admitted he blew the coverage on hills 75 yard TD.

He seems potential accountable in many other plays. He isn't covering very well. If he is the leader and communication is bad, you have to look at him.

Your exact quotes were "I have not seen any player or coach call him out. Can you show me these?" to which I stated that we will not see this happen under BB- that's just not the culture we have, and is additionally why McCourty threw himself under the bus rather do that to anyone else.

But it doesn't and shouldn't stop us from pointing our fingers at someone. And it is my belief that Gilmore is at this point, the weak link. This is not to harp on what he brings to the table, because once he knows what he is doing, he is very good.

We all know these players are individually very good at what they do, and they have the attitude (not like 2009, thankfully), so to me, the only possible culprit is the psychology- e.g., the trust, the chemistry.

Thursday will be very interesting- I think that because of the lack of turnaround time, BB hasn't spent any time on corrections, and probably didn't even review game tape with the team (saving this for the mini-bye). He probably moved right on to the game plan for Tampa Bay that likely was prepared at the same time as the one for Carolina.

My guess is that he either stays the course as far as the defense gameplan, or tries to simply things even further. You can bet the DB group is burning the midnight oil on fixing the communication (trust) issues.

Good snaps for Flowers, Hightower and Wise.

This is why Flowers was a binky of mine. Not many players in the league like him. Look at this animal. Hits his man with some violent hand chops and arm over that leaves his guy on the ground hes so off balanced.

This is where I want Flowers more with Wise attacking off the edge. Flowers taking advantage of slower IOL and another rusher around the loop.

Flowers is becoming a "great" player. He continues to improve consistently and we have a top 15-20 defensive player.

Good things always seem to happen when 54 rushes the passer and Hightower beats his man here. Sweet chop and swat/club to beat his man.

Man Wise looks good. I know Rivers was counted on and I'm so pissed hes hurt. Wise has been great though.

I wish he would get a little smaller here before attacking but he frees himself up with his left hand (in turn Turners right goes high which could have be called hands to face) and proceeds to just move Turner with a single arm lift (one arm is longer than 2) Great rep.

IOL shows up here. Not pretty but thats football. Thuney seals his man off and gets his hand(s)underneath him. Andrews and Mason end up on the ground but ultimately clear the the path. Devlin takes on the immediate threat closest to him and Gillislee make his man miss.

IDL and LB play at its worse

Guy fights through but is doubled and sealed off. Good effort.

Brown is just bodied. Good effort but absolutely no reason to think or expect any explosion there. In other words no shed at all.

What worse is our LB'S here.

I mean I'd say they misdiagnosed the play but Roberts runs 400 mph into a wall and KVN gets caught hesitating to close to the l.o.s. and is d.o.a. once hands are on him.

Roberts has 19 TKL without a missed one. 3rd in the league I believe. Clearly hes missed some reads.

DO NOT HESITATE KVN! You have to pause it and watch it slow but he does and it kills him here.

Your exact quotes were "I have not seen any player or coach call him out. Can you show me these?" to which I stated that we will not see this happen under BB- that's just not the culture we have, and is additionally why McCourty threw himself under the bus rather do that to anyone else.
Again YOU SAID THEY CALLED HIM OUT. That is why I asked you to show me him being called out. Now you say they don't call pkayers out.
So we now agree you were wrong to say he was called out?

Not sure I believe McCourty would lie and less sure how you would know it if he did. Seems you want to believe McCourty didn't screw up and Gilmore did so you are bending the facts with no justification

But it doesn't and shouldn't stop us from pointing our fingers at someone.
If you don't know the call and therefore don't know who is responsible for the breakdown you are just making up who to point a finger at and have zero confidence you are right.

And it is my belief that Gilmore is at this point, the weak link.
to wit

This is not to harp on what he brings to the table, because once he knows what he is doing, he is very good.

We all know these players are individually very good at what they do, and they have the attitude (not like 2009, thankfully), so to me, the only possible culprit is the psychology- e.g., the trust, the chemistry.

Thursday will be very interesting- I think that because of the lack of turnaround time, BB hasn't spent any time on corrections, and probably didn't even review game tape with the team (saving this for the mini-bye). He probably moved right on to the game plan for Tampa Bay that likely was prepared at the same time as the one for Carolina.
McCourty says they studied the film long and hard. No way BB doesn't make corrections.

My guess is that he either stays the course as far as the defense gameplan, or tries to simply things even further. You can bet the DB group is burning the midnight oil on fixing the communication (trust) issues.
I think there will be personell changes and there have to be game plan changes because the game plans have sucked.

Cam to Funchess.

Funchess runs a *Bang-8* route

(10-12 steps sometimes down the seem, before you break off inside)

Now I understand not wanting to give up the top and let your man beat you, stack you and score. This is crazy though.

Butler is almost a legit 10 yards away from his man and in turn letting a big guy get up to full speed way too close to the red zone.

Butler, physically, is just too far away from Funchess at every point during this play.

I mean hes conceding the inside from jump to a WR who uses his body to win.

That QB draw play on that twitter post reminded me of a play the Texans ran. Here is a clip from @Tony2046 vid.

I wonder if CAR saw this in the tape. The formations they ran it out of are a bit different (HOU was empty backfield).

Quite possibly.

Either way the Carolina one was more about personnel imho. We're not stopping Carolinas Power run, even if it is Cam, a QB. With Marsh and Flowers inside and a blitzing KVN, who just got tossed aside.

Gotta go to sleep but I'll start posting some all 22 stuff soon. It's nice to have actual football discussion.

Gronk is still a top 25 overall player and these are 2 Great examples. Comes through against one of the best with an not so easy catch. And takes half the defense with him on another play.

Going to post this here as well although it is all of Brady's sacks for the season and my thoughts.

Sack #:

1. Gronk was wide open. White looked somewhat open. I think Brady was looking deep for Hogan.
2. #69 Shaq Mason responsibility here? I don't know. Andrews ends up losing leverage.
3. #69 Mason. What's his responsibility here? I don't know.
4. Brady trips over Gillislee's foot.
5. Thuney inadvertently pushes a DT into Solder's legs. Solder loses his block.
6. White misses his chip on the way out of the backfield.
7. #60 Andrews misses picking up his block.
8. No one picks up CB blitz from Texan CB #21.
9. Saints' DE lines up real wide. Solder fails to pick him up.
10. Coverage Sack in the redzone.
11. Cannon Whiffed. (this is around the time he suffered his ankle injury)
12. #69 Mason. What's his responsibility here. He blocks no one.
13. Injured Cannon Whiffed.

Even if it contradicts what I just posted.. BaldyNFL seems to agree with @ALP that this was not as much of a coverage bust as a positive play from Butler:

If Butler really did the right thing here then I wonder who is supposed to cover #17 in case Newton would check down ? Keep in mind this is a third down play (third & 4). @ALP any idea ?

I think it is more likely this play was a lucky bust. It reminded me of the play last week where Gilmore dropped back as if he was in a cover 3, yet the rest of the D was doing a cover 2 zone look. Recall, that was the play where Gilmore and J Jones where discussing things.

IMO, in this play Buttler is dropping back as if he is in cover 3, while the team is playing a M2M. I agree with the take that @long distance found.

Some re-watch notes from Benoit

However, if it was a good read by Butler, I bet they saw it in the tape before hand. Perhaps it was like the SB interception where Butler had practiced against that specific play. I still think bust however.

Reactions: PP2
Does anyone have the Defensive snap counts?

How many snaps did Hightower play in this game?

Not sure why you would think so; we are discussing facts, not name-calling. Andy brings a lot of insight to the table and sometimes his arguments have made me change my mind.

Because the thread is meant to be strictly for talking about film and scenes from the game. I get that you guys are not too far off topic, the worry and why we kinda want to keep it strictly around the tape for a bit is just so none of the hawt taek bozos starts a total tangent based on a throwaway line from a back and forth between two posters. The mods have been pretty good about removing unrelated posts so far.

Obviously, it is entirely possible that I feel a bit too strict about what is too far off topic. But it felt it is easier to moderate and flag posts for being unrelated if you set up very strict guidelines than if you allow a big gray zone.

However, if it was a good read by Butler, I bet they saw it in the tape before hand. Perhaps it was like the SB interception where Butler had practiced against that specific play. I still think bust however.

The thing that just makes me doubt it was drawn up like that is because it was a 3rd & 4 and Funchess who plays decoy has over 10yds of free space all around before Newton even starts his throwing motion.

I just cant see Patricia rolling the dice so hard on Newton not recognizing the double coverage, not finishing his progressions and not dumping the ball off for an easy completion to Funchess who is just standing around.

It had to be either a bust or Butler just putting all his chips to the middle of the table because he recognized something. Not sure if I should respect his balls or be disappointed that he played outside the scheme risking another big play.

Does anyone have the Defensive snap counts?

How many snaps did Hightower play in this game?

Via PatsPulpit: Snap Count Report: Panthers at Patriots (Week 4):

offense.png

defense.png

Because the thread is meant to be strictly for talking about film and scenes from the game. I get that you guys are not too far off topic, the worry and why we kinda want to keep it strictly around the tape for a bit is just so none of the hawt taek bozos starts a total tangent based on a throwaway line from a back and forth between two posters. The mods have been pretty good about removing unrelated posts so far.

Obviously, it is entirely possible that I feel a bit too strict about what is too far off topic. But it felt it is easier to moderate and flag posts for being unrelated if you set up very strict guidelines than if you allow a big gray zone.

No, you're right. I'm guilty of veering from the philosophy of the rewatch thread. My apologies. Back to X and O's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe