PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the resurrection edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post. I'm more optimistic on Gordon. I think that provided he is picking up the offense well, which was being reported pregame, there is no reason why he shouldn't leap over every WR on the depth chart not named JE. Whether that is very soon or a few weeks away I don't know.

On D...clearly BB didn't fear Miami's passing game which allowed NE to dominate at the LOS.

This is interesting, because I saw it the other way: They didn't respect the Miami running game, so they played a lot of dime sets and trusted their big guys to win the LOS on their own. I think that helped them cover the speed of the Dolphins receivers with a little more speed of their own.

Miami coaching was steps behind the Pats coaching all day, except perhaps on the first pick.

This is interesting, because I saw it the other way: They didn't respect the Miami running game, so they played a lot of dime sets and trusted their big guys to win the LOS on their own. I think that helped them cover the speed of the Dolphins receivers with a little more speed of their own.
Early, it looked like NE had a lot bodies near LOS. After Detroit busted up NE's right side of the DL...yesterday it looked fortified. Hightower was on the LOS scrimmage at times. McCourty made a tackle behind the LOS. I can't get into BB's mind but my fear coming into this game was Miami's use of their their little speedster WRs in the running game (Jets Sweep). I was flabbergasted Miami never went to these gadget plays......something about the Pats look dissuaded Miami.
Whatever the intent, Miami couldn't rush the ball and Tannehill was incapable of executing the passing game, even when down by several scores and NE traditionally softens up coverage.
Pats D deserves most of the credit but Miami O never showed up. Felt like the Pats O last week.
You never know
Look at Tampa....Jeckyll n Hyde

I can't get into BB's mind but my fear coming into this game was Miami's use of their their little speedster WRs in the running game (Jets Sweep). I was flabbergasted Miami never went to these gadget plays......something about the Pats look dissuaded Miami.

Just a minor point of clarification. A "Jet Sweep" is when the WR comes in motion and gets tossed the ball by the QB as he's coming past the Center. A "Jets Sweep" is when we beat the Jets twice a year. With Darnold's continued spiral down the Jets' QB vortex, we should see a lot of both this year.

Didn't get to see the game, but watched the highlight. For me, Sony looked smooth - that's the best word I can come up with. One of his bigger runs (off the left side) really showed that - he wasn't straining to get to the corner but wasn't dogging it. If anything , he reminded me of Randy Moss in that he had the same almost-effortless stride. Add to that the patience he showed on some of the other runs - I think we may have a winner here.

It was nice to finally have some good moments as a fan, for the first time this year I feel confident again watching. The 1st Gordon catch, the series of phins 3 and outs, and the Patterson TD, Sony breaking out, Hightower playing better for at least a few plays, and a few other moments were great yesterday.

Ken, "I waited over 4 years and never thought I would see the day where James White would run 24 yds for a TD on a running play. He is NOT a good RB, and never will be, but he IS an outstanding receiver and has made himself into one of the top guys on the offense. I was wondering what skills he had that has made him such a good run after the catch guy. His hands are obvious, but next time you watch him notice just how fast he transitions from catching the ball with his back to the LOS, to facing it to attack the D. There is zero wasted motion. So while the first guy who hits him is likely to bring him down, his hands and his transition quickness can make you forget that inadequacy, and gives us a VERY effective player."

I have concluded I know NOTHING about football and am just a fan. I was not thrilled with Josh's numerous calls for White to run the ball that had yielded little, so after the bad snap fumble recovery by the Pats, I said, "Please Josh, no run up the middle by White"
White proceeds to run untouched 22 yards for a TD.

"I waited over 4 years and never thought I would see the day where James White would run 24 yds for a TD on a running play."

I would say that I'm sorry you missed the most recent Super Bowl, but honestly you're better off.

Wonder if the decrease in sudden quickness has anything to do with the work he does with Guerrero. Or maybe it is just the ankle injury that has been bothering for a bit.

IMO, Gronk hasn't lost any speed...he is just being handicapped by giving DB's piggy back rides literally....

Yesterday, he was one on one ONCE and had a nice and easy reception across the middle...I couldn't believe my eyes, LOL.

Good summary. I will say our Defense usually plays well when we are in front and its when we are behind and need them to hold is when we get let down. They looked really good in this small sample size and playing from out front. They need to prove hey can do it in a close game,

Patterson looks fast but fell down again untouched in the backfield.

Patterson looks fast but fell down again untouched in the backfield.

He looks like the teenage kid that's two things:

1) Not used to his own body yet where he has the physical gifts, but just can't quite access them properly every time.

2) Has his mind going a million miles a second thinking about the next four things he's going to do "okay straight arm there", "high step there" then into "a straight rush through contact" when he realizes "aaaaggh, falling...!"

Or Lucy just yanked the football away again. One or the other.

Last edited:
I love the way Gordon catches the ball with his hands. I was trying to think about Sony's running style. He reminds me a little bit like Tomlinson, the way he kind of slips through the line and tacklers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back